DanCar
Posts: 873
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:00 am
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2013
Location: SF Bay area, 94043

Re: LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:58 am

Nissan says it will be released in the near future. What does that mean? Any rumors?

Foschas
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:35 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2015
Leaf Number: 320277
Location: Mass

Re: LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:23 am


DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 11587
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:01 am

evnow wrote:The problem with lower range EVs is that you can't drive it worry free because of aging/capacity loss and cold weather range.

Till now Nissan is paying for most of the capacity loss by offering cheap leases. That won't happen indefinitely. I think the range will stabilize around 300 miles minimum once the batteries are easily below $50/kWh with only econoboxes offering lower range.


LOL!!!

notta gonna happen!!!

too many people just fine with the LEAF as is. What we hear is a relatively small portion of the LEAF community with either above average need, unwillingness to compromise, or simply too paranoid for their own good (helped by Nissan instrumentation I might add) and we take that to be the norm.

well it is not. I talk with people nearly every day who are just fine with the range the LEAF provides and that number is growing by huge leaps and bounds right now and the reason?

not hard to understand. its lightly used LEAFs for $8,000 or new ones for $20,000.

FYI; I mentioned I was offered a super cheap buyout of my 2013 S and the response was 100% the same.

"I don't like the range of my LEAF either but for THAT price, I will make it work!"

so your ideology that 300 miles is the minimum? yeah that will only work if the car is offered at the same price as any other econobox gasser
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles. 2016 S30; 11311 miles. 363 GIDs, Ahr 82.34, Hx; 102ish% kwh 28.1
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gene
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:40 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014

Re: LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:24 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
evnow wrote:The problem with lower range EVs is that you can't drive it worry free because of aging/capacity loss and cold weather range.

Till now Nissan is paying for most of the capacity loss by offering cheap leases. That won't happen indefinitely. I think the range will stabilize around 300 miles minimum once the batteries are easily below $50/kWh with only econoboxes offering lower range.


LOL!!!

notta gonna happen!!!

too many people just fine with the LEAF as is. What we hear is a relatively small portion of the LEAF community with either above average need, unwillingness to compromise, or simply too paranoid for their own good (helped by Nissan instrumentation I might add) and we take that to be the norm.

well it is not. I talk with people nearly every day who are just fine with the range the LEAF provides and that number is growing by huge leaps and bounds right now and the reason?

not hard to understand. its lightly used LEAFs for $8,000 or new ones for $20,000.

FYI; I mentioned I was offered a super cheap buyout of my 2013 S and the response was 100% the same.

"I don't like the range of my LEAF either but for THAT price, I will make it work!"

so your ideology that 300 miles is the minimum? yeah that will only work if the car is offered at the same price as any other econobox gasser
Yep, I just bought one 3 weeks ago. It is a 2013 S with 25k miles, 12 bars, and Quick Charge. Price? $7600. For that price, and as it is a second car to our Tesla S, we can live with the range.
2013 Leaf S, Tesla S85, since March 2013! 2 x Tesla Model 3 on reserve, one for wife, one for son. I am one of the few who really like the way the Leaf looks!

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11324
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:22 pm

I'm not talking about when EVs are 1% < of the market - but when it is 10%+. Low range EVs are selling (in small numbers) basically because of super cheap leases. That won't continue- at some point OEMs need to be profitable.

I still think 100 miles range is good- but need large buffers to account for winter, battery degradation, range anxiety at low charge%. I think that means about 200 EPA range. May be that is where econoboxes end up (like Bolt). Future corollas and Camrys will have 300 mile range.

One think that can disrupt this is autonomous driving where people stop owning cars.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to ?

Reddy
Posts: 1328
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:09 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828
Location: Pasco, WA

Re: LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:36 pm


Well written and concise summary. I'll speculate that Leaf2 will be released as a 2018 model in October with the same 6.6KW L2, but a 60 KWh battery and 150 KW Chademo (high end model). As much as I would like to see a 10 KW charger, I doubt they'll change and will say that the 6.6 can still fill the battery overnight. Also, it's likely that they will offer a smaller battery option, maybe 40KWh. As for pricing, if it's not less than $35k (high end models) then they're in trouble. I'm hoping for $20-$30K. At best, I don't expect the to release any additional information until August, well after production begins.
Reddy
2011 SL; 10 bar, 48.82 AHr; 35,000 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

LeftieBiker
Posts: 6145
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:39 pm

I'd expect the 30kwh pack to stay, for the S, and maybe even for the Base SV.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Reddy
Posts: 1328
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:09 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828
Location: Pasco, WA

Re: LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:59 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:I'd expect the 30kwh pack to stay, for the S, and maybe even for the Base SV.

Yes that's good plan too. If they dropped the price to say $20,000 then they might have a chance competing with used Leafs. More than that, and I'll just get a 2015 or 2016 in a couple years
Reddy
2011 SL; 10 bar, 48.82 AHr; 35,000 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

GregH
Posts: 856
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:16 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 26967
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:33 pm

So which will be delivered first? The Leaf2 or the Tesla 3?
'17 blue Volt Premier w/ACC
'12 SL black Leaf
'11 SL blue Leaf
RAV4-EV 2002-2005
Gen1 & Gen2 EV1 1997-2003
PV 2.4Kw, 10kWh lithium battery SCE TOU-DA

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1390
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:58 pm

GregH wrote:So which will be delivered first? The Leaf2 or the Tesla 3?


My money is on Leaf2.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”