webb14leafs
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:43 am
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2017

Extra $1,600 for Quick Charge Port

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:18 am

Nissan recently released the configuration pricing for the 2018 Leaf, and unfortunately the QC port is not a stock option. To me this seems ridiculous and the $1,600 it takes to get the QC port is even more ridiculous. Why increase the range if you don't make QC a standard item?

The true cost difference btwn the Leaf and Bolt/M3 just reduced by $1,600.

I love my Leaf, but this is not cool.

https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/2018-leaf/configure/

User avatar
jlv
Posts: 860
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Extra $1,600 for Quick Charge Port

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:28 am

QC is only an option on the S. It's included in the SV and SL.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17) 33K miTesla S 75D (3/17) 27K mi
3 reservation canceled; X on order.

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1903
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Extra $1,600 for Quick Charge Port

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:02 am

webb14leafs wrote:Nissan recently released the configuration pricing for the 2018 Leaf, and unfortunately the QC port is not a stock option. To me this seems ridiculous and the $1,600 it takes to get the QC port is even more ridiculous. Why increase the range if you don't make QC a standard item?

The true cost difference btwn the Leaf and Bolt/M3 just reduced by $1,600.

I love my Leaf, but this is not cool.

https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/2018-leaf/configure/


It's an option on the Bolt too, but "only" $750 extra. It's not standard on either trim of the Bolt.

I was surprised at the cost too. Especially when the SV is only $2500 more than the S and includes the port and more. I suspect no ssan will sell very few S+Charge Package at these prices.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

webb14leafs
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:43 am
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2017

Re: Extra $1,600 for Quick Charge Port

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:11 am

GetOffYourGas wrote:
webb14leafs wrote:Nissan recently released the configuration pricing for the 2018 Leaf, and unfortunately the QC port is not a stock option. To me this seems ridiculous and the $1,600 it takes to get the QC port is even more ridiculous. Why increase the range if you don't make QC a standard item?

The true cost difference btwn the Leaf and Bolt/M3 just reduced by $1,600.

I love my Leaf, but this is not cool.

https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/2018-leaf/configure/


It's an option on the Bolt too, but "only" $750 extra. It's not standard on either trim of the Bolt.

I was surprised at the cost too. Especially when the SV is only $2500 more than the S and includes the port and more. I suspect no ssan will sell very few S+Charge Package at these prices.


I didn't realize QC wasn't standard on the Bolt. Just seems pointless to NOT have QC on a car with high range.

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1903
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Extra $1,600 for Quick Charge Port

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 am

webb14leafs wrote:Just seems pointless to NOT have QC on a car with high range.


Yeah, it kinda is. I bought the Bolt so I can travel with it. Without the QC port, it's just another local car, with a longer leash. A 119-mile radius isn't mind blowing to me, but with a QC port, I just top off and keep driving.

That said, I have a friend with a base (literally zero options) Bolt. He says he has no regrets skipping the QC port. Rather, he is glad to have saved $750.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

SageBrush
Posts: 2788
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Extra $1,600 for Quick Charge Port

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:34 am

It is also pointless to pay for the L3 port if there is no useful network.
Useful of course depends on L3 availability and customer requirements.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1903
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Extra $1,600 for Quick Charge Port

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:09 pm

SageBrush wrote:It is also pointless to pay for the L3 port if there is no useful network.
Useful of course depends on L3 availability and customer requirements.

Absolutely. And you have to consider the availability over the duration of time for which you drive the car. If you lease, maybe today's network is a good baseline. If you buy and intend to drive it for 8-10 (or more!) years, then you have to be a lot more forward-looking.

I hope to drive my Bolt for 10 years. I am cautiously optimistic that the CCS network will grow considerably within that timeframe. And I have good reason - NYS has put aside budget money to install CCS along the Thruway by the end of 2018. Plus Electrify America (VW) has identified I-87 and I-90 as major routes for their first round of funding, which ends June 30, 2019.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9362
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Extra $1,600 for Quick Charge Port

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:57 pm

NYS has put aside budget money to install CCS along the Thruway by the end of 2018.


Hopefully you mean combo stations, with both QC types?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1903
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Extra $1,600 for Quick Charge Port

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:16 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
NYS has put aside budget money to install CCS along the Thruway by the end of 2018.


Hopefully you mean combo stations, with both QC types?


Yes, exactly. Both CHAdeMO and CCS. They have budget to put at least one (dual-standard) charger at each Service Plaza along the entire length.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

Evoforce
Posts: 827
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:58 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015
Location: Fountain Hills Arizona

Re: Extra $1,600 for Quick Charge Port

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:10 pm

Quick/Fast Charge port on a car is future proofing. It also increases the resale value of the car. And, as the battery degrades over time, it allows the car to be more viable.
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”