internalaudit
Delivery Date: 09 Aug 2032

Re: Why the LEAF Gen 2 and not the 220 miles Tesla Model 3?

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:38 pm

SageBrush wrote:
internalaudit wrote:
SageBrush wrote:Every week I have 90 mile drives
Most months I have 250 - 300 mile drives each way
I have to factor in degradation and winter.

Since a 400 mile range EV is not in the cards for now, my choice narrows down to enough range for my weekly driving with winter and degradation included, and en-route charging for the 300 mile drives. That leaves Tesla standing.

As a current S owner, are you getting free charging on the 3 as well? :) Or will you be using the S to do those 300 mile one way drives?

You have no issues at all with your S with your CPO warranty almost expiring?

You are confusing me with someone else.

To that someone else, are you not too happy with out of warranty repair costs?

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:52 pm

internalaudit wrote:

Since a 400 mile range EV is not in the cards for now, my choice narrows down to enough range for my weekly driving with winter and degradation included, and en-route charging for the 300 mile drives. That leaves Tesla standing.

As a current S owner, are you getting free charging on the 3 as well? :) Or will you be using the S to do those 300 mile one way drives?

SageBrush's "S" is the Leaf S, versus SV or SL.
[2013 leaf traded for 2016 leaf S30:
build date: Sep '16 :: purchased: Nov '16
1 May 2017 - 7300 miles & 363 GIDs
6 Sep 2017 - 13k miles & 359 GIDs
26 Oct 2017 - 15.5k miles & 344 GIDs]

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:59 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
I've sat in the Bolt but never driven one, is it really that uncomfortable and unpractical?

I have only just sat in one and it was VERY uncomfortable. But I think options could mitigate it. I am not completely out of the Bolt arena yet but I will definitely be waiting to see the 2018 version.

I'm a shorter (5' 6") and medium build man, and I just sat in a Bolt today. The seats fit me just fine (I'm guessing my body type is the target demographic) and were "supportive", but definitely WAY TOO FIRM for long distance driving - maybe if I were younger. And don't get me started about the interior. I now understand better what the complaints were about. The Leaf S's cloth interior is much nicer than the Bolt Premier's leatherette. Making the Bolt nothing more than a one-trick pony (large battery for both range and power).

So I'm dropping consideration of the Bolt, and would only consider the model 3 (if I can save enough pennies) or leaf 2 (because of price - hoping for discounts after 6 months on the market).
[2013 leaf traded for 2016 leaf S30:
build date: Sep '16 :: purchased: Nov '16
1 May 2017 - 7300 miles & 363 GIDs
6 Sep 2017 - 13k miles & 359 GIDs
26 Oct 2017 - 15.5k miles & 344 GIDs]

internalaudit

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:
internalaudit wrote:

Oh, I was referring to his Model S. I didn't know he still had his Leaf S.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:47 pm

internalaudit wrote:
Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:
internalaudit wrote:

Ah .... now I get it. LOL
I own a Nissan LEAF and a Toyota Prime
I have a reservation towards a Tesla Model 3.

You are confused by my Signature. The 'QC with rear camera ' should have been a clue, if not the Ahr rating
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

DesertSprings
Delivery Date: 21 Dec 2014
Leaf Number: 319100

Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:17 pm

Just a reminder for those complaining about Bolt seats, there are a number of inexpensive DIY hacks that seem to solve the issue for most people and only take a few min to fix. They're detailed on the mychevybolt.com forum.

There are appears to be two problems:
A) The outer/edge of the seat is too high compared to the middle, causing you to feel pinched
B) Too thin of foam causing pressure points where you can feel the metal infrastructure of the chair (varies from car to car)
(Both of these are solved by unclipping the seats, cramming some cheap foam in, and reclipping the seats so it looks stock.)

Yes, it is stupid that Chevy used such weird seats and didn't have better QC on the seat padding which seems highly variable. Yes it is stupid you have to fix it yourself on a $40k car. But it can be fixed quite easily.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:05 pm

Since I was one of the people who came up with the main fix I'll be more specific: you unclip the seat cover attachment hooks and then add medium or high density foam to the underside of the seat cushion - not under the cover on top, which would interfere with the seat heater and weight sensor. It's easier to cut the foam into two or more pieces than to try to use one large piece. This does not, however, fix any issues with the seat back, except in a few cases where being higher in the seat was enough.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

internalaudit

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:32 pm

SageBrush wrote:
internalaudit wrote:
Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:

You are confused by my Signature. The 'QC with rear camera ' should have been a clue, if not the Ahr rating

Haha. Makes sense know. When I saw your signature I thought you already have a CPO Tesla Model S.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:18 pm

internalaudit wrote:
SageBrush wrote:
internalaudit wrote:

Haha. Makes sense know. When I saw your signature I thought you already have a CPO Tesla Model S.

I wondered about your adamant opinions, but it didn't make any sense to me that you would think I would not acknowledge my own signature.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

GRA

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:10 pm

SageBrush wrote:
internalaudit wrote:
SageBrush wrote:Ah .... now I get it. LOL

I wondered about your adamant opinions, but it didn't make any sense to me that you would think I would not acknowledge my own signature.

Saying you have a 'Model S' instead of a 'LEAF S' is bound to cause confusion, even though you specify QC and rear view camera. The Model is 'LEAF', the trim level is 'S'. Most people will parse "Model S" and stop there. Just the way the brain works. It would be the same if you called a BMW 3-series a 'Model 3'.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”