NEWBIE: Speaker upgrade question (2017 Leaf SV)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RapmasterD

Hi - With about 10 days in, I'm loving my new Nissan Leaf SV. I'll tell my NEWBIE story in a separate thread. Meanwhile...I've read the miscellaneous anecdotes about the quality of the non-Bose audio system (ahem).

While the speakers are better than I thought, they are still pretty rough. Without swapping the head unit or adding a sub, do you think I'll notice a significant difference by upgrading the speakers to the Alpine R series? Since I'm not doing it myself, the job is a bit expensive, particularly for a leased car, but Daddy needs a better audio experience.

Thank you.

I replaced the 4 Bose speakers in my 2014 w/ Infinity Kappa 62.11i 6.5 Inch Coaxial Speaker. I used the existing speaker's bases.

Sounds substantially better, fuller & smoother sound w/ better highs and lows. And now the equalizer is set as -1 for both base and treble (they were both at +2).

I'm surprised by how well the treble travels up from the low speaker location. I thought the legs would block a lot of the treble. The existing tweeters are still operational so i'm sure they help but they're not that loud. The infinity's have a button to increase the highs and this has not been activated.

I find that this ~$200 upgrade is good value for the money. The next step would be quite a bit more money. However, i would hesitate to spend $ on a lease car.

On my second Leaf I replaced the front speakers and put the front ones in the rear.

I used low depth Infinity speakers from Crutchfield. I also used ingineer's Home Depot rubber lining. I no longer have the car so I can not list the model numbers. As I recall to fit the front speakers in the rear I had to use the front connectors since the rear had different ones.

I left the stock tweeters in place. The sound was greatly improved.

Back