The Cold Weather is Here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrvous

Hi all,

2018 Leaf S owner here and for the first time since I've owned the car overnight lows will dip to about 14F for us here in NJ.

From what I have read in the owner's manual, the car should be left plugged in if temps are expected to hit -4F and not to leave the car in temps below -13F for extended periods.

Outside of that, I can't find in the manual any reason car needs to be plugged in. The only reason I can think of is if I want to use one of the climate timers to heat the car in the morning or something.

Given an overnight low of 14F, is if there is any benefit to leaving the car plugged in overnight? Is it OK to leave unplugged as long as temps don't get to -4F? Car is parked outside.

Thanks!

It used to be that leaving a Leaf plugged in but not charging would drain the 12 volt battery over 24-48 hours. They seem to have solved that Gen I problem in 2014, but we don't yet know for certain that the 2018 is immune.

LeftieBiker said:
It used to be that leaving a Leaf plugged in but not charging would drain the 12 volt battery over 24-48 hours. They seem to have solved that Gen I problem in 2014, but we don't yet know for certain that the 2018 is immune.

Good to know. I'll have to remember to unplug mine when it's done charging.

From page 5-141 of the 2018 Owner's Manual:

NOTE:
• Connect the charger to the vehicle and place the power switch in the OFF position when parking the vehicle if temperatures may go below -4°F (-20°C). This provides external power to the Li- ion battery warmer (if so equipped) when it operates and does not dis- charge the Li-ion battery. Vehicle driving range is reduced if the Li-ion battery warmer (if so equipped) operates (Li-ion battery temperature approximately -4°F (-20°C) or colder) while driving the vehicle. You may need to charge the Li- ion battery sooner than in warmer temperatures.

How do you know if you have the optional Li-ion battery Warmer?

nrvous said:
From page 5-141 of the 2018 Owner's Manual:

NOTE:
• Connect the charger to the vehicle and place the power switch in the OFF position when parking the vehicle if temperatures may go below -4°F (-20°C). This provides external power to the Li- ion battery warmer (if so equipped) when it operates and does not dis- charge the Li-ion battery. Vehicle driving range is reduced if the Li-ion battery warmer (if so equipped) operates (Li-ion battery temperature approximately -4°F (-20°C) or colder) while driving the vehicle. You may need to charge the Li- ion battery sooner than in warmer temperatures.

How do you know if you have the optional Li-ion battery Warmer?
AFAIK all N. American Leafs have the heater, the only Leafs where it was an option was '11. Now other areas it may be an option but not in N. America.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Too bad there isn't some definitive way to know. I guess if it ever gets to -4F here and the car is plugged in, I can look at my EVSEs reporting capability to see if it supplied power to the car during that time.

nrvous said:
Thanks, I appreciate it. Too bad there isn't some definitive way to know. I guess if it ever gets to -4F here and the car is plugged in, I can look at my EVSEs reporting capability to see if it supplied power to the car during that time.
Good idea. I'll probably be looking into that too as my '12SL will be sitting outside unused this winter in MN, where it can get -20F :(
I wanted to garage it but not enough room :oops:
We're not going to need it this winter so I'll be dropping the insurance. I don't think I'm going to leave it plugged in all the time but rather when in the single digits or below(F) I'll just plug it in a couple times/week and see how low the battery shows. Not ideal but just no garage space :(
If it truly draws 300w continuously in sub-zero temps, I'm guessing it could cost a bit in electricity to store it outside. I wonder if it's not driven if it really matters, I mean would the battery freeze? I have other Li batteries such as in a power drill that can sit outside in sub-zero temps and I haven't had an issue with those freezing......of course I wouldn't want to permanently damage the battery and if a bit of electricity would stop that, it would be a small price to pay.

You definitely don't want the battery to freeze but there should be plenty of warning that the battery warmer is draining the pack. The warmer generally runs when the pack temp (not the ambient temp) gets down to high single digits Fahrenheit.

macgeng said:
Yes, and the heater is not hot or strong enough for 35f or colder. What a shame.

Is this an issue for 2018? Because it's certainly not the case for earlier model years.

Don't see any issues with my 2018 and so far it's been down to 20F here. Granted I barely run the heat- it's usually set to 60F . I mostly rely on heated seats and steering wheel on top of that

LeftieBiker said:
You definitely don't want the battery to freeze but there should be plenty of warning that the battery warmer is draining the pack. The warmer generally runs when the pack temp (not the ambient temp) gets down to high single digits Fahrenheit.

Thanks. Does this mean the battery warmer could theoretically run the pack down to 0% charge assuming it's cold enough and the car is left unplugged long enough?

nrvous said:
LeftieBiker said:

Thanks. Does this mean the battery warmer could theoretically run the pack down to 0% charge assuming it's cold enough and the car is left unplugged long enough?

No. The warmer shuts off at something like...15%...? Then if the pack gets too cold to operate it "hibernates" - shuts down until revived in warmer temps.

LeftieBiker said:
nrvous said:
LeftieBiker said:

No. The warmer shuts off at something like...15%...? Then if the pack gets too cold to operate it "hibernates" - shuts down until revived in warmer temps.

Got it and very interesting. Thanks!

macgeng said:
Maybe mine has issues. No longer my problem though. Just traded it in after 1200 miles.
What led you to trading it in for something else? Did you get a good trade value? Will you still be able to claim the federal tax credit since it can only go to the original owner?

Back