User avatar
OrientExpress
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: Post your questions about the '18 LEAF 2 reveal here

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:17 pm

The tail and stop lamps are LED, but the turn and backup lamps are still analog bulbs.
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
46,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

User avatar
OrientExpress
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: Post your questions about the '18 LEAF 2 reveal here

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:Is there a charge limiter with leaf 2? I miss it very much on my 2016. :(


No crank starter, mechanical speedometer or charging limiter.
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
46,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

alozzy
Posts: 701
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Website

Re: Post your questions about the '18 LEAF 2 reveal here

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:43 pm

@Nubo
All else being equal, a higher capacity battery should produce less heat per unit of work. But of course rarely is all else equal


Can you explain the physics of that, I'm curious. I'm assuming the voltage of the individuals cells is the same in a 30 kWh pack vs a 40 kWh pack (nominally 3.6V). So, more energy density is achieved by packing more individual cells in to the same amount of space.

Or are you saying that the chemistry has been fundamentally changed so that the same sized cell has a higher mAh rating, so the number of cells is roughly the same?
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

User avatar
UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:35 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190
Location: Central NJ
Contact: ICQ Website WLM Yahoo Messenger AOL

Re: Post your questions about the '18 LEAF 2 reveal here

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:03 pm

Hey! I'm here too at the Aria :)

Test drove it this morning.

I really liked it. Love the ePedal and AutoSteer. Ride felt firmer too. I chirped the tires a few times.

Here's the test drive I went on (David Laur) driving first.

https://youtu.be/ncHybhwvxY4




OrientExpress wrote:I'm at the US '18 LEAF reveal and first drive today and tomorrow in Las Vegas. This event is concurrent with the Japan reveal.

Post your questions about the car here and I'll try to get answers for you from the Nissan product folks. If you want specific photos of parts of the car let me know that as well

Photos and videos will be up starting Wednesday evening.
Do you know the EV RULES?

Learn them today by clicking here: http://EV-RULES.com

LeftieBiker
Posts: 7336
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Post your questions about the '18 LEAF 2 reveal here

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:09 pm

OrientExpress wrote:
Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:Is there a charge limiter with leaf 2? I miss it very much on my 2016. :(


No crank starter, mechanical speedometer or charging limiter.


Stop trying to spin it. They once again force us to limit charging by manually unplugging the car and counting hours, to avoid having it sit at 100%. You know, I'm going to test drive a Bolt, and if the seats are by some miracle comfortable for me, I'll get whichever car has the better lease deal, probably meaning the Bolt. I'm tired of Nissan screwing up obvious things despite our input, and essentially telling us to live with them.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 4498
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Post your questions about the '18 LEAF 2 reveal here

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:46 pm

alozzy wrote:@Nubo
All else being equal, a higher capacity battery should produce less heat per unit of work. But of course rarely is all else equal


Can you explain the physics of that, I'm curious. I'm assuming the voltage of the individuals cells is the same in a 30 kWh pack vs a 40 kWh pack (nominally 3.6V). So, more energy density is achieved by packing more individual cells in to the same amount of space.

Or are you saying that the chemistry has been fundamentally changed so that the same sized cell has a higher mAh rating, so the number of cells is roughly the same?


Current is expressed in terms of "C", where C is the amp-hours expressed as a rate in amps. A 50amp-hour battery supply 50 amps is said to be discharging at 1C. If it supplies 100 amps, then it's discharging at 2C. Charging is also expressed in terms of those rates. Heat generation is generally proportional to the C rate, and the manufacturer will specify maximum C rates, both short-term and sustained, charging and discharging, that the battery can be subjected to. This is mostly an expression of heat-generation.

A 100 amp-hour battery delivering (or charging at) 100 amps is only working at 1C as opposed to the 50 amp-hour battery at 100 amps, which is 2C. The 50 amp-hour battery is working much harder and will generate more heat, assuming equivalent chemistries, etc... For further info, look up "intercalation" in lithium-ion batteries.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

dsh
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:29 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 001069

Re: Post your questions about the '18 LEAF 2 reveal here

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:05 pm

Does anyone know if the 2018 LEAF will show Capacity Bars on it's Battery Capacity level gauge?
Last edited by dsh on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SL-e

SageBrush
Posts: 1481
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Post your questions about the '18 LEAF 2 reveal here

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:05 pm

Nubo wrote:
alozzy wrote:@Nubo
All else being equal, a higher capacity battery should produce less heat per unit of work. But of course rarely is all else equal


Can you explain the physics of that, I'm curious. I'm assuming the voltage of the individuals cells is the same in a 30 kWh pack vs a 40 kWh pack (nominally 3.6V). So, more energy density is achieved by packing more individual cells in to the same amount of space.

Or are you saying that the chemistry has been fundamentally changed so that the same sized cell has a higher mAh rating, so the number of cells is roughly the same?


Current is expressed in terms of "C", where C is the amp-hours expressed as a rate in amps. A 50amp-hour battery supply 50 amps is said to be discharging at 1C. If it supplies 100 amps, then it's discharging at 2C. Charging is also expressed in terms of those rates. Heat generation is generally proportional to the C rate, and the manufacturer will specify maximum C rates, both short-term and sustained, charging and discharging, that the battery can be subjected to. This is mostly an expression of heat-generation.

A 100 amp-hour battery delivering (or charging at) 100 amps is only working at 1C as opposed to the 50 amp-hour battery at 100 amps, which is 2C. The 50 amp-hour battery is working much harder and will generate more heat, assuming equivalent chemistries, etc... For further info, look up "intercalation" in lithium-ion batteries.
The effect you are describing is noticeable to a person without instruments at high C rates, not between one and two C. At current DCFC rates the heat generation will be proportional to kWh into the battery until the SoC is over ~ 50%. The temperature increase will be less in the 40 kWh battery due to increased heat capacity, but the heat will dissipate proportional to Newton's law and the unchanged battery surface area.

Try this: take a 30 mile drive for 30 miles at 30 mph and then at 60 mph. Correct for air friction and tell us if you can find increased battery consumption per mile.

Or this: From a low SoC (say, below 30) charge 10 kWh or up to say 60% into the battery on a > 6 kW L2 or DCFC. Compare the two wall kWh used.
Last edited by SageBrush on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

LeftieBiker
Posts: 7336
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Post your questions about the '18 LEAF 2 reveal here

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:07 pm

dsh wrote:Does anyone know if the 2018 LEAF will show Capacity Bars on it's Dash Display?


There is a battery icon with a cell phone type two-tone charge indicator and a % SOC above it. No individual bars, AFAIK.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Posts: 7252
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Post your questions about the '18 LEAF 2 reveal here

Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:06 pm

co2112 wrote:
All Leafs have a 6.6-kW onboard charger that allows charging at Level 2 (J1772) in about eight hour


I had to Google to find the above quote at http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-n ... ation-news. I was hoping for official confirmation as there's been confusion elsewhere.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”