Why the LEAF Gen 2 and not the 220 miles Tesla Model 3?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nissan isn't known for reliability

Just FYI. Nissan is the third most reliable car maker on the planet. Behind Toyota and Honda. It and Mazda usually duke it out for 3rd and 4th.

Of course, GM sets the bar pretty low.

webb14leafs said:

Just FYI. Nissan is the third most reliable car maker on the planet. Behind Toyota and Honda. It and Mazda usually duke it out for 3rd and 4th.

Oh, my apologies then. I just went with the assumption that it wasn't close to Honda or Toyota because I checked some reviews on True Delta on the 2013-15 Leaf and noticed issues were all over the place.

Good to know Nissan is also quite dependable.

internalaudit said:
webb14leafs said:

Oh, my apologies then. I just went with the assumption that it wasn't close to Honda or Toyota because I checked some reviews on True Delta on the 2013-15 Leaf and noticed issues were all over the place.

Actually, You're correct. They are not close to Honda or Toyota, but they're still 3rd.

I'd say the number of issues are typical of a first generation car. Even first-model year cars can be really bad. The 2001-2002 Honda Accords were horrible because they were a redesign, but by 2004 they had the transmission issues worked out and they were great cars again.

webb14leafs said:
Actually, You're correct. They are not close to Honda or Toyota, but they're still 3rd.

Here is the list from CR for 2016.

http://clark.com/cars/most-least-reliable-cars-consumer-reports/

Lexus
Toyota
Buick
Audi
Kia
Mazda
Hyundai
Infiniti
BMW
Honda
Subaru
Acura
Nissan
Mini
Chevrolet
Porsche
Mercedes-Benz
Ford
Volvo
Lincoln
Cadillac
Volkswagen
Jeep
GMC
Tesla
Dodge
Chrysler
Fiat
Ram

Joe6pack said:
How is it FUD. I read through both threads regarding the most recent updates with both threads beginning Thursday or Friday of last week. Owners reported cars braking from 75 mph down to 45 mph for no reason and almost causing accidents on the freeway. Owners also reported the system following black lines on the pavement instead of the white lines and leaving their lane. A couple of owners reported that they no longer trusted the system and would no longer use it. And it seems to be universally agreed that AP1 is superior to AP2. How is this FUD?

I was researching as I am interested in possibly replacing my LEAF with a used MS. Right now, I would take a car without AutoPilot over one with it. Seriously.
I've driven an AP1 car (Model X, but only about 40 miles total) and an AP2 car. AP1 is superior (still), but AP2 keeps having features added to it to make up the difference. AP1 identified the truck in the next lane as a truck, whereas AP2 only shows it as another car. When I got the S, my AP2 was limited to 60MPH on the highway; now it has no limit. I'm feel pretty confident that AP2 will surpass AP1 by the end of the year.

Meanwhile, I've driven several thousand miles with AP2 engaged. My wife and I are both software engineers, so we were likely far more skeptical about relying on the underlying AP software than most people. But we've found that it just works. On the highway, it is exceptionally reliable. It does poorer on side roads (especially ones with curves). It's a driver assistance system; it does not take over driving(*). You've got to hold onto the steering wheel and be prepared to take over at any instance - with nearly no advance notice.

My first everyday use of AP was when commuting home directly west into the glare of sunset. I couldn't always tell if the car in front of me was suddenly braking, but AP could and did. (FWIW, this was when AP2 was limited to 35MPH on non-highways and before auto-emergency-braking was enabled).

I wasn't sure I would like AP, but having it now (and having used it), I find it a good tool for driving.

(*) that all said, I can not fathom how AP will turn into FSD. It just doesn't seem capable enough -- yet.

edatoakrun said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
edatoakrun said:
But surely with TSLAs production of the "more affordable car", the "$35,000 model 3", which will cost all buyers at least $50,000, for at least the next few months...

This time, it will be different.
So after the next few months time frame that you reference, when some people are actually buying the Model 3 for $35,000...
Some being a very small number, is what makes your statement almost true.

Since TSLA will lose money on each of those ~$36k
It is in fact literally true, assuming they stay with their production schedule. There will be a $35k option AND some will buy in the next few months. Not sure where you're getting the $36k unless you include destination charge which AFAIK has nothing to do with tesla (legally mandated?).

