Please Report 2018 - 2020 Leaf Defects Here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I had my 2018 Leaf for about 3 days when the 'Malfunction: See Owners Manual' message popped up and the automatic braking system disabled warning light came on. I took it to the dealership for service 2 days later. The dealer said this was a known issue and that Nissan was "working on a fix" but didn't have a fix yet. I'm supposed to call back weekly to find out if the fix is ready yet. He assumed the fix would be firmware related.

Now that I have read through this thread and see the length of time that this issue has been affecting people, calling back weekly seems a tad optimistic. :)

My Leaf was built in 01/18.

ausername said:
Hi, I had my 2018 Leaf for about 3 days when the 'Malfunction: See Owners Manual' message popped up and the automatic braking system disabled warning light came on.

Mine does the same. The owner's manual essentially tells you to turn off AEB (EV settings...Driver Assistance...Automatic Emergency Braking), power off the car, restart and the AEB will come back on by default. I have had the warning multiple times and after reset, it goes away for a day to a couple weeks...completely random. It's a PITA but, in my experience it is near impossible to correct such an intermittent issue without "shotgunning"...replacing components one at a time until it doesn't come back. I seriously doubt any dealership can afford to practice that method. I hope Nissan will figure it out and I'd bet they will. The fault is recorded in the onboard computer and I'd also bet that data is transmitted to Nissan during the seemingly daily data transmissions the car sends...they know what's going on.

Ed

Thanks edorfox.

I called today and the dealership told me that Nissan has suggested replacing the radar hardware. They ordered the part, which will take a few days to get here, but they'll try replacing it. I'll keep you posted on whether this fixes the issue.

I drove over a road surface that had been ground down in preparation for repaving, last night, and as I left it I got a flashing warning light. It is orange and looks like an exploding motorcycle, of all things. It's under the speedo in the dash well. It came on and went off two or three times, then stayed off. Anyone know this one, or do I have to RTFM again?

LeftieBiker said:
I drove over a road surface that had been ground down in preparation for repaving, last night, and as I left it I got a flashing warning light. It is orange and looks like an exploding motorcycle, of all things. It's under the speedo in the dash well. It came on and went off two or three times, then stayed off. Anyone know this one, or do I have to RTFM again?

That's the one...AEB. The icon depicts one car crashing into the rear of another. The owner's manual essentially tells you to turn off AEB (EV settings...Driver Assistance...Automatic Emergency Braking), power off the car, restart and the AEB will come back on by default.
On my own follow-up, I took mine into the dealer yesterday for the issue. Apparently they ARE aware of the issue and after reading and clearing the codes (which came back this morning), he told me they placed a radar sensor on order, it's in the state and should be here very soon. Hopefully that should fix the issue.

Ed

Just noticed this thread soooo... my entry

2 days ago, I noticed a quite "tink" when changing velocities. Its quite, can't be felt and its metal on metal sound like a u-joint clink (if you are old enough to know what that means)

Since I am down to one car, need to know if this is easy fix and can be done while I wait?

I have reached out to my local LEAF pro but its early yet...

That sounds like an under-torqued axle bolt or two. If so it's an easy fix.

Q U I E T is the word you want. Phones and spellcheckers make terrible proofreaders.

LeftieBiker said:
That sounds like an under-torqued axle bolt or two. If so it's an easy fix.

Q U I E T is the word you want. Phones and spellcheckers make terrible proofreaders.

Sent video of sound (which is now louder) to local LEAF tech and he thinks its a dry spline shaft which he has seen on earlier LEAFs but never on something so new so will likely be headed his way middle of next week. Without gasser, will have to make this one day fixit trip which likely will mean one day to diagnose, order parts if needed and another day to fix it.

LeftieBiker said:
Speaking of spell-check being a terrible editor: I meant to write "nut" instead of "bolt."

:D :lol:
A huge portion of my responses is voice to text but the accuracy is very inconsistent so I proof read. A bit. I have my font size so large that I can only see about six or seven words without scrolling so I miss things. Occasionally. :)

A month after we purchased our 2018 Leaf S, I filled out the obligatory email survey about the car. I mainly focused on my disappointment about the malfunction of the AEB system and the subsequent two week visit to the Nissan dealer while it was being fixed. As an aside, I mentioned a (plastic to plastic) squeak in the Leaf S radio surround where the chrome trim abuts the black radio trim. That started a month long exchange with Zach (in the Consumer Affairs division) who was determined to get it fixed. He eventually ordered a new radio surround piece, had it delivered to my local dealership, scheduled the appointment, and communicated the issue to the service manager. The new part was put in, but unfortunately, it still squeaks just like the original. I believe it is a design error. I manage to quiet it by stuffing a piece of paper between the chrome trim and the black radio surround. Has anyone else had trouble with this squeak in the Leaf S basic radio surround?

edorfox said:
I took mine into the dealer yesterday for the issue. Apparently they ARE aware of the issue and after reading and clearing the codes (which came back this morning), he told me they placed a radar sensor on order, it's in the state and should be here very soon. Hopefully that should fix the issue.

Ed

Well, a follow up to my follow up...Had my Radar Sensor replaced several weeks ago and other that the "Malfunction" warning I got within 2 miles of the repair, it has been flawless ever since. I suspect the computer was not aware of the new part because it has never returned after the next restart.

Have most of the replaced sensors been successful?

Ed

I have been observing on cold mornings (<5c) my automatic emergency braking system goes offline for 5-10minutes then comes back.

At 7500 miles, my 2018 SL has had zero defects, zero trips to the dealer for warranty work, and has consistently been able to provide 165-170 miles of range. So far this car is a redux of my experiences with our previous 2014 SV.

One note: I have learned that to properly use CarPlay, that the phone should be unlocked before connecting it to the car.

18LEAF-front-1800px.jpg

edorfox said:
edorfox said:
I took mine into the dealer yesterday for the issue. Apparently they ARE aware of the issue and after reading and clearing the codes (which came back this morning), he told me they placed a radar sensor on order, it's in the state and should be here very soon. Hopefully that should fix the issue.

Ed

Well, a follow up to my follow up...Had my Radar Sensor replaced several weeks ago and other that the "Malfunction" warning I got within 2 miles of the repair, it has been flawless ever since. I suspect the computer was not aware of the new part because it has never returned after the next restart.

Have most of the replaced sensors been successful?

Ed

I have been getting radar malfunctions lately as well resulting in emergency braking in clear conditions with no other vehicles in front of me. Took it to dealer today and they are ordering a replacement radar sensor. The tech said they have had trouble with water getting into the housing and causing corrosion. He said the new part has a seal/sealant to prevent this from happening. 2018 SL

Faulty front radar has disabled my AEB and cruise control. Problem identified in May of 2018, replaced twice in two months, now Nissan says it is a known problem and are “working on it”. 6 months later, they are still “working on it”.

OrientExpress said:
I have learned that to properly use CarPlay, that the phone should be unlocked before connecting it to the car.
I can confirm this. If it’s unlocked and the car is on, CarPlay loads up right away when the phone is plugged in.

So I am not even sure how to describe my issue. It rarely happens, perhaps a couple of times per month. When I make a slow left turn I suddenly hear this sound that is like a sound door stop spring makes when you release it. Am I going crazy? It is loud and causes the car to vibrate a bit.

Back