Durandal
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:55 am
Delivery Date: 22 Sep 2016
Leaf Number: 025018
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Nissan: We Can Match Bolt

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:03 am

Speaking of more efficient chargers, I wish that Nissan and other Japanese automakers would boost the on-board chargers up to 9.6kW, which is 40amps at 240v. This business of 3.6kW and 6.6kW is bologna.
Pulled the trigger on going EV on 10/2016 with a 2012 Leaf, and a Tesla Model 3 reservation expected to receive in late 2018.

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 11591
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan: We Can Match Bolt

Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Durandal wrote:Speaking of more efficient chargers, I wish that Nissan and other Japanese automakers would boost the on-board chargers up to 9.6kW, which is 40amps at 240v. This business of 3.6kW and 6.6kW is bologna.


hmmm, seems to me I read somewhere that the extra medium load a house in the US could take was roughly that...
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles. 2016 S30; 13001 miles. 363 GIDs, Ahr 82.34, Hx; 102ish% kwh 28.1 QCs 112
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1391
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Nissan: We Can Match Bolt

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:38 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Durandal wrote:Speaking of more efficient chargers, I wish that Nissan and other Japanese automakers would boost the on-board chargers up to 9.6kW, which is 40amps at 240v. This business of 3.6kW and 6.6kW is bologna.


hmmm, seems to me I read somewhere that the extra medium load a house in the US could take was roughly that...

Aim not sure what you are saying here, Dave.

The available load in a house should not drive the decision of the in board charger but of the EVSE installed in one's garage. There is certainly merit in buying an EV with a 240V/80A on board charger even if the EVSE in your garage is only 32A. Even here in Syracuse, there are 80A public EVSEs around at various hotels and other destinations.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 11591
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan: We Can Match Bolt

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:19 am

GetOffYourGas wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Durandal wrote:Speaking of more efficient chargers, I wish that Nissan and other Japanese automakers would boost the on-board chargers up to 9.6kW, which is 40amps at 240v. This business of 3.6kW and 6.6kW is bologna.


hmmm, seems to me I read somewhere that the extra medium load a house in the US could take was roughly that...

Aim not sure what you are saying here, Dave.

The available load in a house should not drive the decision of the in board charger but of the EVSE installed in one's garage. There is certainly merit in buying an EV with a 240V/80A on board charger even if the EVSE in your garage is only 32A. Even here in Syracuse, there are 80A public EVSEs around at various hotels and other destinations.


need to roll much farther back on the time line here. This was engineering decision. you are thinking "owner". you need to think "designer"

I don't remember the details of the article but guessing most Japanese households simply could not add a huge load without upgrading.

FYI; this also true of many older homes in the US.

now after all that; I am only mentioning this so speculating after the fact is something that is done extensively here but won't change a thing and nothing said will be any righter or wronger since in the grand scheme of things; we simply don't know why the decision was made...
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles. 2016 S30; 13001 miles. 363 GIDs, Ahr 82.34, Hx; 102ish% kwh 28.1 QCs 112
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Posts: 5783
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Nissan: We Can Match Bolt

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:47 am

Durandal wrote:Speaking of more efficient chargers, I wish that Nissan and other Japanese automakers would boost the on-board chargers up to 9.6kW, which is 40amps at 240v. This business of 3.6kW and 6.6kW is bologna.



For home charging this is not needed in the majority of cases nor can it be supported. Public charges do not support this and the added cost and weight is expensive passed on to the consumer. In fact the majority of LEAF owners can get by with 3.8kw charging 90% of the time. If you have a very large pack then a larger charger is sometimes needed. I never used the 9.6kw charger in my RAV once and usually charged at 3.8 or 6.0 ish.

WetEV
Posts: 1682
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Nissan: We Can Match Bolt

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:14 am

EVDRIVER wrote:
Durandal wrote:Speaking of more efficient chargers, I wish that Nissan and other Japanese automakers would boost the on-board chargers up to 9.6kW, which is 40amps at 240v. This business of 3.6kW and 6.6kW is bologna.



For home charging this is not needed in the majority of cases nor can it be supported. Public charges do not support this and the added cost and weight is expensive passed on to the consumer. In fact the majority of LEAF owners can get by with 3.8kw charging 90% of the time. If you have a very large pack then a larger charger is sometimes needed. I never used the 9.6kw charger in my RAV once and usually charged at 3.8 or 6.0 ish.


I disagree on public charging only.

