EVDRIVER

Re: Why the LEAF Gen 2 and not the 220 miles Tesla Model 3?

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:33 pm

TomT wrote:Sorry, but I'll take Tesla battery chemistry, TMS, and management over Nissan's any day! My five years with Leaf taught me that!

Nubo wrote:- Tesla battery chemistry is inherently less stable.

It seems to last a long time with little degradation.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:07 pm

By "less stable" they are referring to the likelihood of thermal runaway, not degradation rate. Think of a giant laptop...
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:33 pm

Last edited by Nubo on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Nubo

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:45 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:Have you ever spent any time driving a Tesla at length? I would bet all cars begin to follow this model. There is nothing that is less safe on the Tesla operationally.

Perhaps I'm fussy about controls. There are aspects of the LEAF controls that I'm not happy with, and for the same human factors type issues. Too many distractions that could have been handled simply with muscle memory instead of fiddling around.

I've only test-driven the model S. Glad you like yours.

Will other makers follow suit by aggregating controls to a touch screen? I'd be surprised if they didn't. It's ultimately cheaper. Not better, but that is my opinion.

Nubo

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:47 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:By "less stable" they are referring to the likelihood of thermal runaway, not degradation rate. Think of a giant laptop...

Yes. I'm not saying the risk is unacceptable, but the purpose of the thread was an inquiry as to what items LEAF owners considered advantageous and that is one of mine. Not saying I wouldn't consider Model 3, but the items I listed, taken together, are what are making me lean towards LEAF2.

webb14leafs
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2017

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:29 am

joeriv wrote:It seems to me that perhaps we focus too much on battery size and not enough on "what for?" If I lived in Canada and wanted a BEV as a primary car, I'd be hard pressed to find one that really meets all my needs. However, if I want a second car for local driving, a 30 kw Leaf will fill my needs easily (if you want to see a very long analysis on primary vs second car use, check this out: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0968090X16000371)).

IMHO a BEV can be the perfect second car for local driving. I don't do more than 50 miles/day so a 30 kw Leaf meets my needs for a second car. I routinely do long trips (700 miles) so my primary car is a Lexus ES350 - a great highway car. Most of the time the Lexus is under a cover.

So to the original question, Tesla or Leaf, considering my needs for a local car, I'd be hard pressed to justify $50,000 for a Tesla as a local car vs a Leaf at about $30,000 MSRP before incentives and discounts, which can lower the cost considerably.

Couldn't agree more. I'm really surprised the Leaf hasn't made more market penetration as a second car.

webb14leafs

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:34 am

evnow wrote:
joeriv wrote:So to the original question, Tesla or Leaf, considering my needs for a local car, I'd be hard pressed to justify $50,000 for a Tesla as a local car vs a Leaf at about $30,000 MSRP before incentives and discounts, which can lower the cost considerably.

How does $30k Leaf compare to $35k Model 3 ?

Less range, less cool. Also, Tesla's batteries have historically had less degradation, but we don't know about the Model 3 yet. For your needs the extra $5K might make sense. I have a feeling that the MSRPs are misleading, though. The Leaf has routinely sold for $5K less than MSRP all over the country, while the Model 3 will likely only produce a limited number of the base model 3s in the next couple of years.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:52 am

webb14leafs wrote: while the Model 3 will likely only produce a limited number of the base model 3s in the next couple of years.
How can you possibly know that ? I have a reservation for a base model that Tesla currently estimates for ~ march delivery.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

webb14leafs

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:06 am

SageBrush wrote:
webb14leafs wrote: while the Model 3 will likely only produce a limited number of the base model 3s in the next couple of years.
How can you possibly know that ? I have a reservation for a base model that Tesla currently estimates for ~ march delivery.

Emphasis on "reservation".

Tesla has reported that they will not start manufacturing the base model until late fall 2017, and I imagine that someone without a reservation will not have access to the base model until early 2019.

I don't KNOW that, but I think it's a reasonable assumption. I think if you're trying to decide on whether to buy a Leaf 2.0 or a Model 3, having to potentially wait a full year longer for one than the other should factor into your decision.

EatsShootsandLeafs
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:01 am

webb14leafs wrote:I don't KNOW that, but I think it's a reasonable assumption. I think if you're trying to decide on whether to buy a Leaf 2.0 or a Model 3, having to potentially wait a full year longer for one than the other should factor into your decision.
And I'll add that anybody even pondering this thought and who has not reserved ought to do so smartly. Unless Tesla goes belly up, the $1k is easily retrievable; it is not a deposit, but just buying a place in line and can be cancelled at any time.

I put my 3 reservation in not when I had "decided" i wanted a three, but when I decided I'd strongly consider it. That bought me a spot in line. Reservations have spiked since the july unveil, too.

It occurs to me the OP might consider simply using his rav4 on winter days when a snow storm or crazy low temps are expected. Then his wife has the EV for the summer/fall/spring/warmer winter days.

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”