Profitability on the car is changing the goalposts. No argument they aren't making much (any right now?) on $35k, but $35k it will be.

edatoakrun said:
Joe6pack said:
How is it FUD...

I was researching as I am interested in possibly replacing my LEAF with a used MS. Right now, I would take a car without AutoPilot over one with it. Seriously.

Your response demonstrates a real lack of credibility.
Just accept the fact that some witless people cry FUD, showing they are unable to make any useful comment.

But on this subject, exactly what do people expect get for $5000 option autopilot in the model 3, beyond what you will get with the much less-expensive Nissan ProPILOT option on the Gen two LEAF?
What can Nisasn ProPILOT even do right now?

As for your argument about cost of ownership it is of course lower with the leaf, just as it is lower with a camry vs a rolls royce phantom. They are different classes of cars. The tesla is a more expensive car because it's a better car. Surely even you could admit that.

I don't want to rag on the leaf too much. If Nissan comes out many thousands cheaper than the model 3 and propilot is really nice, I'd certainly consider another one, and I actually do think the leaf will offer better reliability than the tesla. But, it's still not as nice a car and there is a reason it is cheaper.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
edatoakrun said:
...exactly what do people expect get for $5000 option autopilot in the model 3, beyond what you will get with the much less-expensive Nissan ProPILOT option on the Gen two LEAF?
What can Nisasn ProPILOT even do right now?...
~Six months ago it could do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfRqNAhAe6c

But that level of autonomy in a production car is acknowledged to still be several years off.

I doubt The LEAF's ProPilot Assist (note the Americanized name) will be much different from that rudimentary driver assist system Nissan introduced last year in Japan.

Here is a recent review, as previewed on an ICEV:

Nissan ProPilot Assist Preview - It's Automated But Not Self-Driving

...While we won’t get to see the new Leaf sans camouflage until September 5, Nissan did invite a group of media to its Farmington Hills, Mich. engineering center to sample some Rogues equipped with the ProPilot Assist system. Nissan calls this a level 2 (L2) automation system because it is capable of doing coordinated longitudinal and lateral control. That means it can handle acceleration, braking and steering. What it doesn’t do is let the driver climb into the back seat to take a nap, or relax and watch a movie...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsamid/2017/07/21/nissan-propilot-assist-preview-its-automated-but-not-self-driving/#97748dc568b6

I expect ProPilot Assist will probably be more reliable than autopilot, due to Nissan's greater liability concerns.

The only additional feature autopilot has today, that I am aware of, is its ability to change lanes using the turn signal, rather than the wheel.

But I haven't followed autopilot very closely, which is why I'm asking.

SageBrush said:
dgpcolorado said:
Since I am 338 miles from the nearest Service Center, it is not trivial to get warranty issues corrected, as it is for most people.
Add another 100 miles for me.
If New Mexico ever shakes off the influence of the auto dealer lobby and lets Tesla into the state, the proposed Service Center in Albuquerque figures to be a lot closer for you. Hard to see a service center getting closer than Denver or ABQ for me (very unlikely for Grand Junction, the only significant city in western Colorado, for example). It is a disadvantage of the Tesla 3 versus a LEAF 2; although a LEAF is strictly a local car around here given the dearth of DCFC infrastructure, as you know.

dgpcolorado said:
SageBrush said:
dgpcolorado said:
Since I am 338 miles from the nearest Service Center, it is not trivial to get warranty issues corrected, as it is for most people.
Add another 100 miles for me.
If New Mexico ever shakes off the influence of the auto dealer lobby and lets Tesla into the state, the proposed Service Center in Albuquerque figures to be a lot closer for you. Hard to see a service center getting closer than Denver or ABQ for me (very unlikely for Grand Junction, the only significant city in western Colorado, for example). It is a disadvantage of the Tesla 3 versus a LEAF 2; although a LEAF is strictly a local car around here given the dearth of DCFC infrastructure, as you know.
NM strikes me as a long shot for the near term, so I am hoping for a modified Ranger setup whereby a nearby town gets service perhaps a week every quarter and a radius of say 50-100 miles of owners drive there for service.

jlv said:
I've driven an AP1 car (Model X, but only about 40 miles total) and an AP2 car. AP1 is superior (still), but AP2 keeps having features added to it to make up the difference. AP1 identified the truck in the next lane as a truck, whereas AP2 only shows it as another car. When I got the S, my AP2 was limited to 60MPH on the highway; now it has no limit. I'm feel pretty confident that AP2 will surpass AP1 by the end of the year.

