Please Report 2018 - 2020 Leaf Defects Here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far two issues for me:

2018 SL Canadian Version

1) Android Auto constantly disconnects for me. This can be a day wrecker when you're using Waze (or Google Maps) and it disconnects at a critical junction!

2) Driver window makes rattling noise when it's about 1/3rd rolled down.

ColdCanuk said:

1) Android Auto constantly disconnects for me. This can be a day wrecker when you're using Waze (or Google Maps) and it disconnects at a critical junction!

Change the cable...I went through 3 cables until I found one that was stable.

nightleaf said:
ColdCanuk said:

I've used several cables. The cables I have work on my other cars with Android Auto without issue. Not the cable.

ColdCanuk said:
nightleaf said:
ColdCanuk said:

I've used several cables. The cables I have work on my other cars with Android Auto without issue. Not the cable.

I tried all my cables and none of them worked reliably until I got this one:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01C8IVL7W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using it for 2 month no single crash with Samsung S7 and S8. My theory is that electric vehicle emits a lot of EMI that would interfere with high speed communication. Longer the cable, more chance that it will create interference. Need to use short and shielded cables.

More of a question than a defect. I’m noticing that on my ‘18 SL the left side headlight appears to be adjusted higher than the right. I’m kind of old school and prefer the right to be slightly higher to illuminate the shoulder. I live in a rural area where getting extra visibly on shoulder is valuable.

vladm2018 said:
ColdCanuk said:

I tried all my cables and none of them worked reliably until I got this one:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01C8IVL7W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using it for 2 month no single crash with Samsung S7 and S8. My theory is that electric vehicle emits a lot of EMI that would interfere with high speed communication. Longer the cable, more chance that it will create interference. Need to use short and shielded cables.

Tried this cable, exact same problem. All of my other cables work on other cars without issue. There's three components here: 1) Nissan Leaf, 2) Cable, 3) Phone. Given the 2 & 3 work without issue on multiple other cars, let's take a wild guess at where the issue is...

ColdCanuk said:
nightleaf said:
ColdCanuk said:

I had this same issue. Unless I used a very short cable, it wouldn’t work. The dealership here in Kyoto acknowledged that it is indeed an issue with the USB port on the nav unit. They just replaced everything to be sure (that kicked off a chain reaction of other issues, but that’s a story for another time).

I use these cables from Amazon with no issues.

51X8TI-66TL._SL1000_.jpg

I found the three-inch one is best for the LEAF console.

So far I see two and a half possible issues after a week with the car
1. Clunk somewhere in the front when starting moving in a stop and go traffic. Might be the same TSB from 2017 about torque on an axle nut, but I'll have to check with the dealer. I even tried disabling Epedal to make sure its not brake pads being activated by the system.
2. Hatch struts are making a bit of a noise when opening.
3. Still trying to figure out if tow hook is missing by design or somebody forgot to put it on (unlikely)
Car was built in late March by Smyrna TN plant

P.S. tested two cables with Android auto- original USB C that came with my Pixel, and also this short Aukey one from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0746C244X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Both work fine

Check your front wheel lug nuts for proper torque. My 2018 was clunking with just 50 miles, turned out the wheel lug nuts were not properly torqued. 80 ft./lbs. it should be.

To fix the hatch clunk turn the two rubber bump stops at the bottom of the hatch door an eighth of a turn at a time on both sides till the clunk sound sounds solid.

My '18 does not have a tow hook either, and the instructions on pulling a stuck vehicle out do not refer to a tow hook coming with the car either.

Good points on the torque and plate holder clunking- will check.
As far as tow hook- does your have any plastic covers over that area (just behind rear passenger tire)? I just have a hole in the underbody cladding there

Update:
the lug nuts took a good 2/3 of a turn before the torque wrench clicked at the specified 83 ft./lbs per user manual. I wonder if this is done on purpose and is supposed to be re-torqued by the dealer at PDI?
So far so good on clunk, but i'll keep an ear out for it.

Reagle said:
As far as tow hook- does your have any plastic covers over that area (just behind rear passenger tire)? I just have a hole in the underbody cladding there

The only place i see for a tow hook is on the front of the car on the drivers side under the removable cover on the front bumper cover. I don't see any hook mounting point on the rear of the car at all.

OK, I see it now. The threaded inserts are there, but it looks like if you want a hook, it 's a parts counter item that you would bolt in yourself. Chances are you can get the hook from a pickup or SUV parts catalog.

My LEAF looks lust like yours, I did not see the place for a hook to be bolted at first because my garage was not well lit when I was looking under there.

So tested several additional cables with the shortest being twelve inches. While there is an improvement your still getting disconnected frequently.

Definitely an issue with the head unit on android auto.

Back