booper
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:33 am
Delivery Date: 29 Jun 2013
Location: Seattle, WA

2018 Leaf - preferred trim and options

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:04 pm

Been recently considering a 2018 Leaf, and it seems to me the best two options are either:

a) Go with an S or SV with all-weather package (if needed).

or

b) If you want the Tech Package/Pro Pilot, might as well go all the way with an SL, as an SV with tech package is so close in price, that you might as well get the SL with Bose stereo, All-around cam, and Leather seats.

Am I missing something here?

As an aside, I'm also wondering how current 2018 users are finding the ProPilot/Safety features to be working.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9076
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: 2018 Leaf - preferred trim and options

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:19 pm

This is close to being a duplicate topic, but it won't be the first or last. Yes, a loaded SV is very close in price to an SL with Pro Pilot and what used to be Premium Package. I leased an SL only because I need those parking cameras. The (big for some of us) downside is that the SL only comes with a leather interior, and I hate leather. There is a topic on the downsides of Pro Pilot. I or someone else will link it later.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Evoforce
Posts: 820
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:58 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015
Location: Fountain Hills Arizona

Re: 2018 Leaf - preferred trim and options

Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:50 am

Or... wait for the 2019 Leaf which should be a much better/ longer lasting/ less depreciating car.
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

WetEV
Posts: 2198
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: 2018 Leaf - preferred trim and options

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:31 am

Evoforce wrote:Or... wait for the 2019 Leaf which should be a much better/ longer lasting/ less depreciating car.


Or the 2021, with an even larger and longer lasting battery. :lol:

I would bet on high depreciation for any EV, however, as new technology and many new choices as new cars will outshine the older cars. And the tax credits make for instant depreciation.

Lease, if you want to be protected from this. Or plan on owning longer.

If you own longer, expect to see cars cheaper than yours with twice the battery size and even more. They might be hard to resist.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

booper
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:33 am
Delivery Date: 29 Jun 2013
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: 2018 Leaf - preferred trim and options

Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:32 am

Evoforce wrote:Or... wait for the 2019 Leaf which should be a much better/ longer lasting/ less depreciating car.


Unfortunately my 2015 SV was recently totaled, so I need to replace it with something. Could go with a used 2016 SV in the $15k range, or jump in to a 2018.

Evoforce
Posts: 820
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:58 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015
Location: Fountain Hills Arizona

Re: 2018 Leaf - preferred trim and options

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:32 am

WetEV wrote:
Evoforce wrote:Or... wait for the 2019 Leaf which should be a much better/ longer lasting/ less depreciating car.


Or the 2021, with an even larger and longer lasting battery. :lol:

I would bet on high depreciation for any EV, however, as new technology and many new choices as new cars will outshine the older cars. And the tax credits make for instant depreciation.

Lease, if you want to be protected from this. Or plan on owning longer.

If you own longer, expect to see cars cheaper than yours with twice the battery size and even more. They might be hard to resist.


The Leaf's depreciation has a lot to do with its poor battery reputation and lack of longevity. I have a great hope that Nissan will finally fix this Achilles Heel with the 2019 Model Leaf.

I had really had hoped that the 2018 would have finally implemented liquid TMS but alas, no such story. I am not one that generally would agree to leasing a car, but with the Leaf up to this point, yes, but only if they still insist on buying a Leaf as their only option.

Why buy a car with the worst monetary and battery degradation in the industry, once you become aware of it? If the 2018 had the liquid TMS as an option, that would have been the one to pick. As it is, the most important option is missing!
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13085
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: 2018 Leaf - preferred trim and options

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:43 am

Evoforce wrote:Or... wait for the 2019 Leaf which should be a much better/ longer lasting/ less depreciating car.


Two parts;

#1; There is ALWAYS something better a year down the road. EVs are still maturing and have a long way to go.

#2; There is no such thing as a car that less depreciating. Tesla? Hardly. My friend just got a S85 with a LOT of features. for $51K. Supposedly the car was 110K new. Car has 41,000 miles on it so just broken in really. That is a LOT of money for a 4 year time period.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WetEV
Posts: 2198
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: 2018 Leaf - preferred trim and options

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:25 am

Evoforce wrote:
WetEV wrote:
Evoforce wrote:Or... wait for the 2019 Leaf which should be a much better/ longer lasting/ less depreciating car.


Or the 2021, with an even larger and longer lasting battery. :lol:

I would bet on high depreciation for any EV, however, as new technology and many new choices as new cars will outshine the older cars. And the tax credits make for instant depreciation.

Lease, if you want to be protected from this. Or plan on owning longer.

If you own longer, expect to see cars cheaper than yours with twice the battery size and even more. They might be hard to resist.


The Leaf's depreciation has a lot to do with its poor battery reputation and lack of longevity.


For the 2011 and 2012, sure. In Arizona, perhaps.

Evoforce wrote:I had really had hoped that the 2018 would have finally implemented liquid TMS but alas, no such story. I am not one that generally would agree to leasing a car, but with the Leaf up to this point, yes, but only if they still insist on buying a Leaf as their only option.


Liquid TMS would have very little impact on my battery life. Sure, there have been a few hours where a TMS might have helped, on long days with multiple QCs. Battery hit 101F Friday, and cooled to 96F an hour later. If the TMS came on at 100F, I would have had lower battery temperatures. Very slightly, for a short amount of time.

TMS has near zero value to me, at best. With the increased risk of battery fires due to liquid in the battery pack, I'd rather not have a TMS. With the passively cooled battery perhaps staying at lower average temperature in my climate, I might have worse battery life, higher energy usage as well as a higher cost car.

Evoforce wrote:Why buy a car with the worst monetary and battery degradation in the industry, once you become aware of it?


I would't buy a new 2012 today. So?

Evoforce wrote:If the 2018 had the liquid TMS as an option, that would have been the one to pick. As it is, the most important option is missing!


Liquid TMS is a negative value option for me. I'd pay money to avoid it. Probably a wash for most of the USA. Definitely what AZ buyers would want. Please don't try to force your choices on me.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

johnlocke
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:47 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 300582

Re: 2018 Leaf - preferred trim and options

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:30 pm

Right now the only sensible way to buy a Leaf is to lease it instead and then after the lease is up negotiate a buy-out. That way, you get the option of walking away if the car has battery problems or doesn't suit your needs. If you do buy it out at the end of the lease, the odds are that you'll be able to negotiate a new lower price than the Residual in the lease. The dealer usually ends up sending Leafs to auction anyway so they will often cut you a deal to keep the car rather then go through the hassle of auction and getting only the wholesale value anyway.
2016 SV, New battery at 45K mi.
Jamul, CA
San Diego East County

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9076
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: 2018 Leaf - preferred trim and options

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:13 pm

johnlocke wrote:Right now the only sensible way to buy a Leaf is to lease it instead and then after the lease is up negotiate a buy-out. That way, you get the option of walking away if the car has battery problems or doesn't suit your needs. If you do buy it out at the end of the lease, the odds are that you'll be able to negotiate a new lower price than the Residual in the lease. The dealer usually ends up sending Leafs to auction anyway so they will often cut you a deal to keep the car rather then go through the hassle of auction and getting only the wholesale value anyway.


Yes, just so.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”