User avatar
IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789
Location: Gunnison, CO, USA

Re: E-Pedal Verses B Mode

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:38 pm

Here's one for you. Many, if not most new automatic cars and trucks automatically downshift when going down hills. Yet the brake lights do not light up when this happens.

My thoughts is that B mode is for going down steep hills, like when you downshift for engine braking. And E-Pedal is for anything other than going down hills. I would think following a Leaf going down a hill with it's brake lights on constantly from using the E-Pedal would be confusing.
2013 SL SOLD :cry:
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid CURRENT

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9837
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: E-Pedal Verses B Mode

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:34 pm

I use B mode when there will be lots of slowing down, but not a lot of stopping. If it's mainly stop and go, then I might use ePedal. Or not.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

NavyCuda
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:14 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Jun 2015
Leaf Number: 329051

Re: E-Pedal Verses B Mode

Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:27 am

I personally use epedal all the time but I don’t like the brake lights coming on under such light regen conditions. Makes me look like I ride the brakes and don’t know how to drive.

If you get rear ended, it has everything to do with the idiot behind you following too close and not paying attention.

It is always recommended to use the engine to slow a vehicle over the brakes. As brakes heat up their performance degrades. A good defensive driver, their brakes will have issues related to calipers seizing up but otherwise lasting an exceptionally long time.

Dave, you’re a fear monger.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9837
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: E-Pedal Verses B Mode

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:04 am

If you get rear ended, it has everything to do with the idiot behind you following too close and not paying attention.


Smart phones, stupid drivers.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13338
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: E-Pedal Verses B Mode

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:28 am

NavyCuda wrote:I personally use epedal all the time but I don’t like the brake lights coming on under such light regen conditions. Makes me look like I ride the brakes and don’t know how to drive.

If you get rear ended, it has everything to do with the idiot behind you following too close and not paying attention.

It is always recommended to use the engine to slow a vehicle over the brakes. As brakes heat up their performance degrades. A good defensive driver, their brakes will have issues related to calipers seizing up but otherwise lasting an exceptionally long time.

Dave, you’re a fear monger.



I think a lot of opinion on this is based on personal circumstances. FYI; WA drivers DON'T know how to drive. We were ranked 178th AFTER discounting for weather conditions so can't even use rain as an excuse.

As far as brake lights flashing on and off. Its rather common here for people to ride the brakes without slowing down if they see something ahead due to the huge number of rear enders we have here.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 11,987 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 110.89 Ahr , SOH 96.00, Hx 115.22
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rogersleaf
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:50 pm
Delivery Date: 17 May 2014
Leaf Number: 337936
Location: Kent, Ohio

Re: E-Pedal Verses B Mode

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:08 am

I came across this thread after test driving a 2018 LEAF last night. Was basically surprised to not see any brake lights in either b or e-pedal mode.

Having driven commercial buses for over 30 years, I can’t believe this is DOT legal. Apply any type of engine brake or transmission retarder on a commercial bus will light the brake lights. The transit authority where I currently work installed deceleration lightning on every bus, works off a gyroscope switch and lights an extra set of amber lights when slowing.

Not having a similar device on a LEAF is both stupid and dangerous.
2014 SV - Brilliant Silver - returned 1/2017 at end of lease.

golfcart
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:08 am
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Re: E-Pedal Verses B Mode

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:31 am

The leaf is my first "automatic" transmission vehicle and I use B-mode exactly like I used engine braking on a 5-speed. While I do understand the position of the OP, and could understand having the brake lights come on under a certain level of regen, I would hate it if the brake lights came on every time I lifted or modulated the throttle in B-mode. It would cause a lot of unnecessary braking by the people around me and would make me look like a clown with the brakes lights flickering on and off all the time. If I need to slow down considerably or stop I hit the brake pedal, if anyone hits me while I'm using B-mode to modulate my speed they are either not paying attention, driving way to close, or both IMO.
2015 S with Charge Package

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13338
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: E-Pedal Verses B Mode

Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:25 am

rogersleaf wrote:I came across this thread after test driving a 2018 LEAF last night. Was basically surprised to not see any brake lights in either b or e-pedal mode.

Having driven commercial buses for over 30 years, I can’t believe this is DOT legal. Apply any type of engine brake or transmission retarder on a commercial bus will light the brake lights. The transit authority where I currently work installed deceleration lightning on every bus, works off a gyroscope switch and lights an extra set of amber lights when slowing.

Not having a similar device on a LEAF is both stupid and dangerous.


You "mis saw" there is definitely brake lights in E Pedal. For all other drive modes, only the brake pedal actuates the brake lights.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 11,987 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 110.89 Ahr , SOH 96.00, Hx 115.22
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13338
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: E-Pedal Verses B Mode

Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:26 am

golfcart wrote:The leaf is my first "automatic" transmission vehicle and I use B-mode exactly like I used engine braking on a 5-speed. While I do understand the position of the OP, and could understand having the brake lights come on under a certain level of regen, I would hate it if the brake lights came on every time I lifted or modulated the throttle in B-mode. It would cause a lot of unnecessary braking by the people around me and would make me look like a clown with the brakes lights flickering on and off all the time. If I need to slow down considerably or stop I hit the brake pedal, if anyone hits me while I'm using B-mode to modulate my speed they are either not paying attention, driving way to close, or both IMO.


I would hate it too. Thankfully that is not how E Pedal works. It actuates brake lights only when it hits a certain level of deceleration and they remain on until you start to accelerate again.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 11,987 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 110.89 Ahr , SOH 96.00, Hx 115.22
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

golfcart
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:08 am
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Re: E-Pedal Verses B Mode

Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:17 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
I would hate it too. Thankfully that is not how E Pedal works. It actuates brake lights only when it hits a certain level of deceleration and they remain on until you start to accelerate again.


Yeah but I was talking about brake lights while using B-mode. If that is what you are advocating for with B-mode then I could live with it. I would lose the ability to mess with tailgaters on the highway but I suppose that's a small price to pay for safety. :D
2015 S with Charge Package

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”