LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

Tue May 02, 2017 3:48 pm

So we already know that a cheap Leaf with a 30kWh pack is not a big seller.

I'm not sure it's just the pack that is slowing sales. If they had actually improved the car in small ways, like 80% charge option reinstated, good high beams, and a small HP tweak, I think it would sell much better. I would certainly have tried to get one. Instead we have a 2017 Leaf that is actually worse in some ways than a 2013, even with more range. What Leaf driver wants to get a new car and give up features, while having to live with existing flaws that could easily have been fixed?
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

ydnas7

Tue May 02, 2017 4:00 pm

EVDrive wrote:...

CARB is doing the right thing to incentivize long range EV's with fast charge times wich is what I and others who are waiting on the EV sidelines right now want in addition to low prices. Where would EV's be without CARB, maybe nowhere. ...

realistically, looking at Euro sales, CARB is almost irrelevant. 2 of the 3 best selling cars have nothing at all to do with CARB. One was actually stopped by CARB from coming to America. (Outlander PHEV)

CARB went just that little bit too far, if they hadn't of made that little hassle, PHEV SUVs would be established in USA, and probably leading the plug in charts for sales.

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Tue May 02, 2017 4:08 pm

ydnas7 wrote:

CARB is doing the right thing to incentivize long range EV's with fast charge times wich is what I and others who are waiting on the EV sidelines right now want in addition to low prices. Where would EV's be without CARB, maybe nowhere. ...

.... One was actually stopped by CARB from coming to America. (Outlander PHEV)

Thats the first time I've heard that, how did CARB prevent the PHEV outlander from coming to the US? I've been really wanting one for years but have basically given up believing they will actually make it to this side of the pond :(
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

ydnas7

Tue May 02, 2017 4:21 pm

jjeff wrote:
ydnas7 wrote:

Thats the first time I've heard that, how did CARB prevent the PHEV outlander from coming to the US? I've been really wanting one for years but have basically given up believing they will actually make it to this side of the pond :(

I'll have to look it up, but when the PHEV was suitably fresh, but with all wrinkles ironed out it was ready to bring to the states. CARB changed the rules concerning how their computers could access battery status. Seems like a small deal, and should only be a 6 month delay for a healthy car manufacturer, but for Mitsubishi it was fatal to the PHEV program for the USA.

Mitsubishi USA was sick, needing to offload a perpetual loss making factory, and having burnt at least $50 million to bring the iMiEV to USA, it was so speak, the straw that broke the camels back. Mitsubishi USA is basically at hand to mouth status, CARB changed the rules part way on them, its over, perhaps Nissan can fund the Outlander PHEV coming to USA, personally I suspect Mitsubishi would just wait for the 2nd generation Outlander PHEV, its got 3 electric motors (2 on rear axle, like some Hondas) and 24kWh battery.

GRA

Tue May 02, 2017 4:24 pm

jjeff wrote:
ydnas7 wrote:

Mistubishi has given all sorts of excuses as to why they haven't sold the Outlander here; the most recent ones are that they are modifying it to make its performance acceptable in the U.S. The reference to CARB delaying its debut was due to the following, over three years ago:
California Delays Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV’s US Debut To Late 2015, Early 2016 (Update: ARB Response)
http://insideevs.com/california-delays- ... -us-debut/

You can judge for yourself how much weight you want to put on Mitsubishi's claim.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Tue May 02, 2017 4:52 pm

EVDrive wrote:So we already know that a cheap Leaf with a 30kWh pack is not a big seller...

In point of fact, 15,742 sales make the LEAF the world's best selling BEV in 2017 through Q1.

Not bad at all IMO, especially considering the LEAF came to market years before most of its competitors, in a field experiencing rapid technological advancements.

Gen One LEAF's excellent design and continuing sales success are both major reasons Nissan has been in no hurry to introduce Gen Two.

Who Is The World’s Leading EV Maker? No, It’s Not Tesla

...In the first quarter of 2017, the Renault-Nissan Alliance moved nearly 37,000 electric vehicles, per data supplied by the automakers. That is some 12,000 units, or nearly 50%, more than the 25,000 electric vehicles Tesla said were shipped by the company in the first quarter.

An even bigger surprise: Nissan’s aging Leaf outsold Tesla’s likewise long-in-the-tooth Model S. The Leaf remained the world’s best-selling electric vehicle in the first quarter. It is hardly a secret that the Leaf is to be replaced soon by a completely new model with more range, a pleasing design, and with the semi-autonomous ProPilot package Nissan introduced with its Serena minivan last year. Considering the model change, one would expect Leaf sales to go down, but just the opposite is true...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschm ... b2d7233912
no condition is permanent

OrientExpress
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331

Tue May 02, 2017 6:16 pm

what edakoakrun just said is spot on. Even after seven years the LEAF continues to be the top selling EV world-wide and owns the sub $35K market.

Expectations are high for the Gen 2 LEAF, so Nissan is just making sure they have their ducks in a row to deliver on price, value, performance, reliability and take the lessons learned from the past to provide a better owner experience.

Mark September 5th (6th in Japan) on your calendar to judge for yourself.
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
46,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue May 02, 2017 6:25 pm

edatoakrun wrote:Gen One LEAF's excellent design and continuing sales success are both major reasons Nissan has been in no hurry to introduce Gen Two.

I think the $10k Nissan rebate on the Gen1 is more to the point. No way Nissan will offer that discount on a new design, and without the discount the new LEAF is not going to attract much consumer interest. Just look at Bolt sales for insight into Nissan's problem.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

OrientExpress
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331

Tue May 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Never say never, especially if you are the owner of a Gen 1 car and want to upgrade.
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
46,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

ydnas7

Tue May 02, 2017 8:38 pm

'LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)'

very little

but plenty of rumor

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”