LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:35 pm

Given that Nissan seems to be reusing a substantial part of the existing Leaf, and wants to compete on price to compensate for a lot of older tech and less range, I'm concerned now that they may not put a newer, more powerful motor in it. They might instead tweak the output of the existing unit to get 0-60 times to about nine seconds even. (They could call it "Mildly excited mode.") That would be a bummer, but even that improvement, if combined with a great price, would suffice for me .

OTOH, I'm used to the interior I have. ;-)
Last edited by LeftieBiker on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

NavyCuda
Delivery Date: 24 Jun 2015
Leaf Number: 329051

Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:53 pm

I'm a little bit indifferent to more power. I'm satisfied with the performance of the leaf for what it is now. I would much rather see 60kW of regen, but I wouldn't complain about more power. I also hope that Nissan continues with the creep feature, it makes the car feel so natural to drive.

Can I be permitted a dream? That they pop two of the 80kW motors in the Leaf, go AWD with 60 kW of regen. My Leaf is so terrible in the snow. AWD and good tires would make it a dream.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:28 pm

My Leaf is so terrible in the snow.

Most of us have found the car to be good in snow, with good or at least decent snow tires on all wheels. Do you have snows?
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

NavyCuda
Delivery Date: 24 Jun 2015
Leaf Number: 329051

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:56 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:

Most of us have found the car to be good in snow, with good or at least decent snow tires on all wheels. Do you have snows?

No, which is a major factor I know.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:33 am

Reddy wrote:Ed, thanks for the link. That's the best looking prediction that I've seen yet...

Looks too much like an ICEV to me, but that seems to be what the market wants.

="Reddy"
...If >200 mi EPA and <$35K that should sell as fast as they can make them.

I woudn't count on that.

Nissan has emphasized value over range in most of its announcements, so I think >125 EPA miles for < $30 k is what we can expect for the base model, likely with only incremental capacity improvements over the current "30 kWh" Pack.

It does look slightly longer and lower than the gen one to reduce aero resistance, and could be both lighter (as suggested below) and have improved drivetrain efficiency.

"Close to 200 miles" might mean only 40-45 kWh available from an optional larger pack, but it is possible Nissan will go for the extra CARB credits available from an even larger compliance pack.

Nissan's next-gen Leaf on deck

...Some styling cues of the test mule are similar to those of the first generation, including the side profile and hatch.

On the technical side, the critical change will be improving the driving range of the Leaf’s lithium ion battery, which currently claims an EPA-rated equivalent of 114 mpg combined city and highway on a full battery charge.

The car is also expected to be lighter because of increased use of carbon fiber.

Nissan has signaled that the redesigned Leaf will have a range of close to 200 miles.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017032 ... af-on-deck
no condition is permanent

DarthPuppy
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:54 pm

edatoakrun wrote:[
I woudn't count on that.

Nissan has emphasized value over range in most of its announcements, so I think >125 EPA miles for < $30 k is what we can expect for the base model,

Considering that when Chevy announced the Bolt and the primary stats were the range and pricing and Nissan said they will beat the Bolt, I would expect that they will deliver same or better range for same or less money than the Bolt. True, there will likely be lower range products at even lower price points. But I suspect the premium version will beat the Bolt on range and price. If some don't want that amount of range, then they can save some dough.

So the base model might start at the level you suggest. But the top model would still need Bolt range plus a mile for Bolt pricing less a $. They could deviate from that, but then there will be a bunch of bad press over how they didn't deliver on their promise. The other value proposition such as more space, better performance or handling, more comfortable seats won't factor into the assessment of whether they beat the Bolt as they had claimed.

edatoakrun

Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:51 am

I wouldn't be surprised if the LEAF gen two ProPilot dash looks a lot like that in the advanced prototype in the video below:

edatoakrun wrote:Point-to-Point demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfRqNAhAe6c

Autonomous Vehicles, LEAF and others...

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10233&start=260

No source for the 40 kWh reported below, but the photo indicates Nissan will probably stick with Chademo:

Has a 40 kWh battery and Chademo charging connector...

http://www.goingelectric.de/forum/nissa ... 22872.html

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:59 am

NavyCuda wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:

No, which is a major factor I know.
My LEAF and RWD Model S weren't very good in snow with regular tires. I have a long, steep, curved driveway so it is quite difficult when snowpacked or icy. After this crazy warm, wet winter here I finally got tired of using chains and put snow tires on the Model S at the end of January (Michelin XIce3) and the difference was amazing! Those tires stuck to snow and ice like glue. Before snow tires I wanted to trade my car in to get a dual drive S or Model 3. Now I am happy with RWD and no longer feel the need for AWD despite driving steep (14% grade) mountain hairpin turns every time I leave home.

Put good snows on your LEAF and you will completely change your view of its handling in snow. Modern snow tires are remarkable.

My 2¢.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

OrientExpress
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331

Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:27 am

The Gen2 LEAF has a whole new dash, and will have new instrument and center stack clusters.

edatoakrun wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the LEAF gen two ProPilot dash looks a lot like that in the advanced prototype in the video below:

No source for the 40 kWh reported below, but the photo indicates Nissan will probably stick with Chademo:

Has a 40 kWh battery and Chademo charging connector...

http://www.goingelectric.de/forum/nissa ... 22872.html
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
46,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

edatoakrun

Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:48 am

OrientExpress wrote:The Gen2 LEAF has a whole new dash, and will have new instrument and center stack clusters.

edatoakrun wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the LEAF gen two ProPilot dash looks a lot like that in the advanced prototype in the video below:

So, are you are saying the video above shows ~the gen two whole new dash...new instrument and center stack clusters or not?

If so, how will we survive without the tree displays on the dash...?

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”