Charge Timer confusion - help requested!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigbyfab4

Hey everyone - I just traded my 2014 Volt for a 2018 Leaf (SL tech pkg), and I could use a hand.

The manual mentions in two spots setting the charge timer with just an end time, and it would determine the appropriate start time. My issue is that I cannot figure out how to remove the start time from the charge timer. Thanks for any tips you can offer!

-When only the charging timer end time is set, the system automatically deter- mines when to begin charging.
-Set only the Charging Timer End time when charging in cold weather. The ve- hicle automatically determines when to start charging to fully charge the Li-ion battery, even if the Li-ion battery warmer (if so equipped) operates. Charging ends before the set End time if the Li-ion battery is fully charged.

Living in Maine, it seems like I should figure this out before winter!

As an interesting side note, inventory of the SL/tech is very limited up here so far - I wouldn’t be surprised if mine were the first delivered in the state! There are plenty of SV tech + cold weather around though.

Thanks again!

If it is like my 2015, go into the timer settings and select Timer 1. Select "set start time" and then touch "clear". You should see --:--. Next select "set end time" and set your desired ending time. Now save Timer 1 and select Timer 2. Repeat the same process to clear start time and set end time of Timer 2. Next, assign days for Timer 1 and/or Timer 2 to be active and then save the settings.

I believe it is a leftover from the previous year model that they forgot to cleanup in the manual. There is no way to set only the end timer like it used to be. The only option you can play with is the full charge priority.

Rigbyfab4 said:
Hey everyone - I just traded my 2014 Volt for a 2018 Leaf (SL tech pkg), and I could use a hand.

The manual mentions in two spots setting the charge timer with just an end time, and it would determine the appropriate start time. My issue is that I cannot figure out how to remove the start time from the charge timer. Thanks for any tips you can offer!

-When only the charging timer end time is set, the system automatically deter- mines when to begin charging.
-Set only the Charging Timer End time when charging in cold weather. The ve- hicle automatically determines when to start charging to fully charge the Li-ion battery, even if the Li-ion battery warmer (if so equipped) operates. Charging ends before the set End time if the Li-ion battery is fully charged.

Living in Maine, it seems like I should figure this out before winter!

As an interesting side note, inventory of the SL/tech is very limited up here so far - I wouldn’t be surprised if mine were the first delivered in the state! There are plenty of SV tech + cold weather around though.

Thanks again!

Although you can't clear the start time on the 2018, you can set the start time close to the end time - within 1 or 2 hours - and select full charge has priority. The car "should" calculate how much time it needs to be 100% by the end time and start as early as it needs to.

I say "should" because lately mine has been starting the charge early - using the 3.6kW charge time rather than the 6.6kW available. I'm not sure if I changed a setting somewhere but it used to work great. If anyone has any hints how to change it back to calculating with the 6.6kW time, that would be much appreciated! The predicted 6.6kW charge time and actual charge time match very closely so it's not a power supply issue. I've also let the timer start the charge early and let it go for 30 minutes hoping it would "see" the faster charge and re-calibrate but no luck there either.

Back