Automotive News: 2017 Leaf, More Range, More Mainstream Look

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhm614

But engineers are working on a big jump with a revamped battery by 2017.

A new battery chemistry will debut by then for use by Infiniti and Nissan, said Andy Palmer, executive vice president in charge of Nissan’s zero emissions and Infiniti businesses.
Nissan plans more improvements in the current-generation Leaf with a battery tuned for longer life in hot climates. That power pack will arrive “soon,” Palmer said.
Mamoru Aoki, the Nissan brand’s global design chief, said EVs no longer need to grab attention by looking different. He cited the sleek Tesla Model S sedan.

“The current Leaf is aiming too much at an EV-like appearance,” Aoki said. “Tesla doesn’t look EV at all. The Tesla S just looks nice, very sporty, sleek, but very authentic.”

The next Leaf will keep certain cues denoting its electric nature, such as no grille aperture. But it will cleave more closely to the Nissan brand’s new unified design language.
I was hoping for 2016, but the future sounds promising. Link to the article, it's worth a read: http://www.autonews.com/article/20140507/OEM05/140509845/nissans-next-evs-more-mainstream-better-battery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting nobody has replied to this. I saw this news in the morning before I left for office - came back home in the evening expecting a long thread !

Lots of lots of interesting things. But questions remain ...
- Will we see any improvement in range in current gen Leaf ?
- Next gen is supposed to be "300 km" (186 miles) - is that about 150 miles EPA range ?

Also of interest is this piece about the redesign.

Shiro Nakamura, chief creative officer for the Nissan and Infiniti brands, said it will get the brand’s new V Motion plunging V-shaped front fascia and the floating roof evoked by blacked-out pillars, as seen in the redesigned Rogue crossover.

exterior-01.jpg

The dealer here in Salt Lake still has a large number of 2013 cars.

Kind of hard to get pumped up about a 2017 model right now. When Nissan has a car with double the range in the show room be sure and let me know.

2017 is too far out. That's a 6 year design cycle and there will likely be a lot of competition of numerous types by then. If true, I predict that 2016 sales will fall to a trickle... 2017 sales might not be a whole lot better unless there are truly some dramatic improvements, and not just the battery...

As for styling: "Shiro Nakamura, chief creative officer for the Nissan and Infiniti brands, said it will get the brand’s new V Motion plunging V-shaped front fascia and the floating roof evoked by blacked-out pillars, as seen in the redesigned Rogue crossover."

That is too bad as I find the Rogue to be quite unattractive...

jhm614 said:
I was hoping for 2016, but the future sounds promising.

In the year 2017 the Tesla super charger network will be complete and Tesla owners will be able to drive anywhere in the country on DC power.

At that point in time everything else is an afterthought.

KJD said:
In the year 2017 the Tesla super charger network will be complete and Tesla owners will be able to drive anywhere in the country on DC power.

Well....that's all well & good; but what percentage of American drivers will be able to afford a Tesla?

By 2017 the lower cost Tesla will be drawing close and there will be a lot more EV competition of many kinds (as well as FC vehicles, for those who care about such things)... Plus you will likely be able to buy used Teslas then for a good price and with a still very good battery... I'd certainly consider that if I was in the market.
It is going to be a much harder landscape for Nissan then and it may be too late for them to maintain momentum...

derkraut said:
Well....that's all well & good; but what percentage of American drivers will be able to afford a Tesla?

derkraut said:
KJD said:
Most of the cars I owned before the LEAF were used cars that I bought for half the price of a new car.

What do you think the price of a 2013 Model S will be in 2017 ?

I am willing to bet that a 4 year old Tesla will have a lot more range than my 2012 LEAF SL.

KJD said:

definition of "afterthought"; figuring out how to pay for the hotel on the trip after the car payment is made

KJD said:
derkraut said:
KJD said:
Most of the cars I owned before the LEAF were used cars that I bought for half the price of a new car.

What do you think the price of a 2013 Model S will be in 2017 ?

I am willing to bet that a 4 year old Tesla will have a lot more range than my 2012 LEAF SL.

you are right. probably twice the range for twice the price

TomT said:
2017 is too far out. That's a 6 year design cycle and there will likely be a lot of competition of numerous types by then. If true, I predict that 2016 sales will fall to a trickle... 2017 sales might not be a whole lot better unless there are truly some dramatic improvements, and not just the battery...

As for styling: "Shiro Nakamura, chief creative officer for the Nissan and Infiniti brands, said it will get the brand’s new V Motion plunging V-shaped front fascia and the floating roof evoked by blacked-out pillars, as seen in the redesigned Rogue crossover."

That is too bad as I find the Rogue to be quite unattractive...

jhm614 said:
I was hoping for 2016, but the future sounds promising.

The current styling suits the car's purpose. If their designers are looking to keep busy they could put some effort into improving the suspension.

The current styling suits the car's purpose. If their designers are looking to keep busy they could put some effort into improving the suspension.

Or maybe just finish the rear of the car and give it smaller, more aerodynamic wheel wells...

Nubo said:
If their designers are looking to keep busy they could put some effort into improving the suspension.
My vote would sure be for less understeer. When I switched the rear sway bar in my '05 Corolla for the TRD item, the difference was amazing - neutral, no-protest cornering. The car simply steers where I point it without the front end plowing. My LEAF handles the way my Corolla used to, and I think all that understeer is behind much of the rapid front-tire edge wear folks have been reporting.

evnow said:
Interesting nobody has replied to this. I saw this news in the morning before I left for office - came back home in the evening expecting a long thread ! ...
Well, it did get a little discussion when I posted it in another thread last week:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16533&start=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My lease runs out early 2016. Hoping for the new model by then. Kia is coming out with an EV version of the SOUL. Have to take a hard look at it also.

Mtown0031 said:
My lease runs out early 2016. Hoping for the new model by then. Kia is coming out with an EV version of the SOUL. Have to take a hard look at it also.
Looks like 2017 (optimistically late 2016).

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=17820" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back