Event - REFUEL at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca 07/01/12

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy3

Since 2009, Speed Ventures' REFUEL has opened world-famous Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca to electric cars and motorcycles for a showcase of cutting-edge technology in a motorsports setting. Production vehicles, prototypes, conversions and purpose-built race cars and bikes are provided no-cost sessions on track and invited to participate in the SportElectric Time Trial. Temporary charging power is provided in the paddock and beginner orientation is provided for those who are new driving on a race track.

See http://www.refuelraces.com/index.html

Nadar did this last year and posted some great pictures. This year it's on Sunday, 07/01/2012. Sounds like a great event!

Participated in REFUEL 2011 and can’t recommend it enough. Super location, well organized, safe, and fun (MINI E in upper left corner ahead of red Tesla).

Only regret is that I didn’t prepare better as a driver. Driver meetings before and after each driving session provide a lot of information for the first timer to absorb. Driving on a track is a whole new set of things to pay attention to. If I had to do again, I would know the layout of the track better (a friend that practiced on Gran Turismo was way ahead of me prep wise), or see about getting track time with an instructor before driving in the actual EV sessions. REFUEL organizers had instructors available for consultation/instruction before, during, and after each session. A little prep will help you relax and enjoy the experience. If you have not previously been on a track before, I can’t recommend it enough.

I used to dream of doing something like that, but with 250 pounds in the driver's seat and 74 year old reaction times it seems kind of silly now. I think I'll leave it to you young tykes.

Besides, I wonder what kind of stats might get logged for Nissan to discover next year, or when I turn my leased car in a year later :!:

Ray

EricBayArea said:
That seems awesome. I would totally do it if:
1) I could get there in the LEAF
2) I could get home in the LEAF
3) I had a set of track wheels :)

MINI was my race car, chase car, ride home, hotel shuttle, tool crib, and suitcase :)

I'm bumping this, since the event is this weekend. I'm working hard (from Montana) at getting one or more of the Andromeda Power DC chargers there.

The track does have 480v / 3 phase, in a centrally located paddock. We can put tents up, and I'm waiting to hear back from the electric guy as to how many amps that we can pull.

I will have to leave here early to make this happen, but I am trying.

Please keep us informed. I may come in the LEAF if QC is available, otherwise considering the backup gas car (ick!).

Note, I heard that REFUEL is all booked up now, so it may be too late if you haven't registered and hoped to drive your vehicle on the track.

TEG said:
Please keep us informed. I may come in the LEAF if QC is available, otherwise considering the backup gas car (ick!).

Note, I heard that REFUEL is all booked up now, so it may be too late if you haven't registered and hoped to drive your vehicle on the track.

My car is confirmed for the track.

TonyWilliams said:
I'm bumping this, since the event is this weekend. ... I will have to leave here early to make this happen, but I am trying.
Are you flying in or driving that gas-guzzling speed-ticketed Jeep ALL THE WAY from MT ? :shock:

All:

The SF BayLEAFs has been in touch with Nissan and are working to get a mobile DCQC for REFUEL. If you were thinking of attending this event in your LEAF, make your plans. There also might be a Nissan LEAF engineer there with the DCQC. .

We should have this confirmed with more details in the next day or so.

LEAFer said:
TonyWilliams said:
I'm bumping this, since the event is this weekend. ... I will have to leave here early to make this happen, but I am trying.
Are you flying in or driving that gas-guzzling speed-ticketed Jeep ALL THE WAY from MT ? :shock:

I'm flying commercial to GTF-SAN, and then may take the Piper Malibu from MYF-MRY. If Nissan is actually showing up with the generator and AeroVironment QC, for the tiny number of LEAFs that will attend, it might not be much benefit to anybody for me to be there. Plus, it will cost me a lot of money and time I could be using elsewhere.

So, I'll continue to make the necessary plans, but consider letting Nissan get "all the glory". By the way, still haven't heard if there are enough amps available to us anyway.

If anybody wants to ride up with me, I'm scheduled to depart San Diego MYF airport at 4pm this Saturday, to arrive in Salinas at about 7pm.

Current intermediate stop is SNA or FUL.

I'll return from SNS to MYF after the event on the evening of Sunday, July 1.

I'll be happy to pick up folks from any SoCal airport. I have two seats empty.

EDIT: change from Monterey to Salinas airport. I'll be staying at Courtyard in SNS.

1- Me
2- JeremyW

So here is an update on the SF BayLEAFs participation at REFUEL

So we know that Tony Williams BC2BC car will be there on its return trip from Canada, and so will Tony!

An Update on the DCQC:
It is confirmed that Nissan will provide one of their mobile DC QC units for free quick charges at the track. Track participants get first priority on the charger, but it is open to anyone that has a CHAdeMO equipped car.

A special guest for the event will be one of the Nissan LEAF Durability Engineers from their Arizona Testing Facility. He is entered to race that day, and would enjoy talking to SF BayLEAF members about how their cars are doing, and EVs in general. We will have a special paddock parking area just for SF BayLEAF LEAF (and non-member) owners, plus Quick charging courtesy of Nissan.

So all in all this, Sunday is going to be a great EV weekend at Laguna Seca. Hope to see you there!

TonyWilliams said:
EDIT: change from Monterey to Salinas airport. I'll be staying at Courtyard in SNS.

1- Me
2- JeremyW

Tony, is this the Courtyard on Mortensen Ave? If so, I might be interested in parking the ActiveE at Rabobank and hitching a ride with you to the race track.

OrientExpress said:
A special guest for the event will be one of the Nissan LEAF Durability Engineers from their Arizona Testing Facility. He is entered to race that day, and would enjoy talking to SF BayLEAF members about how their cars are doing, and EVs in general. We will have a special paddock parking area just for SF BayLEAF LEAF (and non-member) owners, plus Quick charging courtesy of Nissan.
Gary, this is awesome, great to hear it.

surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:

1- Me
2- JeremyW

Tony, is this the Courtyard on Mortensen Ave? If so, I might be interested in parking the ActiveE at Rabobank and hitching a ride with you to the race track.
It's actually 17225 El Rancho Way in Salinas. 101 to Laurel Ave, turn right. I'll be staying there Saturday night as well. I've got dibs on the Rabobank charging station. Although I'll be using it Saturday night so I have some reasonable charge when I arrive at the track on Sunday morning. Among all of us, we can get you over to the track.

gascant said:
It's actually 17225 El Rancho Way in Salinas. 101 to Laurel Ave, turn right. I'll be staying there Saturday night as well. I've got dibs on the Rabobank charging station. Although I'll be using it Saturday night so I have some reasonable charge when I arrive at the track on Sunday morning. Among all of us, we can get you over to the track.
Ah, thanks for clarifying that! I might be able to make it on one charge, but an hour opportunity charge along the route would help. I will ping you off-list.

OrientExpress said:
A special guest for the event will be one of the Nissan LEAF Durability Engineers from their Arizona Testing Facility

Oh boy! I have questions for him! ;) This is going to be a fun Sunday!

Jeremy

JeremyW said:
OrientExpress said:
A special guest for the event will be one of the Nissan LEAF Durability Engineers from their Arizona Testing Facility

Oh boy! I have questions for him! ;) This is going to be a fun Sunday!

Jeremy

Bring your barf bags, Ace. You're not going to be feeling too well after three hours of aerobatics.

Back