NeilBlanchard
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 306278

Re: LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:42 pm

I hope the default mode has free wheel coasting - which is more efficient, because you accelerate less. Regen is great - but having it integrated on the brake pedal is the best way to use it.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:44 pm

As long as you can choose a mode (normal, coast, e-pedal) and have the car stay in it, I don't care which is the factory default, as long as it actually has all three.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

DarthPuppy
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:45 pm

Cool! I think this will be a nice feature.

Foschas
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2015
Leaf Number: 320277

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:33 am

Sounds like next level tech to what the BMW i3 has. As someone who uses "B" a lot in everyday driving, this is a feature I would enjoy having.

http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-one-pedal-driving-video/

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:38 am

Interesting update below explains one way that e-Pedal operation differs from Bolt (and other BEVs?).

Obviously, there could be some benefits in terms of added safety and efficiency from the e-Pedal system.

We Should Welcome The E-Pedal In The New Nissan Leaf, But It's Not The World's First: Updated

...Update: I heard back from Nissan spokesman Joshua Clifton who explained that the unique feature of the e-pedal system is that as the car comes to a stop, the hydraulic brakes are automatically applied to keep the vehicle stationary without the driver having to apply the brake. GM offers similar functionality in Bolt to hold the car but it is implemented differently. On the Bolt, the hydraulic brakes are only applied when the driver actually presses the brake pedal as well as for assist systems like automatic emergency braking and stability control. When the car slows under regen braking, at low speed as kinetic energy fades out, the control system applies a trickle of juice to the motor to generate sufficient reverse torque to bring the car to a full stop and hold it in place.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsa ... 8f2c9c72a2
no condition is permanent

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:18 am

The regen system of the Ioniq sounds, to me, like the best system currently available.

From what I understand, it has two steering wheel paddles - one that bumps up regen and the other that lessens regen. Also, there are 4 levels of regen to choose from including a coasting mode that basically disables regen completely.

Hope the new Leaf has similar functionality, even if the implimentation details are different.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:53 am

edatoakrun wrote:Interesting update below explains one way that e-Pedal operation differs from Bolt (and other BEVs?).

Obviously, there could be some benefits in terms of added safety and efficiency from the e-Pedal system.

We Should Welcome The E-Pedal In The New Nissan Leaf, But It's Not The World's First: Updated

...Update: I heard back from Nissan spokesman Joshua Clifton who explained that the unique feature of the e-pedal system is that as the car comes to a stop, the hydraulic brakes are automatically applied to keep the vehicle stationary without the driver having to apply the brake. GM offers similar functionality in Bolt to hold the car but it is implemented differently. On the Bolt, the hydraulic brakes are only applied when the driver actually presses the brake pedal as well as for assist systems like automatic emergency braking and stability control. When the car slows under regen braking, at low speed as kinetic energy fades out, the control system applies a trickle of juice to the motor to generate sufficient reverse torque to bring the car to a full stop and hold it in place.

Tesla's system holds the brakes once you press the brake pedal once, after which you can release the brake pedal but the brakes are held on until you press the accelerator (or the brake pedal). Once I started using it, I liked it and wondered why they just didn't implement the next obvious thing, similar to how the E-Pedal is described in the quote above: just apply the brakes automatically as the car comes to a stop.

Then I realized a potential downside: if you got used to the car doing this, and then moved back to a car that didn't do this, you might end up tail-ending the car in front of you at a traffic light.
Last edited by jlv on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

desiv
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 018850

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:07 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:I also saw a test mule charging in Tacoma and I was surprised that the car does appear to be longer than my LEAF. If I had to guess, maybe 6-10" or so? l

I hope it's not closer to the 10" side... A few inches bigger is probably OK.
Otherwise, it might not fit in my garage.. ;-(

It would be funny to end up with a Bolt mostly because the Leaf wouldn't fit in the garage.. ;-)

desiv
2012 SL - Silver

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:10 pm

jlv wrote:... if you got used to the car doing this, and then moved back to a car that didn't do this, you might end up tail-ending the car in front of you at a traffic light.

I haven't heard any Bolt drivers reporting having these accidents, after switching back to other cars.
no condition is permanent

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Tesla's system holds the breaks once you press the break pedal once, after which you can release the break pedal but the breaks are held on until you press the accelerator (or the break pedal). Once I started using it, I liked it and wondered why they just didn't implement the next obvious thing, similar to how the E-Pedal is described in the quote above: just apply the breaks automatically as the car comes to a stop.

Please, folks. It's "brake" or "brakes." Or at least use the wrong word more sparingly! ;-)
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”