Extra $1,600 for Quick Charge Port

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webb14leafs

Nissan recently released the configuration pricing for the 2018 Leaf, and unfortunately the QC port is not a stock option. To me this seems ridiculous and the $1,600 it takes to get the QC port is even more ridiculous. Why increase the range if you don't make QC a standard item?

The true cost difference btwn the Leaf and Bolt/M3 just reduced by $1,600.

I love my Leaf, but this is not cool.

https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/2018-leaf/configure/

webb14leafs said:
Nissan recently released the configuration pricing for the 2018 Leaf, and unfortunately the QC port is not a stock option. To me this seems ridiculous and the $1,600 it takes to get the QC port is even more ridiculous. Why increase the range if you don't make QC a standard item?

It's an option on the Bolt too, but "only" $750 extra. It's not standard on either trim of the Bolt.

I was surprised at the cost too. Especially when the SV is only $2500 more than the S and includes the port and more. I suspect no ssan will sell very few S+Charge Package at these prices.

GetOffYourGas said:
webb14leafs said:

It's an option on the Bolt too, but "only" $750 extra. It's not standard on either trim of the Bolt.

I was surprised at the cost too. Especially when the SV is only $2500 more than the S and includes the port and more. I suspect no ssan will sell very few S+Charge Package at these prices.

I didn't realize QC wasn't standard on the Bolt. Just seems pointless to NOT have QC on a car with high range.

webb14leafs said:
Just seems pointless to NOT have QC on a car with high range.

Yeah, it kinda is. I bought the Bolt so I can travel with it. Without the QC port, it's just another local car, with a longer leash. A 119-mile radius isn't mind blowing to me, but with a QC port, I just top off and keep driving.

That said, I have a friend with a base (literally zero options) Bolt. He says he has no regrets skipping the QC port. Rather, he is glad to have saved $750.

It is also pointless to pay for the L3 port if there is no useful network.
Useful of course depends on L3 availability and customer requirements.

SageBrush said:
Absolutely. And you have to consider the availability over the duration of time for which you drive the car. If you lease, maybe today's network is a good baseline. If you buy and intend to drive it for 8-10 (or more!) years, then you have to be a lot more forward-looking.

I hope to drive my Bolt for 10 years. I am cautiously optimistic that the CCS network will grow considerably within that timeframe. And I have good reason - NYS has put aside budget money to install CCS along the Thruway by the end of 2018. Plus Electrify America (VW) has identified I-87 and I-90 as major routes for their first round of funding, which ends June 30, 2019.

LeftieBiker said:
NYS has put aside budget money to install CCS along the Thruway by the end of 2018.

Hopefully you mean combo stations, with both QC types?

Yes, exactly. Both CHAdeMO and CCS. They have budget to put at least one (dual-standard) charger at each Service Plaza along the entire length.

Quick/Fast Charge port on a car is future proofing. It also increases the resale value of the car. And, as the battery degrades over time, it allows the car to be more viable.

Yea same in 2011 when I bought my LEAF without an L3 port.
Everyone said I was crazy dumb. Never needed it and never really had an opportunity. Saved me $1,000.
By all means get L3 if you have the need and the facility to actually use it.

More range goes both ways. For some L3 will be needed more and for others the added range eliminates the need for L3.

If you are a 2+ vehicle household and your other vehicle is a gasser, plug-in hybrid, or BEV with L3 capabilities, there’s a good chance you won’t need a quick charge port on a new Leaf.

Evoforce said:
It also increases the resale value of the car. And, as the battery degrades over time, it allows the car to be more viable.
Yes, on the 1st but probably not by enough to recoup the cost when selling. Agree on the latter.
SageBrush said:
Agree.
iPlug said:
If you are a 2+ vehicle household and your other vehicle is a gasser, plug-in hybrid, or BEV with L3 capabilities, there’s a good chance you won’t need a quick charge port on a new Leaf.
Agree. When in the market for a used '13 Leaf, I intentionally didn't want to pay $1K to $1.5K extra for a car w/the quick charge + LED headlight package. I already lived with it on a leased '13 Leaf for 2 years. I used the CHAdeMO inlet about 16 times.

webb14leafs said:

QC plus what?

because it does include other things besides the port. :)

DaveinOlyWA said:
webb14leafs said:

QC plus what?

According to Nissan, it also includes a 240V portable charge cable. Woo hoo.

NissanUSA said:
Charge Package
$1,590 [*]

This package includes:
Portable charge cable (120 V/240 V)
Quick Charge Port [*]

GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
webb14leafs said:

QC plus what?

According to Nissan, it also includes a 240V portable charge cable. Woo hoo.

NissanUSA said:
Charge Package
$1,590 [*]

This package includes:
Portable charge cable (120 V/240 V)
Quick Charge Port [*]

I watched a video about this and it's just an adapter that fits over the standard charge cable plug - still a good thing and I'm surprised this isn't standard for everyone anyway.

Back