leaf gen2 steering wheel

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfcart

What do you gen2 drivers think about the new steering wheel? I really like the flat bottom look but then when I test drove a 2018 it kind of felt like a school bus because the wheel seemed really big.

Do y'all feel like the steering wheel is huge? Do u get used to it?

I've actually been driving a Rogue loaner this week and it has the flat-bottomed steering wheel, overall I don't care for it(and it's not heated nor does it have heated seats! :D ).
When coming out of a turn I like to let go of the steering wheel and have it straighten itself out, resting my fingers along the outer part of the wheel in case I need to grab the wheel. Doing this causes my fingers to move up and down when it comes to the flat spot, sometimes temporarily losing contact with the steering wheel, something I don't want.
I guess it looks kind of cool, like the newer tires with no sidewall, all rim, but like those kind of tires, I personally wouldn't want it myself :)

On a brief test drive, i didn't care for the flat bottom. A basic design concept of a "wheel" is it's supposed to be round. I tend to palm the wheel in turns, the flat spot made the palming motion feel awkward. But I could live with it. I did like the center of the wheel better than the previous gen LEAF. Getting rid of the protruding toggle-style switches is a plus as tended to snag them with my wrist while turning the wheel.

What about the size of the wheel? It just seemed really large, much more so than my 2015. Was it just my impression or is the wheel really oversized?

I'm very happy with the steering wheel, it doesn't seem to big for me. It took about 2 weeks to get used to the buttons and now I rarely have to look at them. It's my first car with a flat bottom wheel and I like how it gives a quick registration feel when backing up while parallel parking.

Back