Meanwhile, I've driven several thousand miles with AP2 engaged. My wife and I are both software engineers, so we were likely far more skeptical about relying on the underlying AP software than most people. But we've found that it just works. On the highway, it is exceptionally reliable. It does poorer on side roads (especially ones with curves). It's a driver assistance system; it does not take over driving(*). You've got to hold onto the steering wheel and be prepared to take over at any instance - with nearly no advance notice. <snip>
It's that qualification in bold that makes those of us who have knowledge of human factors research in this area unwilling to trust our lives to Level 2 or 3 semi-autonomy, and we'll wait for Level 4 with seven or more nines of reliability. Every bit of research I've ever read on the effects of automation on pilot ability to respond properly in short-notice situations confirms that human beings are extremely poor at maintaining the attention level needed to instantly resume control, while bored and along for the ride. They can do it for a bit given considerable effort, but inevitably their attention strays.

The basic limitation on response time is determined by how fast someone can cycle through what was coined in the 1970s for fighter pilots as the OODA loop (Observe - Orient - Decide - Act), and the ability to do that as rapidly as possible requires constant engagement with what's happening to shorten the first two periods, as well as eliminating as much extraneous mental tasking as possible (what an ex-Navy and subsequently Northwest Airlines pilot/ANG fighter jock acquaintance of mine called "load shitting"). The human brain does this automatically to some extent, the question is whether or not it's choosing to ignore the trivia or the important stuff. The increasing number of distracted driving accidents involving cell phones and infotainment systems answers that question. Here's a classic example of an entire flight crew allowing themselves to be distracted and focusing on the wrong thing with no one concentrating on monitoring the plane as it flew on A/P, an FAA re-creation of the Eastern Airlines Flight 401 crash in Florida in the '70s, which IIRR I first saw on an episode of Nova:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICqPGkto3Yo

Every bit of research I've ever read on the effects of automation on pilot ability to respond properly in short-notice situations confirms that human beings are extremely poor at maintaining the attention level needed to instantly resume control, while bored and along for the ride. They can do it for a bit given considerable effort, but inevitably their attention strays

Excellent way to sum up the problem with AP. It's either a gimmicky, yet cool, tech demonstration, or it has to be 100% reliable. Anything in between breeds either mistrust (in which case, long-term enjoyment of the tech is drastically reduced) or fatal accidents for those who get bored and stop paying attention.

Maybe it's just me, but even with cruise control I find it's rare that I can "set and forget" it. I like to keep a safe distance to the car in front, so when traffic gets even momentarily congested, I often tap the brake to disable cruise and then shortly thereafter resume CC. Doing that half a dozen times and I start feeling like CC is a waste of my time. Knowing myself, I would very likely do the same sort of thing with AP...

jlv said:
You've got to hold onto the steering wheel and be prepared to take over at any instance - with nearly no advance notice.

For me this makes it more or less useless. In act it may be easier for me to just drive than have the stress of AP malfunctioning or suddenly asking me to take over. I find it easier to drive than sit next to a teenager just learning to drive, for eg.

EAP becomes useful when it can reliably (97%+ of the time) do the commute for me. This should come before full self-driving - since the road is well known and I can train the EAP for the route.

evnow said:
jlv said:
You've got to hold onto the steering wheel and be prepared to take over at any instance - with nearly no advance notice.
For me this makes it more or less useless. In act it may be easier for me to just drive than have the stress of AP malfunctioning or suddenly asking me to take over...
The objective is to have a driver-assistance system (unlike autopilot) that does NOT malfunction or suddenly ask you to take over, while insuring the driver remains at at the necessary attention level to take over, if that ever becomes required.

According to several reviews, such as the one below (with a video demonstration) Nissan may be the first manufacturer to have accomplished this:

Hands-on with ProPilot Assist, Nissan's commute easer

Coming soon to the 2018 Leaf EV and other vehicles, ProPilot Assist keeps you on the straight and narrow to ease highway life.

