ev8309
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2017
Leaf Number: 305842

Can You Stop Charging Remotely?

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:01 pm

I have NissanConnect EV v6.3.3 for Android. Can anyone tell me: How to stop charging from NissanConnect EV? There is a Charging Start widget, but no Charging Stop widget. Why not? Am I missing something? Thanks.
EV8309
2015 Nissan Leaf SV
Black / 50K miles / 12 bars

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Simple question about NissanConnect EV

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:30 pm

This is something that Nissan has never implemented. The only way to stop charging remotely is to use an EVSE (charging station) with either a timer, or a WiFi app that you use entirely apart from Nissan Connect EV.

BTW, would you mind if I change the title of this topic to: "Can You Stop Charging Remotely?" It would be much more useful that way for future site searches.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:53 pm

LeftieBiker wrote: BTW, would you mind if I change the title of this topic to: "Can You Stop Charging Remotely?" It would be much more useful that way for future site searches.
Agreed.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

BuffaloBillsfan
Delivery Date: 13 Oct 2018
Leaf Number: 305768

Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:19 am

I use the app mostly to pre-warm the car. What I would like to know is what is the cheapest way to keep doing that after the trial runs out besides doing it myself manually?
2018 gun metallic SL with tech package

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Can You Stop Charging Remotely?

Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:37 am

The remote climate control remains free after the free trial of the paid features ends.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:44 am

LeftieBiker wrote:This is something that Nissan has never implemented. The only way to stop charging remotely is to use an EVSE (charging station) with either a timer, or a WiFi app that you use entirely apart from Nissan Connect EV.

BTW, would you mind if I change the title of this topic to: "Can You Stop Charging Remotely?" It would be much more useful that way for future site searches.
Hey Leftie. Is there an App that allows for stopping the charge.

Next question. Right now because of parking I am charging mostly from 120. Angela’s car uses the Juice Box in the garage. The receptacle I use is normally for the Christmas lights. There is a switch that controls that receptacle inside. Any problem using that switch to turn on and off the EVSE?

Thanks.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

BuffaloBillsfan
Delivery Date: 13 Oct 2018
Leaf Number: 305768

Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:31 am

LeftieBiker wrote:The remote climate control remains free after the free trial of the paid features ends.
I guess it can't get any cheaper than that!
2018 gun metallic SL with tech package

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:47 am

webeleafowners wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:This is something that Nissan has never implemented. The only way to stop charging remotely is to use an EVSE (charging station) with either a timer, or a WiFi app that you use entirely apart from Nissan Connect EV.

Next question. Right now because of parking I am charging mostly from 120. Angela’s car uses the Juice Box in the garage. The receptacle I use is normally for the Christmas lights. There is a switch that controls that receptacle inside. Any problem using that switch to turn on and off the EVSE?

Thanks.
Since Nissan has never implemented remote charging STOP function and 3rd party apps use the Nissan connection, I don't see how it could be done until Nissan implements that capability.

I don't recommend using a regular light switch to control the EVSE because the car draws 12 amperes continuous so the switch would be interrupting that current (switch might be rated for it, but most household lighting circuits are 600 watts or less so 5 amperes or less). The night after I picked up my first Leaf (in June of 2011), I discovered my new level 2 EVSE would not work with my air compressor receptacle (AeroVironment EVSE tests ground integrity with enough current to trip 240-volt GFCI) so I had to charge at 120 volts. I plugged the portable EVSE into a short power tool extension cord in the garage so the unit would not hang from the receptacle by its 12-inch cord. When packing up the portable EVSE the next morning, I unplugged the supply end first without thinking about it and drew a big arc because the car was still charging at the full 12-ampere rate. It would take a high quality switch to interrupt that current on a routine basis.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL+ purchased 8/10/2019

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:55 am

GerryAZ wrote:
webeleafowners wrote:

Thanks.
Since Nissan has never implemented remote charging STOP function and 3rd party apps use the Nissan connection, I don't see how it could be done until Nissan implements that capability.

I don't recommend using a regular light switch to control the EVSE because the car draws 12 amperes continuous so the switch would be interrupting that current (switch might be rated for it, but most household lighting circuits are 600 watts or less so 5 amperes or less). The night after I picked up my first Leaf (in June of 2011), I discovered my new level 2 EVSE would not work with my air compressor receptacle (AeroVironment EVSE tests ground integrity with enough current to trip 240-volt GFCI) so I had to charge at 120 volts. I plugged the portable EVSE into a short power tool extension cord in the garage so the unit would not hang from the receptacle by its 12-inch cord. When packing up the portable EVSE the next morning, I unplugged the supply end first without thinking about it and drew a big arc because the car was still charging at the full 12-ampere rate. It would take a high quality switch to interrupt that current on a routine basis.
Thank for that insight Gerry. I quite often use the EVSE from the car which has an 8 amp setting so that might be ok. But from the point of view of the car, J1772 protocol etc, is there any reason where it might not be a good idea?

Thanks.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:05 pm

It just looks like a power outage to the car so it SHOULD not hurt anything, but there was a recent thread under problems/troubleshooting that described an issue that started when an EVSE was unplugged so you might want to search for that thread. Is the portable unit for the Smart EV only 8 amperes or do you have an adjustable unit? The Leaf unit is fixed at 12 amperes unless it has been modified.

Edited to add the link:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 69#p548482
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL+ purchased 8/10/2019

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”