Please Report 2018 - 2020 Leaf Defects Here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeftieBiker

Staff member
We need to get a sense of how the 2018+ Leaf is doing, defect-wise. In order to help us try to ascertain which defects are design issues and which are manufacturing problems, please give the following info for your Leaf if it has a problem:

* Model.

* Build month (found on the driver's side door jamb, on a sticker giving the month and year of manufacture). Country of manufacture if not United States.

* The exact nature of the problem, and whether or not it has been satisfactorily resolved by your dealer or by Nissan. If not, please explain what was tried.

* LeafSpy Pro readings if possible, especially SOH, AH and Hx. These will help to determine if there are battery issues with the 40kwh battery packs similar to or different from the 30kwh packs. We should be seeing a separate 40kwh pack topic soon, although I don't intend to start it.

Thanks! Info like this can be very valuable in the months and even years to come.

2018 SL, the automatic emergency brake warning light kept turning on. Took it into the dealership, and they are waiting on a part. They said it was on back order due to this being a common issue, so I'd be interested to see if anyone else is in the same boat.

It sounded like the forward facing radar (in the front bumper) shorted out due to moisture getting in, but I might not have all of the info yet.

I'll edit this post with any updates, hopefully it won't take too long to get the part...

Not seen this mentioned anywhere else, but I picked up my new Leaf Tekna on Friday and the front driver's side quarterlight (small triangular window at front) is not fitted properly. I noticed a lot more wind noise when driving , then on inspection found I could actually fit touch finger to finger around the side of the window.
Nissan will obviously fix, but I have to wait for Warranty repair and official glazer to make appointment. In the meantime I have tape all round the window on a brand new car...

I can't find a sticker stating month/ year of manufacture (there is a black sticker saying 'e9*2007/46*6537 if that means anything to anyone...)

I experienced the same malfunction warning on my 2018 Nissan Leaf that I got a month ago while driving yesterday. I was going to bring it into the dealer but it went away this afternoon. I have a feeling it will be back. Did the other person experiencing this get it fixed yet ?

aeroevan said:
2018 SL, the automatic emergency brake warning light kept turning on. Took it into the dealership, and they are waiting on a part. They said it was on back order due to this being a common issue, so I'd be interested to see if anyone else is in the same boat.

It sounded like the forward facing radar (in the front bumper) shorted out due to moisture getting in, but I might not have all of the info yet.
I got the *Off yellow symbol on the dash the 2nd day I had the car. It then went away.

2 days later, today, I got a big warning on the dash and now a yellow triangle + the *Off w/ 2 cars symbol.

Really hate the idea of bringing it back to the dealer already.

doolgirl2 said:
I experienced the same malfunction warning on my 2018 Nissan Leaf that I got a month ago while driving yesterday. I was going to bring it into the dealer but it went away this afternoon. I have a feeling it will be back. Did the other person experiencing this get it fixed yet ?

My car is still waiting on the part...

Thanks for the reply aeroevan! That's crazy that it's been a month and you are STILL waiting on the part!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the malfunction warning doesn't come back!

My cruise control is malfunctioning. I have a feeling it's related to the Forward Emergency Braking issue.

It was working the day after I picked it up then 2 days after that it stopped working when the yellow triangle appeared.

I hear a tiny rattle in the dash already.

LeftieBiker said:
How is the cruise control malfunctioning?
When you push the button, the symbol on the dash flashes on/off in a second. I would hit the set button and it would sometimes set it but not show it being on from the dash which was a little scary because I thought it was off at the time.

It was working fine a few days ago.

doolgirl2 said:
Thanks for the reply aeroevan! That's crazy that it's been a month and you are STILL waiting on the part!

As an update, the part came in yesterday (took ~30 days...) and they finished replacing the part today. I still have to pick it up but let's hope there aren't any other issues.

aeroevan said:

I'll edit this post with any updates, hopefully it won't take too long to get the part...

I got it this morning too, and has happened in the past and went away...

I thought it was maybe condensation or something blocking the camera behind the rear view mirror, cause lane assist also didn't work...

Adaptive cruise still works fine though...

aeroevan said:
doolgirl2 said:

As an update, the part came in yesterday (took ~30 days...) and they finished replacing the part today. I still have to pick it up but let's hope there aren't any other issues.
Wow! So you left your car at the dealer for 30 days? Did they give you a loaner?

LeafMuranoDriver said:
aeroevan said:
doolgirl2 said:

Wow! So you left your car at the dealer for 30 days? Did they give you a loaner?

I would be afraid to drive a vehicle that is capable of automatically applying full panic braking without driver action with the system warning light on. This feature (along with lane assist automation) will keep me from buying any new vehicle unless they can be fully disabled. I would be surprised if a dealer would release the car with the system warning present (liability concerns).

The standard protocol in this situation is for the system to default to off. For instance, if your ABS light comes on due to a fault, the the ABS would be disabled. I would expect the same to be true of AEB.

GerryAZ said:
I would be afraid to drive a vehicle that is capable of automatically applying full panic braking without driver action with the system warning light on. This feature (along with lane assist automation) will keep me from buying any new vehicle unless they can be fully disabled. I would be surprised if a dealer would release the car with the system warning present (liability concerns).

I would hope that the feature would be disabled if a fault is detected, but they did give me a loaner to drive while the part was on order for that reason.

Possible Noise from brake system when on e-Pedel, when stop and go.

After car is stopped on e-Pedel, and when I try to go using Gas - Pedel, I hear a click - sound / Noise.

Possible Brake pads trying to release brakes. (Loose pad / Shims?)

This was not there when car was new. Car has 2.5k miles.

I have to check out through dealer.

(2018 Leaf SL - Also car has Electric Hand brake)

Back