geefish

Re: 2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:29 am

It's already far later than most people hoped. I was excited about this Leaf, but I've moved on. Nissan really needs to get it out there this fall if they want to stay in the game."

Nissan currently has the best selling electric car ever. It it is selling about 8000 new Leafs per month and one of its factories can't keep up with demand. It is the number one selling car in Norway this year, regardless of fuel source. That's never happened anywhere else in the world with any other electric car or manufacturer. The head of Nissan at the release of the second generation Leaf stated that Nissan makes money on every gen 2 Leaf it sells and that it was making money on some of the first generation as well. No other electric vehicle manufacturer is doing that. Nissan are well and truely ahead of the game - people are just judging them by a different set of parameters.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:08 am

geefish wrote:It's already far later than most people hoped. I was excited about this Leaf, but I've moved on. Nissan really needs to get it out there this fall if they want to stay in the game."

Nissan currently has the best selling electric car ever. It it is selling about 8000 new Leafs per month and one of its factories can't keep up with demand. It is the number one selling car in Norway this year, regardless of fuel source. That's never happened anywhere else in the world with any other electric car or manufacturer. The head of Nissan at the release of the second generation Leaf stated that Nissan makes money on every gen 2 Leaf it sells and that it was making money on some of the first generation as well. No other electric vehicle manufacturer is doing that. Nissan are well and truely ahead of the game - people are just judging them by a different set of parameters.

Nissan is currently the best selling electric car ever, but this year is well behind other brands.

Tesla is selling 11000 cars (S, X and 3) per month, and is growing at a higher rate. Tesla is making money on the Model S, and probably is making money on the Model X.

And BIAC is the largest selling electric. Yes, China market mostly, with only tiny exports to date.

WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:52 am

WetEV wrote:
geefish wrote:It's already far later than most people hoped. I was excited about this Leaf, but I've moved on. Nissan really needs to get it out there this fall if they want to stay in the game."

Nissan is currently the best selling electric car ever, but this year is well behind other brands.

Exactly. Nissan has led the way, but now has been leap-frogged. The 40kWh 2018 Leaf is a good evolution of the 30kWh 2017 Leaf, but it's not enough to stay relevant for long. They need at least the option of a 60kWh Leaf to really stay in the game.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

barsad22
Delivery Date: 17 Feb 2011

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:51 pm

So.... I'm a little puzzled that it's July and Nissan is not putting out any real information about when the e-Plus will be released. I know they're not Elon Musk or anything, but can we get a tweet or something? What is the best source for e-Plus release information?
Like many people I am going to be stuck between getting a Standard Tesla 3 and a Leaf e-Plus, and my decision will probably be made by who gives me the best information on when I'm getting my car. So far Tesla gets an F (I was on the list on Day 1, in person), and Nissan on this new Leaf gets a C-.
These two cars will have the same range, but not the same federal credits. Who else out there is making this decision, and what factors are you taking into account. Tesla's configurator now predicts 6 months to 9 months (I'll just call it 9 months, seriously guys) for a Standard model. That could put me into a quarter-credit situation, while the Leaf still offers the full credit. Am I really willing to lose $6,000 in credits while sitting around waiting for the 3?
JG
2011 red Nissan Leaf SL L3
Delivered 2/17/11
Aerovironment home charger

ElectricEddy
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:58 pm

barsad22 wrote:So.... I'm a little puzzled that it's July and Nissan is not putting out any real information about when the e-Plus will be released. I know they're not Elon Musk or anything, but can we get a tweet or something? What is the best source for e-Plus release information?
Like many people I am going to be stuck between getting a Standard Tesla 3 and a Leaf e-Plus, and my decision will probably be made by who gives me the best information on when I'm getting my car. So far Tesla gets an F (I was on the list on Day 1, in person), and Nissan on this new Leaf gets a C-.
These two cars will have the same range, but not the same federal credits. Who else out there is making this decision, and what factors are you taking into account. Tesla's configurator now predicts 6 months to 9 months (I'll just call it 9 months, seriously guys) for a Standard model. That could put me into a quarter-credit situation, while the Leaf still offers the full credit. Am I really willing to lose $6,000 in credits while sitting around waiting for the 3?
JG

C- is a pretty high score considering the only source of info given by Nissan Corp that I've found is here :
https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/
If Nissan follows it's usual agenda best I would hope for would be around Sept/Oct 18
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

Evoforce
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:40 pm

I would not expect the car to hit the market till after December. When did the My18 come out? Base it on that. Charging infrastructure alone would make M3 a better choice if you plan on traveling.
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

BrockWI
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 423875

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:00 am

I have also heard from a couple of different places the 60 will be out later maybe late spring of 19, arriving behind the stock 40. But know that would help a lot. I have about a 18 months before I have to make the leap, if it were today I would go with the Bolt, but hopefully the Leaf 60 or the T3 will be an option in 18 months.
3 kw solar pv - XW6048 - 8 L16's
4 ton GSHP
2003 VW TDI 170k miles - 52 mpg lifetime
evse level 2 - Clipper Creek HSC-40
2013 S model with QC package Mar of 2013
@60k miles - 61.72Ahr - 94 SOH - 95.61 Hx - 268 GID

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:42 am

BrockWI wrote:I have also heard from a couple of different places the 60 will be out later maybe late spring of 19, arriving behind the stock 40. But know that would help a lot. I have about a 18 months before I have to make the leap, if it were today I would go with the Bolt, but hopefully the Leaf 60 or the T3 will be an option in 18 months.

The good news is that the full tax credit will probably still be available for Nissan at that point. They are falling behind GM, and way behind Tesla. And their sales in the US haven't been noteworthy with the 2018 Leaf.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:46 am

barsad22 wrote:So.... I'm a little puzzled that it's July and Nissan is not putting out any real information about when the e-Plus will be released. I know they're not Elon Musk or anything, but can we get a tweet or something? What is the best source for e-Plus release information?

Maybe you haven't heard of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect?

I was actually surprised that Nissan during the '18 Leaf reveal alluded to a long range, higher performance version and press releases like http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/ ... -press-kit have, as well. And (I haven't been following this thread), at an EVent at Nissan's Sunnyvale research office I was at, a slide was put up by the marketing guy indicating 225+ miles range for model year 2019. (There were numerous MNLers present, besides myself.)

I posted about it at viewtopic.php?p=505320#p505320. Slide at https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1. I spoke to the person who took that pic and posted it. Seems other sources have ummm.... repurposed that pic. I believe some other cities which had a Leaf EVent might've gotten a slightly different version of that slide.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

2011RedLeaf
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 3999

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:15 pm

Maybe you haven't heard of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect?

Osborne effect is an issue if you are the only game in town. Doesn't work if you are offering Old Maid while people are becoming more interested in Texas Holdem.

I think that Nissan USA is more at risk of the Commodore 64 effect. Had an excellent early offering that was ahead of its time and multiple magazines devoted to it and one of the earliest on-line forums. Fell behind, didn't catch up, and people moved on. I refuse to be suckered into a repeat of my 2011. Bolt is looking better and better.

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”