dhanson865
Leaf Number: 16156

Re: What expectation or concerns do we have of a Nissan 60kwh battery

Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:12 pm

powersurge wrote:I don't understand why people are talking about 60 kw and 100kw batteries

Yep, you seem to be confused by KW vs kWh.

kWh is a battery
KW is a charger

no one is talking about a 100 kw battery they are talking about a 100KW charger for a 60 kWh battery.

You'll have to get used to the KW vs kWh before you can keep up with a discussion like this.
2012 Leaf tires 195/65/15 Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S, 15" Rims
wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss
(leaf range chart)
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

xan
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 408482

Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:33 am

powersurge wrote:People don't realize that we really don't need to have so much capacity in our cars on a daily basis. Why do I want to pay for and carry around a battery that will take me 200 miles if I only drive 50 miles per day?

The main reason people want a longer range EV is so that it can meet ALL of their needs. I am one of those individuals. I live an an area where available charging outside of my work is scarce, and would love to be able to ditch my ICE completely.

Longer range would also help make it so more people wouldn't have to charge outside of home or work (or both), freeing up more charging stations along the way for those of us who take that occasional longer trip. It would also allow us to charge less often along trips, which also frees up stations.

Of course, if your only needs are to drive a 25 mile radius from your home, the current battery capacity is plenty. I could see Nissan continuing to offer 2 or more capacities for different prices, similar to how Tesla has done.
2013 Nissan LEAF S

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:39 am

dhanson865 wrote:
powersurge wrote:I don't understand why people are talking about 60 kw and 100kw batteries

kWh is a battery
KW is a charger

no one is talking about a 100 kw battery they are talking about a 100KW charger for a 60 kWh battery.

You'll have to get used to the KW vs kWh before you can keep up with a discussion like this.

No, I know quite a bit, but I am not writing a technical paper here. I feel very informal in a car forum, and would hope that people understand what I mean when I talk about a 24KW battery....

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:07 am

powersurge wrote:I feel very informal in a car forum, and would hope that people understand what I mean when I talk about a 24KW battery....

I don't understand what you are talking about.

A battery can be charged and discharged at a rate. 20kW is a rate. Are you talking about the rate that the battery can be charged or discharged?

A battery holds energy. A 20kWh battery I understand.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

EVDRIVER

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:54 am

powersurge wrote:
dhanson865 wrote:

kWh is a battery
KW is a charger

No, I know quite a bit, but I am not writing a technical paper here. I feel very informal in a car forum, and would hope that people understand what I mean when I talk about a 24KW battery....

With 150 posts here you should know the difference buy now on a simple concept, you can measure power output of a pack that way but not capacity and the LEAF has more than 24kw output. Just as watts and kw are not the same, there is a big difference in your terms.

desiv
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 018850

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:59 am

Here's a good link (or one I like):
http://www.energylens.com/articles/kw-and-kwh

But I guess this is more about style than substance..

Oh well, at least no one mentioned trying to get a charge at an L2 Charger... ;-) ;-)

desiv
2012 SL - Silver

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:20 pm

powersurge wrote: I feel very informal in a car forum, and would hope that people understand what I mean when I talk about a 24KW battery....

With all due respect, that doesn't make it proper, or any less confusing for those who may not know the difference.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 70,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

ironmanco
Delivery Date: 25 Jan 2016

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:48 am

I think many are assuming that Nissan will retain a linear relationship between battery size and range. At some point, the battery size no longer it just being used for range increase but rather increasing vehicle size and accessories (Tesla). Do you want just a 60kW battery to support the exact same leaf but provide longer range? I don't think that's going to be in Nissan's best interest.

Rather, we'll see electric motor seats, larger body size (wagons, sedans) & cargo capacity, larger motor, etc. with moderate increases in range above the 200 mile point.

Granted, the above is not a "concern" per se, but it's important to frame the fact that we can't think of the draw down of the battery being solely due to range as the other changes (body, accessories, etc) will have significant impact as well.
2016 Nissan Leaf SL Deep Blue Pearl
Charging: evseupgrade L2 charging 30A circuit @ 24A shared garage heater circuit (ask me)

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:41 am

THAT'S IT! I"VE HAD IT!!!

I have reached the breaking point when multiple people give me CRAP over whether I use "KW" or "KWH". You guys continually trying to correct my scientific "grammar" is not just annoying, but it is downright disrespectful, especially if I was a naïve or uneducated individual... I did not ask for you to evaluate my spelling on my posts, and it just shows that you REALLY need to show your one-upsmanship. Actually, I have a Ph.D. in the sciences, have taken physics, organic chemistry, and a transcript of crap that you have never heard of.

Thank you for my education in using this site. I will now become a LURKER, never post another thing, and just read posts once in a while for entertainment. Also, please don't comment on how you are glad to get rid of me, because then you are proving that you are a bully... SHEESH!!! I can believe that I have written this over a freakin "KW".

ironmanco
Delivery Date: 25 Jan 2016

Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:44 am

powersurge wrote:THAT'S IT! I"VE HAD IT!!!

I have reached the breaking point when multiple people give me CRAP over whether I use "KW" or "KWH". You guys continually trying to correct my scientific "grammar" is not just annoying, but it is downright disrespectful, especially if I was a naïve or uneducated individual... I did not ask for you to evaluate my spelling on my posts, and it just shows that you REALLY need to show your one-upsmanship. Actually, I have a Ph.D. in the sciences, have taken physics, organic chemistry, and a transcript of crap that you have never heard of.

Thank you for my education in using this site. I will now become a LURKER, never post another thing, and just read posts once in a while for entertainment. Also, please don't comment on how you are glad to get rid of me, because then you are proving that you are a bully... SHEESH!!! I can believe that I have written this over a freakin "KW".

There are many brands of decaffeinated coffee on the market that have just as full a flavor as regular :-)
2016 Nissan Leaf SL Deep Blue Pearl
Charging: evseupgrade L2 charging 30A circuit @ 24A shared garage heater circuit (ask me)

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”