LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stoaty said:
OrientExpress said:
The results are in, and except for a few outliers, no one gives a hoot about a 200+ mile EV because they all cost in excess of $40K.
I guess that is why the Model 3 has about 400,000 reservations... because no one gives a hoot about a 200+ mile EV. What a bunch of nonsense!

¼ to ½ of those reservations are based on hype. We shall see how well reality performs.

40 kWh S , MSRP $27k or less to start. Fine, if that suits most people.

But 60 kWh SL MSRP $35k or less for those who want it, orderable in September and delivered by January at the latest.

I can already lease a Bolt for $200/month, so it better be good.

That's the beauty of the American EV market. Still, nobody wants them, so deals to be had. Most folks don't give a hoot cause they have no compelling reason to hoot. ICEVs meet their needs just fine, thank you. But if they were tempted to an EV, it'd be a Tesla, which is commonly perceived as a rocket on wheels.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
40 kWh S , MSRP $27k or less to start. Fine, if that suits most people.
From your mouth to Nissan's ears. 27k for the 40kWh S, 30k for the 40kWh SV, 32k for the 40kWh SL. Don't know if that's do-able but it would set Leaf 2.0 up against the Bolt and the Ioniq, at least price-wise. Or maybe 29.9K for the S, if it came with the Heat Pump and 6.6kWh L2.

Come on, September! (or at least another teaser shot...)

DaveinOlyWA said:
Stoaty said:
OrientExpress said:
The results are in, and except for a few outliers, no one gives a hoot about a 200+ mile EV because they all cost in excess of $40K.
I guess that is why the Model 3 has about 400,000 reservations... because no one gives a hoot about a 200+ mile EV. What a bunch of nonsense!

¼ to ½ of those reservations are based on hype. We shall see how well reality performs.

And the number of cars that will actually be sold for less than $40K will be incredibly small.

DaveinOlyWA said:
You vastly overstate the number of reservations that were not based on hype !

But that is the case for all premium stuff.

OrientExpress said:
And the number of cars that will actually be sold for less than $40K will be incredibly small.
Tesla estimates avg price will be $42k. So a large # of cars will be < $40k.

The Leaf will be "good enough" for the same rate of sales it currently enjoys, I believe, thanks to the lower price, and availability. Model 3 will be supply constrained at least through 2018 for those who don't already have reservations. I don't think that the SL trim Leaf can honestly compete against the Model 3 base model, simply because all the bells and whistles that are in the SL are already in the base model version of the Model 3, plus additional range, and Super Charger access. When you factor TCO when it comes to residuals, etc, the Model 3 will be substantially cheaper for a 5 year ownership, mostly due to FSD tech which is already rolled in. I don't think that ProPilot, even if it is in the SL version will be beyond Level 2 autonomy in the 2018 or 2019 Leafs.

Disclaimers: 2012 Leaf owner, TSLA stock holder.

Nissan just emailed another teaser...this time a rendered shot of the instrument cluster above the steering wheel with ProPilot on. The charge bubble strip now is a circle and an analog speedometer on the right.

https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/2018-leaf/?dcp=eml.lef.VLP.top_hero_leaf_image_enews_june_go_0622_Int

Ok, let's not degrade into a Tesla, Bolt, and/or other EV discussion. This is about LEAF 2. So, since we don't really know anything, let's speculate some more and have a bit of FUN.

Disclaimer: I know nothing and this is just an over-the-top WAG (or maybe even better, crazy talk). All MSRP prices before incentives and will decrease about $2K per year.
1) $25K, 48 KWh, S base model, 3.8 KW, (cheap interior, no heat pump, navigation, or DCQC)
2) $27K, 48 KWh, S base model+6.6 KW/DCQC (cheap interior, no heat pump, navigation)
3) $30K, 48 KWh, SV comes standard with 6.6 KW/DCQC, heat pump, navigation (no leather)
4) $35K, 60 KWh, SL comes standard with 6.6 KW/DCQC (leather, heat pump, navigation)
All models will include temperature control of the battery.

Now, here's the kicker: The 60 KWh SL will come with Chademo, and CCS, and Tesla SC! Heck, there's plenty of room in the front charging port. The 48 KWh models will come with Chademo and CCS only. All charging is billed by the minute, so no free "No Charge to Charge" program. As part of the agreement with Tesla, Nissan pays a small upfront fee per car that is passed on to the buyer, maybe $1000, but then SC users are billed for electricity at a profit to Tesla. This gives the impression of nationwide charging, helps build out the SC system, which most Nissan drivers won't use unless necessary.

Crazy talk? Yup, but #4 is what will get me to buy another Nissan.

Personally I'm a little disappointed with an analog speedometer since I like the digital one in the current LEAF. Though the rest of the interior looks cool and I do like the other aspects of the dashboard. Probably not a reason not to get the new model at some point. Now add an option to have a digital speedometer in replace of or in addition to the analog one and I'll shut up lol.

sdbmania said:
Personally I'm a little disappointed with an analog speedometer since I like the digital one in the current LEAF. Though the rest of the interior looks cool and I do like the other aspects of the dashboard. Probably not a reason not to get the new model at some point. Now add an option to have a digital speedometer in replace of or in addition to the analog one and I'll shut up lol.
Like OrientExpress said, this will probably have multiple options for displaying the Speedometer...

sdbmania said:

The speedometer is just pixels on the screen. It will have multiple layouts for you to choose from. No one does analog gauges anymore.

Reddy said:
Ok, let's not degrade into a Tesla, Bolt, and/or other EV discussion.

In my defense, this was not my intent. I think that it is perfectly fair to compare what little we do know against the competition, within reason.

With your list, #4 is the only one I would consider to replace my 2012 Leaf.

sdbmania said:

I don't mind an analog speedometer (although as pointed out, it will likely be configurable). It's easier to tell approximate speed without looking directly at it (i.e. via peripheral vision). I will miss having the speed display above the steering wheel, like the current leaf, rather than through the steering wheel like this picture shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back