If you've experienced lane-keep assist in most vehicles, you know that such systems generally serve their purpose — keeping you from wandering out of your lane. But you may also know they tend to do so at a high cost, as they're often incredibly annoying. A recent Insurance Institute For Highway Safety study found that nearly half of all drivers actually turned off their car's lane-departure warning systems out of frustration. The study paints a ready illustration of how the best-intentioned active safety features can be poorly executed.

Fortunately, if my first test of Nissan's forthcoming ProPilot Assist system is any indication, you won't soon be reaching for its off button...

Set to arrive on the second-generation Leaf EV this fall and spread rapidly across Nissan's lineup thereafter, ProPilot Assist leverages forward-facing radar and a front camera mounted atop the windshield to read highway lane markings and scan the road ahead. When active, the system works to keep the vehicle in-lane and at a safe distance from vehicles ahead using the accelerator, brakes and steering system.

Most importantly, PPA isn't hardware that allows the vehicle to ping-pong disconcertingly back and forth between the white lines, it keeps you locked in and dead-center at all times, only allowing for a very slight drift from the middle in freeway bends to allow for cornering G-forces and help the car's motions feel more natural...

ProPilot comes across as very smartly executed. There are a number of automakers that already offer similar technology, but it's typically featured on much costlier luxury cars. Nissan hasn't priced ProPilot Assist yet, but after it debuts on the Leaf, it's expected to become available in short order on many of the company's higher-volume, lower cost vehicles -- models like the Rogue seen here. Based on my first impressions, that's good news — both for Nissan buyers and for the motorists who share the road with them.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/hands-on-with-nissans-propilot-assist/

internalaudit said:
webb14leafs said:

Some Nissan Vehicles should be avoided. My brother bought a Nissan Pathfinder only to find out that the transmissions suck water and die and therefore comes with a warning on Car Complaints that says "Avoid like the plague!"

On the other hand I've read that the Nissan Leaf is the most reliable car in the world. Only 1 in 10,000 have left someone stranded with a major failure, unlike the average of 1 in every 400.

http://www.energytrendsinsider.com/...5-times-more-reliable-than-conventional-cars/

edatoakrun said:
I expect ProPilot Assist will probably be more reliable than autopilot, due to Nissan's greater liability concerns.
I agree. A catastrophe could be damning to any company but I feel Tesla is certainly more risk taking in this area.

That vid is nice. I'm really glad nissan is throwing effort at this. It's strange watching the steering wheel, it moves in tiny little atomic bumps in ways a human wouldn't, but I guess the passengers don't notice. Unfortunately, it's safe to assume the gen 2 leaf won't have the necessary hardware to ever have full self drive, whereas in theory the model 3 does, although I don't think anybody has a clue when it will actually hit public roads in a production version for consumers.

I think you forgot about summon that EAP has in your comparison.

IssacZachary said:
On the other hand I've read that the Nissan Leaf is the most reliable car in the world. Only 1 in 10,000 have left someone stranded with a major failure, unlike the average of 1 in every 400.

http://www.energytrendsinsider.com/...5-times-more-reliable-than-conventional-cars/
Impressive. I think we all knew these drivetrains would be good (EV), but that is excellent.

I've had six Nissans in my life. I like the company and although I don't have one now it's always a contender for any new car. They lag honda toyota a bit but you can't really go wrong with either of those companies quality-wise.

edatoakrun said:
Most importantly, PPA isn't hardware that allows the vehicle to ping-pong disconcertingly back and forth between the white lines, it keeps you locked in and dead-center at all times, only allowing for a very slight drift from the middle in freeway bends to allow for cornering G-forces and help the car's motions feel more natural...
We'll have to see how it behaves in less than well marked roads or when it rains etc ...

Afterall ping-ponging is a bug - not a feature anyone ships with ;)

DaveinOlyWA said:
yeah, too close to call that. You can probably make it most of the time but its not Winter per se, you need to worry about. My biggest range hit is not temperature, its precipitation so heavy rain in the middle of Summer will kill your range faster than sub freezing weather. Add snow to the mix and you could be even worse.
Why does the rain affect mileage?

Back