powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Re: Expensive first maintenance in 6 months

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:39 am

I've said it in a previous post, and will repeat it. Brake fluid is part of a hydraulic system which exerts thousands of pounds per square inch (psi). You trust YOUR LIFE to the fact the car will stop when you need to.

The main quality of brake fluid is that it ABSORBS water like a sponge. You should change it about every 4 years..... No questions.

Since it will eventually contain water, it will 1) eventually rust and contaminate (I'm talking thick, hard crud) the interior hoses, calipers, and master cylinder. 2) When the car is braking, the heat of the friction heats the brake fluid, and the water could make the fluid "boil", not good. If you change it regularly, you will never have to change any brake items except pads....

A telltale sign of the brake fluid needing change is when it starts to get "dark", "brown", or in the case of my Honda.... "Green". new brake fluid is clear like water. Brake fluid change is not complicated or difficult procedure, and it is so easy that one person can do it. The basic idea is that you drain out the old fluid from each wheel, while continuing to add new fluid in the engine compartment "master cylinder" (just thought of Felix the Cat! hee hee,,,,). Cost is about $10 in NEW brake fluid, and the tools (wrench and hand vacuum pump to suction out the fluid.... You can also use a partner to pump the brake pedal when needed for free.). OR you can bring it to a mechanic who can do it for under $100 dollars, which is a bargain....

The Leaf is such a low maintenance vehicle...... Don't be a cheap ass and complain about this service.... And also.... You do not NEED to change the cabin air filter... If you are a smoker, then you should every couple of years...

derkraut
Delivery Date: 14 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 004248

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:26 pm

downeykp wrote:I wouldn't do any of that. Rotate the tires and you are good to go. It just Nissan BS. In the 7 years I have owned mine I have changed the cabin filter once and rotated the tires every 5000 mi. Brake fluid change is also stupid. I have not done this and my brakes work fine. Save your money.

I agree 100%. Don't get sucked into paying for maintenance that is not needed
Derkraut
Color: Cayenne SLE, ETEC trim
reserved: 5/15/2010
Leaf del. 6/14/2011
New Traction battery installed on 7/28/2017:

derkraut
Delivery Date: 14 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 004248

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:34 pm

cwerdna wrote:I've never changed the brake fluid on my used '13 Leaf (built 5/2013). I have no idea if the previous driver did (was a 2 year lease return) and bought it when it was ~25 months old. I've owned this car for over 3 years now. A few weeks back, I finally used a brake fluid tester to measure moisture and some Phoenix brake fluid test strips to measure copper levels. They were both fine. No need to change what I have.

I suspect the stupid brake fluid change intervals along w/the "required" annual battery check (first two free) were just bones that Nissan threw to dealers to help make up for lost ICE service revenue (oil changes, brakes, belts, spark plugs, fuel injector cleaning, etc.)

Bingo! I agree with cwerdna 100%. BTW---I am an ASE Certified auto repair mechanic, and my 2011 Leaf has never been to the dealer, except for "under warranty" service, and to install a new traction battery.
Derkraut
Color: Cayenne SLE, ETEC trim
reserved: 5/15/2010
Leaf del. 6/14/2011
New Traction battery installed on 7/28/2017:

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:55 pm

sgksgk wrote:My Leaf is around 11000km. My dealership is getting me to do the first maintenance in 6 months. They will be charging me CDN $199 + $129 + tax to do tire rotation, brake fluid change, a bunch of (visual?) inspection. Nissan website suggests doing brake fluid change at the second year service. I can rotate the tires myself so is it really necessary to get the dealership to do these inspection? I felt it way overpriced.
Do nothing for 36 to 48 months. Just charge and drive. Maybe check tire pressure and clean the windows.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:56 pm

smkettner wrote:Do nothing for 36 to 48 months. Just charge and drive. Maybe check tire pressure and clean the windows.

Fill the wiper fluid.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:19 pm

I recently had my Mercedes A service done. I was told that Mercedes requires a full service on a leased car. I only wanted the filters changed and the annual battery check. I was told that if I owned the car I could do as I pleased but since it was leased I was screwed. $365 vs 189, ouck.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”