riniboo
Delivery Date: 23 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 12345

Love and Hate about our new Leaf 2018

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:34 am

My wife and I have never had a Nissan before and of course this is our first EV. We got the top trim "SL" (Canadian version, not sure it is exactly the same in the States). After driving it for almost 1 month, it's time to express my feeling - there are some mixed feelings about this car. I am pretty sure not everyone agrees, but that's my own opinion.

Love:
    - Very smooth handling, acceleration and comfortable
    - Decent mileage to get around the city
    - Good size trunk space with folding back seats
    - 360 degree bird eye view, front side back camera
    - Comes with Level 2, 240V 30A 6.6 kwh charger, no need to buy charging station. I just ran 8/3 with 40A breaker on 14-50R, easy DIY.
    - Save a lot on money gas, we signed up a plan with Hydro and pay $0.02 CAD kwh (12AM-6AM)
    - Got $14K CAD rebate from government

Very Annoying:
    - Door lock/unlock buttons are not illuminated but mirror control does, WTF
    - When you open the charging lid in the DARK, that little light won't turn on (Similar problem as door buttons!!) It comes on when you plug it in or remove it. HAHAHA... If I am able to plug it in, I don't need the light by then.. So stupid.
    - Day light saving time need to set manually 2 times a year (WHAT?? in 2018 still?) It has a SIM card Carwings telematics system and you cannot connect to the NTP server? Seriously? Okay, Even without telematics, my Honda adjusts the clock automatically.
    - Charging timer "Full charge has priority" issue: Example: My timer is set to 12AM to 6AM (I pay $0.02 CAD only during that time) and I say my battery has 10% left at 8PM, now I plug it in. It starts charging RIGHT AWAY until full regardless of schedule.
    Suggestion on improvement: They need to have 2 options : (1) "Pre-timer for full charge" and (2) "Post-timer for full charge". If the timer cannot charge the battery to full during the period, it will either use the time BEFORE or AFTER based on my preference.
    My Workaround now? Disable the "full charge priority "
    - Glove box has opening on the sides?? I had driven many cars before, this is the FIRST car has openings on sides LOL
    - Nissan Leaf mobile app is so crappy, everyone agrees eh? Indeed I tried to use their REST API using Chrome advanced REST client and I was able to connect to my car successfully returning the JSON (there are tons of articles out there, you just need some I.T. skills, Python for token encryption). The bottle neck is actually you send a request, then you keep POLLING until your car responds. These guys are not IoT MQTT and software expert, they need to learn from Nest, Ecobee and other IoTs. This part is actually VERY disappointed. Furthermore, I wonder if similar hack can be done like Jeep Cherokee back in 2014. Google "Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway" on YouTube, fun to watch but something alarming.

Good to have (even I want to pay, there is no such option):
    - Side mirrors can be a little big bigger
    - No Power seat on passenger
    - No Power trunk (hmm.... maybe not necessary)
    - No Power folding mirrors
    - No spare tires (it includes a bottle of tire puncture sealant Hmmm..)
    - No backup/parking sensor (it has that "motion" sensor, but one beep warning??!!! It's useless)
    - The horn is a joke, so weak just like my kids' toy. my god, I have to upgrade that in summer time.

Money Wasted:
    - Bose system is crap, I was into serious car audio 2 decades ago, I had my JL12W6V3 in my old car. To be fair, I didn't expect Leaf would have a very powerful bass, however I have to say it's disappointed. I do love Bose as a brand personally because I have their bookshelf speakers long time ago and last year I got the SoundTouch 300 as home theater system and the bass is decent, but sorry I really have to say this Nissan subwoofer is garbage. Compare to the other car of mine - Honda (unknown audio brand??) the factory subwoofer beats Nissan hands down. You can actually hear slight distortion on Leaf when you play Russian hip-hop and Romanian club. Oh.. it also took some space of the trunk too. DON'T waste money on this Bose if you are into HipHop and dance music.
Last edited by riniboo on Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Re: Love and Hate about our new Leaf 2018

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:02 pm

Great review and welcome to the forum riniboo!
riniboo wrote:- Save a lot on money gas, we signed up a plan with Hydro and pay $0.02 CAD kwh (12AM-6AM)
- Got $14K CAD rebate from government
That part is especially nice!
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K miles: Apr 14, 2013, 20K miles (55.7Ah): Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah): Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah): Feb 8, 2017, 50K miles (47.2Ah): Dec 7, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

riniboo
Delivery Date: 23 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 12345

Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:29 pm

Thanks. 3 more things I forgot to say adding to my LOVE bucket:

- I really LOVE the B-Mode regenerative braking system. Love love love, both my wife and I never use D-mode. For those who used to drive standard transmission, you will love it. It's like shifting down to 2nd gear without the need to brake. In many cases, I didn't even need to apply brake to turn.
    - e-Pedal is very good for traffic congestion
    - The car looks very cool, I just tinted the glass last week. It looks like a sport car (although I am a bit old for that) :D

jake14mw
Delivery Date: 13 Nov 2017

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:25 pm

Thanks for posting, very informative. It's very dissapointing to hear about the door locks still not being lit. I have had or Gen 1 for four months and still cannot find the door unlock button in the dark to let my son in when I pick him up. I find it INEXCUSABLE that the APP is still that bad for the 2018. How many years have they had to fix that?

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:52 pm

If the charge port light only comes on after the car is plugged in, that is a serious flaw. The light in my 2013 comes on when the port door is opened. It doesn't stay on as long as I'd like, but at least it's functional for most situations.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

ElectricEddy
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506

Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:35 pm

Spare tire lots of threads including this one:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14081&start=30#p323607
The first thing I purchased when I had my 13SL it also fits the 16SL I now drive and should fit the 18 unless they changed the hub size which I doubt.
Ontario is pretty generous with their rebates.
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:53 pm

Nice review, sad to hear so many shortcomings of the Leaf 1.0 or even 1.1 are carried forwarded, the '18 sounds more like a 1.3 :?
No door unlock button light :x
Does it still require setting 2 clocks that are not tied to each other?
My '12 and '13 horn is also a joke, I mean major joke!
Yes the stereos in a Leaf leave lots to be desired, luckily for me I hardly turn it on as I enjoy the silence :)
Have they managed to fix the steering wheel heater thats HOT then COLD? That issue has also been around since Leaf 1.0
Does the trunk area still have those stupid shock towers that severely protrude towards the middle? Worst part is they could be seriously cut back, the shocks don't actually come out as far as the plastic would indicate :x
Major bug if it's true about the charge port light, agree that no need to turn on after you plug in or unplug, should turn on when you open the charge port and stay on for at least 5 min, like both my Leafs do!
Oh, does it still require you to double shift EVERYTIME you turn off the car to get it back in B mode and what about the NAV, do you still have to acknowledge it EVERYTIME you start up the car?
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:36 pm

I looked at a 2018 Leaf in person recently. The shock tower enclosures are still there, but are now smaller. The cargo area is larger, but not a lot larger.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:23 pm

Your charge door light is defective. Mine works exactly as it should

Can't remember the last time I heard about an audiophile who was happy with OEM stereo equipment

DST not standard everywhere so better to have option to set or not set.

Priority charging setting; the "why" is almost as easy as the process to say "not for me". Should we have more options? Oh course we should! more options for EVERYTHING!

Dont understand the glove box comment although I as surprised at how deep mine is... Not sure if that is a good thing. I have actually had to work hard to reach small items in the back of the box...

E-pedal should be REQUIRED on every EV. It is a Godsend!

Although rarely used, I would love a "Hatch popper" button on the dash
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 5775 miles, 488 GIDs, 38 kwh 113.37 Ahr available, SOH 98.21, Hx 115.75
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OrientExpress
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331

Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:57 am

Glad you are enjoying your new LEAF.

here are some tips for some of your aggravations.

1. The horn on the NA LEAFs is specified as the JDM City horn which also is used on the Nissan Clown in Japan. There are several DIYs out there on how to upgrade it to a full throated horn. I prefer the 110db Hella Supertone horns that are pretty much PnP. They are about $50 on amazon.

2. The little doors inside the glove box are to facilitate changing the cabin airfilter in the HVAC stack in the center of the dash.

3. Spare tires are pretty much an artifact of the 20th century, but there are a few DIYs on adding a spare under the rear cargo area.

4. Your charging problem may be that you simply do not have the timer programmed correctly. Each timing session has to be activated in the set up menu.

I personally don't like the lack of height adjustment in the passenger seat, but that is a Nissan thing across all models not just the LEAF.

The lack of lighted buttons on the driver window control is also a thing across most economy models not just the LEAF.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”