k2msmith
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2011

Souther California to Northern California Trip

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:43 am

I need to move my car from Ventura area in SoCal up to San Jose. I'm not gonna ship. I want to drive it ! Does anyone have any suggestions on charge stop locations ? Here is the route I am thinking:

1) Camarillo to Goleta Nissan (charge) 58. miles
2) Goleta to Nissan Santa Maria (66 miles)
3) Santa Maria to SLO (30 miles) - Lunch !

so that gets me about half way there...any suggestions for the rest. ? Salinas is too far (128 miles ). King City is 80 miles but I worry about range/mountains after SLO. i don't know if there is an L2 in King City.

K

EricBayArea
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2011

Re: Souther California to Northern California Trip

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:11 am

Tony Williams did the Mexico to Canada trip. Here was his projected trip route:

http://www.quickchargepower.com/#!timeline

(sorry Tony, but the website is awful ;) )
Last edited by EricBayArea on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color: Cayenne Red
Plate: I PLGIN

TonyWilliams

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:17 am

EricBayArea wrote:Tony Williamson did the Mexico to Canada trip. Here was his projected trip route:

http://www.quickchargepower.com/#!timeline

(sorry Tony, but the website is awful ;) )

I'm sorry, too. The guy who could update it is no longer available.

EricBayArea
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2011

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:20 am

It's all good :)

P.S. Just fixed your name. Not sure why I wrote "Williamson" in the first place.
Color: Cayenne Red
Plate: I PLGIN

TonyWilliams

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:21 am

k2msmith wrote:I need to move my car from Ventura area in SoCal up to San Jose. I'm not gonna ship. I want to drive it ! Does anyone have any suggestions on charge stop locations ? Here is the route I am thinking:

so that gets me about half way there...any suggestions for the rest. ? Salinas is too far (128 miles ). King City is 80 miles but I worry about range/mountains after SLO. i don't know if there is an L2 in King City.

K

You need a modified EVSE and then hit the RV park in Paso Robles and King City. On my trip, I went up highway 1 (PCH), but I don't recommend that route of almost 100 miles from Morro Bay to Big Sur (RV park).

You can click on my signature line, "Mexico 2 Canada" to find out more.

TonyWilliams

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:22 am

EricBayArea wrote:It's all good :)

P.S. Just fixed your name. Not sure why I wrote "Williamson" in the first place.

After King William, they were all "William-Son", which got shortened to Williams... Like Charles Town became Charleston.

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:46 pm

And, Co-a-ling-ga came from Coaling Station A (West of I-5 about half way up the lower central CA valley).
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

GoingGreener
Delivery Date: 09 Aug 2011

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:34 pm

A year ago we bought our LEAF at Santa Barbara Nissan in Goleta and drove it back to SF.
The charging infrastructure is still not great yet, but, the #s of L2s might have tripled, so there are probably more options available. It was our first drive, so we relied on Nissan dealerships primarily as we only had the L1 charging cord! We called ahead to the dealerships for their "ok" to charge, out of courtesy. All the dealerships were nice about us staying to charge. Hung out with trucks alot in slow lane. Before this, we had hardly driven with the truckers, and always felt sorry for the slow moving vehicles. But, surprisingly, it was quite relaxing vs. barreling down the highway with everyone else. 345 mile trip.

This is what we did to San Jose:

Santa Barbara Nissan (w/almost 100% charge) to Santa Maria Nissan. Distance almost 67 miles, 1hr.25 min. drive. Charged at SM Nissan for almost 5 hrs. (not 100%, but near).

SM Nissan to San Luis Obispo Coast Nissan. Distance approx 31 miles, 40 min drive. Topped off at L2 for 3 hrs.
A stop was not required in SLO, but we were meeting a friend for dinner.
We just stopped by SLO last week and Target has some L2 chargers. That area will give you some shopping choices if preferable than hanging out at another dealership area.

SLO to Holiday Inn Express, Atascadero. 18.4 miles. L1 charge for 10-11 hrs. Called hotel ahead . They said no problem plugging in with our Panasonic L1 cord. Placed a carpet over our cord to prevent tripping hazard on a less frequented walkway that had outdoor plugs.
Original plan was to stay at a Paso Robles hotel or RV park. Paso Robles hotels all booked due to armed forces being deployed. RV parks had limited entry/exit hours and no car/tent camping allowed.

Holiday Inn Exp, Atascadero to San Lorenzo Park, King City. 65.1 miles. 20 hr. charge on L1 at water and electricity car/tent camping spot ($35 then). This was our "camping" day. Had lunch before we arrived, got minimal supplies for dinner and breakfast (no cooler). SL Park also has RV sites. Not sure if RV sites would have ability to plug in a modified EVSE for L2 charging. We only had L1 then! Give them a call for up-to-date info. We stayed in August and very low-key and empty then, so no reservations required.
http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/parks/sanl ... mping.html
http://www.yelp.com/biz/san-lorenzo-cou ... -king-city

San Lorenzo Park, King City to My Salinas Nissan. 50.5 miles. Approx 1 hr. drive. 3 1/2 hr charge.

My Salinas Nissan to San Jose! 62 mile drive. Approx. 1 hr. 15mins drive for us.

Best of wishes for a safe and fun trip!

k2msmith
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2011

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:43 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:
k2msmith wrote:I need to move my car from Ventura area in SoCal up to San Jose. I'm not gonna ship. I want to drive it ! Does anyone have any suggestions on charge stop locations ? Here is the route I am thinking:

K

> You need a modified EVSE and then hit the RV park in Paso Robles and King City. On my trip, I went up highway 1 (PCH), but I don't recommend that route of almost 100 miles from Morro Bay to Big Sur (RV park).

Can you point me to any info on a the "modified EVSE" charger. that sounds interesting..

You can click on my signature line, "Mexico 2 Canada" to find out more.

KJD
Delivery Date: 08 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 15656

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:05 pm

Can you point me to any info on a the "modified EVSE" charger. that sounds interesting..

http://www.evseupgrade.com/

I got one and it works great.
2012 SL Delivered 12/08/2011
Sold 05/12/2015
2012 Tesla Model S 85

Return to “Pacific USA”