Thule or Yakima roof rack

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerk

I know, roof rack kills EV's range... I won't ever be doing long trips requiring a long range to get the water anyways...

But just wondering what my options are to carry a 17' sea kayak? besides taking the van....

I currently have Thule J rack with square bars... I think at the very least... I might as well invest in aero bars since I have to get new feet regardless...

Also, any reasons to switch over to Yakima?

i'd start with the actual mounts for the kayak and work backwards. If you already have a Thule mounting system that you plan to use I'd go with Thule. If you're going to buy a rack and mount, find the mounts you like best and then buy the rack for it.

Around here, I see more rusted out Thule crossbars than Yakima but both will rust eventually. I like to take the racks off when not in use so ease of mounting/un-mounting from the car would also be a consideration.

I use all Yakima personally but that is just because I can find so much of it used. I doubt there is any measurable difference in the aerodynamics of the bars.

So, I found a set of Thule Feet, Bars and a bunch of accessories on kijiji for a good price...

All I would need the fit kit for the 2018 Leaf,... Wondering, has anyone tried the fit kit for the older leafs (KIT1633) on the 2018?

Thule hasn't officially released which fit kit fits the 2018 yet, probably due to this bullet point...

Your vehicle is new to the market and we are working on a solution. Please check back in 4-6 weeks as we may have an update at that time.Your vehicle is new to the market and we are working on a solution. Please check back in 4-6 weeks as we may have an update at that time.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has tried this yet :)

Small update,

Still waiting on Thule support, the only thing they told me is that its still in fitment trials...

its been close to a month, starting to think about dumping my thule stuff and going yakima...

Well,

I think the final nail was driven into the coffin... It's been nice Thule... But I think I'm switching to Yakima, where they seem to care about customers and not numbers... roof line changes my ass... :x

Unfortunately we still do not have a current fit for this vehicle we are waiting to see if the 2019 roof line changes before we develop a new fit for the 2018
Best Wishes,
Thule Customer Service

Back