cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: 2018 LEAF Drive Review

Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:30 am

edatoakrun wrote:Comments of note by the Nissan employee conducting the test drives.

I don't think he was a Nissan employee, but rather that of a firm that Nissan hired to run the program, supply the driver/ride-along person, etc.

One of the those folks, possibly the company owner/head actually posted in https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWi3 within the past few months about the program and mentioned his firm's involvement with other programs, including for BMW. I unfortunately don't remember his name and don't know whether or not his post was deleted. Some folks there are errr... not happy (for lack of a better word) when people start new threads that aren't about the i3.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199

Re: 2018 LEAF Drive Review

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:59 am

cwerdna wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:Its a foregone conclusion that 9.6 KW charging is likely to be the norm in less than 2 years

Why do you say that?

Other than Teslas-powered EVs, I've seen no other mainstream EVs or PHEVs ship with above 7.2 kW OBC in the US. Many PHEVs still ship with lame 3.x kW OBCs w/no option to go higher (e.g. gen 2 Volt, I believe all Ford PHEVs, Prius Prime, most/all BMW PHEVs except the i3 REx, etc.)

I've personally never seen any public J1772 charging that is capable of over 30 or 32 amps.

Are you saying we're suddenly going to see many more vehicles w/9.6+ kW OBCs and many 40 amp public L2 EVSEs within 2 years?

primary reason is the inability to get a full recharge within the period set aside for most TOU programs. The Bolt recharge time is already 9+ hours. Manufacturers should be targeting no more than 8.

Do I understand that reality dictates that the max charge time would be needed at best a few times a month if that? Of course I do.

Has Reality EVER made a difference in the consumer's mind? NEVER, not one single time in the history of Auto Consumerism and common sense purchasing is NOT going to start now.

The Bolt has several questionable cost cutting features and the L2 speed is one of them. When the glow of Big Battery fades, people will be asking for it.

Besides; you said it yourself "Other than Tesla" ;)
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 27,000 miles.363GID Ahr 79.13Hx95.17%kwh28.1QCs238,L2's 251
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”