edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

When will Nissan reach 100k a year Gen two LEAF sales target?

Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:42 am

If Nissan is as serious about making money on the Gen two as it says it is, and refusing to cut prices below cost, then the sales rate will depend largely on conditions outside Nissan's control, economic conditions, gas prices, and incentive levels in major markets.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it reached an annual sales rate of ~100k worldwide in the first year after production reaches full speed in all three factories.

So, I'll guess ~50k produced for the 2018 MY, and the first ~100k Gen two LEAFs sold by 4/1/19.

Nissan's new Leaf puts reality before romanticism

TOKYO -- Nissan Motor's revamped Leaf, its signature fully-electric car, is slated to go on sale in Japan on Monday.

The new model from an automaker that calls itself an electric-car leader has a sales target of 100,000 or so units a year. The number does not sound particularly ambitious, considering that rival Tesla's latest Model 3 attracted 500,000 or so orders.

Behind Nissan's moderate attitude is a bitter lesson of struggling to balance the dream and the reality of pushing the next-generation vehicles.

"Sustainability is the most essential thing for a business," said Hideyuki Sakamoto, executive vice president of the automaker. "Nissan isn't a gambler." The comment was an indication that the automaker would not try to sell as many Leafs as possible by offering low prices...

While adequately featuring state-of-the-art technology, Nissan made the most of parts from the previous Leaf to achieve the desired cost-profitability balance for the revamped version.

"The new Leaf is not a loss-making model," said a Nissan executive...

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Compan ... ism?page=1

In comparison, it took Nissan over three years to sell 100k Gen one LEAFs:

When will LEAF sales reach 100,000?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13514&start=10
no condition is permanent

Jedlacks
Delivery Date: 29 May 2016

Re: When will Nissan reach 100k a year Gen two LEAF sales target?

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:21 pm

I'm not convinced that they need to sell 100k a year. They do make other cars that they are also trying to make money on. It is also obvious to all of us that they are not trying to compete with Tesla in range or luxury.
2015 SV QC/LED
Juicebox 40A

webb14leafs
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2017

Re: When will Nissan reach 100k a year Gen two LEAF sales target?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:29 am

Global or US?

I'll guess 20 months, with sales of the 2019 model really taking off. If the charging infrastructure makes huge leaps in the US, then this could change quickly.

The Gen 1 has been selling at a clip of around 50,000 units per year for the last 3 years. I would expect the Gen 2 to exceed that, with European sales leading the charge. European and Japanese drivers generally have shorter commutes, better access to charging and a love of hatchbacks.

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”