alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Re: Love and Hate about our new Leaf 2018

Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:13 am

With respect to the charge port light, I think if you first pop open the port door and then use the FOB to lock the car doors, the light goes off.

Try reversing that order - lock the doors with the FOB first, then use the FOB to open the charge port door and see if the light stays on.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

riniboo
Delivery Date: 23 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 12345

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:20 am

Sorry guys.. regarding to the charging port light. I tried it again last night using the normal procedure, the light DID light up. However, I swear to God, it did happen to me once (I don't know what is the steps to reproduce it) that I had to find the charging port in the dark!! Maybe my bad my bad....

LeaferSutherland
Delivery Date: 22 Feb 2018

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:02 am

Agree with many of your observations. Here’s my abbreviated list-

Love- agree with what you love except we don’t really use the “b” mode. I like coasting, feels like good coasting will save more energy than regen gives back. I could be wrong on this.

Also on the love it side- my wife and I just love the electric vehicle. Not sure how else to put this. Almost intangible but basically my truck that I used to love now feels like a Model T or some other outdated mode of transportation. And this is true of any ICE we’ve ridden in since owning this car which is our first EV. Press accelerator and it just “goes” and it’s just so precise. When I drive my truck now I sometimes have odd jack rabbit starts because I get used to pressing pedal and having something happen. Now I think I press it and the slight delay makes me think I didn’t press it far enough so I keep pressing harder. Leaf is just so much smoother, predictable and responsive to drive than anything else I’ve driven or ridden in.

Hates- our main complaints are same - paid extra for Bose because had that in our old Altima and it was really nice for a factory system. Thought it would be as good or better as that 14 year old system. Nope! I suspect it’s because they’re trying to save energy. I also can’t find the door locks in the dark and our app doesn’t work most of the time which has been our biggest disappointment.

On charging, I think the timer charge is supposed to work as you described. Mine also has same problem you are having and I just haven’t taken the time to dig into it to solve it. I think what’s happening is that there is a charge timer and then there is also a “charge now” mode that is on by default so you can program the timer all you want but when you get out and go to plug it in you see that listed but also on screen it says “charge now” so I think that over rides the timer. Which is stupid because why would I set a timer if I wanted it to charge as soon as I plugged in? I did set up the preference where charge timer only works when at home and not away so you don’t have to worry that it won’t charge at a remote location when you plug it in because it’s still waiting for the timer. Wondering if that is it? Not sure if it’s using my exact gps location for my garage to determine if I’m “home” or if it’s using my address which it has programmed. If it’s address it might think I’m not home because my address on a map doesn’t correspond well to where I actually live with some digital maps. Other more simple and I think likely explaination is that we have to somehow turn off the “charge now” mode before plugging in. I do see a button on left side dash that says something about not charging or stop charging. Not sure what that is used or needed for yet.

Lastly, for anyone reading this you could see all the complaints and get the very wrong impression that we don’t love this car overall. Nothing could be further from truth! Coincidentally while typing this my wife just said out of the blue- “I love this car, it’s frigging awesome!” Just bringing up areas that could improve.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:18 am

I coast a lot too. In fact I was coasting down the hill from North Bend on Highway 18 up to around 80 mph and shifting back to B mode (I am normally in E Pedal) to slow to 65ish then repeat. I was regenning at 167 amps (60 KW!!)
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

daw37
Delivery Date: 24 Dec 2017
Leaf Number: 307785

Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:31 am

About a month and a half into my '18 SV. I like it for the most part. (had a 2011 and 2016 before.)

Love:
-Adaptive cruise control
-blind spot warning
-cross traffic warning in reverse (only experienced it once so far)
-Stronger B mode
-improved acceleration

Hate:
-The 4 blind spots on the corners. (The A pilar can hide an entire car at an intersection. I've gotten use to looking around it in my previous LEAFs, but it can be dangerous. I heard Nissan planned to change it, but I guess in the rush to get a Gen 2 out the door, that improvement got dropped.
-The center console has sides that flare out reducing knee room, and contact my knee at the top edge while driving. They serve no purpose unless it is for crash protection. I wish I could take it out. My '11 & '16 were more comfortable. I didn't notice it in my test drive, but I guess I'd have got the car anyway.

Other comments:
I have found that lane keeping mode has to be watched very closely. It does some crazy things sometimes. Works ok under perfect conditions, but not so good when lane markings are weak, or when the right line follows an exit. Also, It kind of drifts back and forth in the lane. Don't rely on it, but ok as a backup if you are tired or distracted.

My charge port light comes on when I open the lid (I usually open from the dash button). You might check with the dealer on that.

ePedal is interesting, but I probably won't use it much except in stop 'n go traffic as mentioned. (be ready to use the brake in quick stop situations though)

I've had the same experience with priority to full charge. Would rather have the old timer where you just turn off the stop time. (I prefer to charge after midnight)

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:50 am

daw37 wrote:About a month and a half into my '18 SV. I like it for the most part. (had a 2011 and 2016 before.)

Love:
-Adaptive cruise control
-blind spot warning
-cross traffic warning in reverse (only experienced it once so far)
-Stronger B mode
-improved acceleration

Hate:
-The 4 blind spots on the corners. (The A pilar can hide an entire car at an intersection. I've gotten use to looking around it in my previous LEAFs, but it can be dangerous. I heard Nissan planned to change it, but I guess in the rush to get a Gen 2 out the door, that improvement got dropped.
-The center console has sides that flare out reducing knee room, and contact my knee at the top edge while driving. They serve no purpose unless it is for crash protection. I wish I could take it out. My '11 & '16 were more comfortable. I didn't notice it in my test drive, but I guess I'd have got the car anyway.

Other comments:
I have found that lane keeping mode has to be watched very closely. It does some crazy things sometimes. Works ok under perfect conditions, but not so good when lane markings are weak, or when the right line follows an exit. Also, It kind of drifts back and forth in the lane. Don't rely on it, but ok as a backup if you are tired or distracted.

My charge port light comes on when I open the lid (I usually open from the dash button). You might check with the dealer on that.

ePedal is interesting, but I probably won't use it much except in stop 'n go traffic as mentioned. (be ready to use the brake in quick stop situations though)

I've had the same experience with priority to full charge. Would rather have the old timer where you just turn off the stop time. (I prefer to charge after midnight)

sooooo.... you like the stronger regen in B mode AND have already put E Pedal in the drawer?
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:42 pm

I like coasting, feels like good coasting will save more energy than regen gives back. I could be wrong on this.

If circumstances allow it safely, coasting is always much more efficient than regen.

About the Bose stereo: did the people who dislike it adjust the sound through the menu? It sounds very mediocre off the lot, but much better when adjusted for personal tastes.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:16 pm

The problem I see with the Bose, is the ridiculously huge amplifier usurping the floor of the cargo area.
How is it in practice?
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:25 pm

When I installed my spare tire the subwoofer ended up slightly below the rest of the false floor level, so no problem for me.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeaferSutherland
Delivery Date: 22 Feb 2018

Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:40 pm

Nubo wrote:The problem I see with the Bose, is the ridiculously huge amplifier usurping the floor of the cargo area.
How is it in practice?

Ours came with a storage organizer tub thing that we sort of half filled with things we just keep in the car so the top of that sits above the audio stuff. Haven’t really noticed it at all.

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”