Nissan to Offer Higher Range Batteries

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AP1

Did I miss this somewhere in MyNissanLeaf?

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1091583_nissan-leaf-likely-to-offer-larger-battery-for-longer-range" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a long thread on the general subject, but I don't think this tidbit of news has appeared, yet.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16278" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The biggest problem with offering multiple pack choices is that it gives us an idea of battery cost, and they have made it perfectly clear that they do not want us to know how much it should cost for a replacement battery.

Be sure and read the comments on the that Green Car Reports thread. Andy Palmer has a reply....

John -

You are exactly right. In our opinion there are four major drivers to EV success (and it's interesting to note the relatively slow take-up of hybrids now in their 3rd generation, compared with EVs at the same point in there evolution).

1) The Car - in our opinion, on a dedicated EV platform and capable in every way - but 100% EV

2) The Incentive - The technology is eye watering expensive - it cost Nissan 4B Euros to develop LEAF - at the beginning, incentives are important to help make the cars affordable - the US, Denmark, Japan, France and the UK to name but a few do a good job here

3) The Infrastructure - more fast chargers means less range anxiety and less waiting time - it's why Nissan now builds it's own fast chargers and partners with as many people as we can - even competitors

4) and finally battery range - obviously I cannot disclose to our competitors exactly our plans for batteries and their timing - but the speed of new chemistry development is jaw dropping. However, there are places in the world where a 24kwh battery is more than adequate for most people - Okinawa, Bhutan, Juju, Jersey....... Tokyo. My daily drive (in fact my only car in Japan, is a LEAF and a full charge will last me a week - partly because my journeys in Tokyo are short and partly because of the many fast chargers and I know I can run the battery low). Now else-where, journey distances differ and there is a case for a choice of batteries, but for those that don't need it, we don't need to burden with the price or the weight.

Nissan has sold over 110k LEAF since 2010 - we have 47% global share of the EV market - we have telematic data on how all those cars perform. We are using that data to see how best to evolve the technical offers at regional, country, state and even city level. For sure you can count of Nissans intentions to maintain it's lead in EV technology and sales and internal debates are passionate because we are passionate about EVs.

Andy Palmer
Chief Planning Officer
Nissan Motor Corporation
Japan

(I apologise for using English English in my posting, but wanted to follow up on your points quickly)

jhm614 said:
Be sure and read the comments on the that Green Car Reports thread. Andy Palmer has a reply....

4) and finally battery range - obviously I cannot disclose to our competitors exactly our plans for batteries and their timing - but the speed of new chemistry development is jaw dropping. ...

I'm compelled to note that the speed at which they are deployed is... umm....

Suffice to say that my jaw is securely attached :lol:

The two main reasons they need higher capacity batteries:

--Permanent capacity loss from calendar aging/cycling of the battery pack
--Temporary capacity loss from cold

Stoaty said:
The two main reasons they need higher capacity batteries:

--Permanent capacity loss from calendar aging/cycling of the battery pack
--Temporary capacity loss from cold

Might want to add:
Some inter-city travel capacity would be nice.
Despite a good L3 infrastructure around Seattle, I still cannot comfortably travel to either Portland or Vancouver.

More about Nissan's plans for the LEAF, Infiniti EV, and batteries from Automotive News:

Nissan's next EVs: More mainstream, better battery

Nissan Motor Corp. wants its next-generation Leaf electric vehicle to get more mainstream styling and a new battery that more than doubles its range. And Infiniti’s delayed electric car will debut with the improved battery by early 2017...

Nissan is reacting to the market. They percieve the next real threat to come with Tesla no earlier then end of 2017, and likely a year later. Until then, they dont have any large scale competitors. Ford, Chevy, Kia...all small volume. Leaf is really becoming world wide, so as much as they might be building a next gen pack, they are still working up the scale with the existing tech. It much more profitable then jumping at this point, as that would reduce the ROI on the existing investments.

That said, would really like to see a jump in the 2016 model...but don't see that happening with this news.

Anyone know if any US Leaf's are being exported yet? to Latin America or else where?

I guess this would rate as the first credible (is Andy Palmer credible?) mention of the "hot pack" battery that is supposed to be imminent; this answers one of the big questions in the other (recent) battery thread. It's good to see Nissan addressing the competition in 2017, but I for one am counting on the "hot pack" upgrade by the time I need/get my (free) replacement battery next year.

Stanton said:
I guess this would rate as the first credible (is Andy Palmer credible?) mention of the "hot pack" battery that is supposed to be imminent; this answers one of the big questions in the other (recent) battery thread. It's good to see Nissan addressing the competition in 2017, but I for one am counting on the "hot pack" upgrade by the time I need/get my (free) replacement battery next year.

It is not clear if 11/12 MY will ever see "hot packs". Current replacement batteries are shipped from Japan as the batteries made at the Smyrna plant are different. I'm skeptical that Nissan will make any additional effort to make the hot pack available to the older models, most likely it will be limited to those cars whose battery is swappable with the ongoing model.

How can the current model make it thru 2015 and 2016 model years with 84 miles of range?

sales will plateau in 2014, will be flat in 2015, and will drop in 2016, or will require huge additional incentives from Nissan to move the last of the first gen cars off the lots.

that happens sometimes on cars just before the new model arrives so mfr are used to it. but it might be more pronounced with the Leaf as prospective buyers are more likely to be aware of upcoming increses in range, styling., features.

My lease ends Jan 2015 and I would like a redesigned 150mpc Leaf, aint gonna happen. I will shop elswhere Nissan.

Valdemar said:
Stanton said:

It is not clear if 11/12 MY will ever see "hot packs". Current replacement batteries are shipped from Japan as the batteries made at the Smyrna plant are different. I'm skeptical that Nissan will make any additional effort to make the hot pack available to the older models, most likely it will be limited to those cars whose battery is swappable with the ongoing model.

With all respect, you have no clue what Nissan will or won't do regarding battery pack sourcing; that's (supposedly) why we "scour the 'net" (and this forum) for official position. It's not cost effective for Nissan to continue sourcing multiple battery packs/types (or any major part) from a volume perspective; I believe Palmer was even quoted as saying that once they achieve cut-over, they don't intend on making the "old" battery pack chemistry.

So again, I'm holding out for some definitive statement from Nissan as to what/when they're going to do with the "hot pack" and ALL MY Nissan Leafs.

Stanton said:
It's not cost effective for Nissan to continue sourcing multiple battery packs/types (or any major part) from a volume perspective;
While this may be true, then why don't they have a way to swap in a '13 pack into a '11-12 car?

Seems crazy to ship battery packs in from Japan when you could get them domestically.

Back