For home charging, 3.8 kW is OK most of the time, and 6.x-7.2 is the most I'd like.

There are a fair number of 60 Amp and 80 Amp charging stations out in the hinderlands. Charging at 19.2kW with a larger battery would make some of the trips I'm thinking about fairly easy. Sure, not a DCFC, but about three times faster than than 6.x kW or 7.2kW. Difference is a hour and a half stop vs four and a half hours. Yes, I'm thinking about a 60 kWh battery, not a current Leaf.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

Durandal
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:55 am
Delivery Date: 22 Sep 2016
Leaf Number: 025018
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: Nissan: We Can Match Bolt

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:18 am

EVDRIVER wrote:
Durandal wrote:Speaking of more efficient chargers, I wish that Nissan and other Japanese automakers would boost the on-board chargers up to 9.6kW, which is 40amps at 240v. This business of 3.6kW and 6.6kW is bologna.



For home charging this is not needed in the majority of cases nor can it be supported. Public charges do not support this and the added cost and weight is expensive passed on to the consumer. In fact the majority of LEAF owners can get by with 3.8kw charging 90% of the time. If you have a very large pack then a larger charger is sometimes needed. I never used the 9.6kw charger in my RAV once and usually charged at 3.8 or 6.0 ish.


Unfortunately I encounter the situation where I need 40 amps of charging about once every month. I don't live in an urban area, so if I'm doing a lot of errands, or need to go somewhere 2 hours after returning home, I cannot do so if the destination is too far. A 9.6kW charger would solve this. I now have a bit of regret of having a 2012 SL instead of a 2013, with it limiting me to 3.6kW.
Pulled the trigger on going EV on 10/2016 with a 2012 Leaf, and a Tesla Model 3 reservation expected to receive in late 2018.

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 11591
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan: We Can Match Bolt

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:27 am

EVDRIVER wrote:
Durandal wrote:Speaking of more efficient chargers, I wish that Nissan and other Japanese automakers would boost the on-board chargers up to 9.6kW, which is 40amps at 240v. This business of 3.6kW and 6.6kW is bologna.



For home charging this is not needed in the majority of cases nor can it be supported. Public charges do not support this and the added cost and weight is expensive passed on to the consumer. In fact the majority of LEAF owners can get by with 3.8kw charging 90% of the time. If you have a very large pack then a larger charger is sometimes needed. I never used the 9.6kw charger in my RAV once and usually charged at 3.8 or 6.0 ish.


yep its all about cost and convenience. They likely picked 3.8 because it was fast enough to get an overnight charge.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles. 2016 S30; 13001 miles. 363 GIDs, Ahr 82.34, Hx; 102ish% kwh 28.1 QCs 112
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Posts: 5783
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Nissan: We Can Match Bolt

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:06 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
Durandal wrote:Speaking of more efficient chargers, I wish that Nissan and other Japanese automakers would boost the on-board chargers up to 9.6kW, which is 40amps at 240v. This business of 3.6kW and 6.6kW is bologna.



For home charging this is not needed in the majority of cases nor can it be supported. Public charges do not support this and the added cost and weight is expensive passed on to the consumer. In fact the majority of LEAF owners can get by with 3.8kw charging 90% of the time. If you have a very large pack then a larger charger is sometimes needed. I never used the 9.6kw charger in my RAV once and usually charged at 3.8 or 6.0 ish.


yep its all about cost and convenience. They likely picked 3.8 because it was fast enough to get an overnight charge.



If you charge on 3.8 and need 6.0 because you need a quick 1 hour charge to go back out is moot because the difference is so small in miles added. The reality is that higher pack density and capacity solves the issue. In the bay area there are very few chargers over 6kw.

WetEV
Posts: 1682
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Nissan: We Can Match Bolt

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:35 am

EVDRIVER wrote:The reality is that higher pack density and capacity solves the issue. In the bay area there are very few chargers over 6kw.


And for the trip to Port Hardy, BC, there are a fair number of 100 Amp and 80 Amp 240V/208V Sun Country charging stations. Not much else.

Or the 48A in Republic WA. And the 70A in Omak WA. And the 70A in Winthrop, WA. Or the two 68A at Hobuck Beach Resort, Neah Bay, WA.

It would be nice to stop at the Hospitality Inn in Port Alberni, BC, and eat lunch while the car charges at 70A/208V. 14.5kW. Or stay the night, for that matter, and need half as much charging time.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”