Naps
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:26 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Sep 2019
Leaf Number: 310717

Used 2016 SL Battery Check and Warranty Help

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:57 pm

Hello,

I just bought a 2016 SL from Carvana today. It has 44k miles, 10 bars, and Leafspy shows the SoH is 68.21%. This is much lower capacity than I expected so I'm leaning towards returning it.

However, if this car qualifies for the battery warranty free replacement, I would keep it.

From what I've researched, they will provide a free replacement if it gets to 9 bars under 100k miles or 8 years.

Could anyone please offer any guidance on how to estimate when the 3rd bar will go away and if the car will qualify for the battery warranty?

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 12740
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Used 2016 SL Battery Check and Warranty Help

Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:54 pm

Nissan will insist that the BMS "update" be applied to the car. I expect one bar to return after that - for a while, anyway. If you need near full range, don't try to play "battery warranty roulette."
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

johnlocke
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:47 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 300582

Re: Used 2016 SL Battery Check and Warranty Help

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:01 pm

Naps wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:57 pm
Hello,

I just bought a 2016 SL from Carvana today. It has 44k miles, 10 bars, and Leafspy shows the SoH is 68.21%. This is much lower capacity than I expected so I'm leaning towards returning it.

However, if this car qualifies for the battery warranty free replacement, I would keep it.

From what I've researched, they will provide a free replacement if it gets to 9 bars under 100k miles or 8 years.

Could anyone please offer any guidance on how to estimate when the 3rd bar will go away and if the car will qualify for the battery warranty?
At an SOH of 68%, you should have lost the third bar already. The fourth bar should drop at around 64%. It really depends on how much you paid for it and rather the range is currently sufficient for your needs or not. If the range is marginal, I'd return it.
2016 SV, New battery at 45K mi.
Jamul, CA
San Diego East County

powersurge
Posts: 1412
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Used 2016 SL Battery Check and Warranty Help

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:49 am

IMO, a 2016 with a 68% SOH has had an abused life... If you have bought it from Carvana, then you probably paid market value for it... Which would be $12-14,000 for it?

For that kind of money, you can buy any car.... In great condition. Why accept to have a damaged car, and have to do the leg work and inconvenience of seeking a solution to the problem car???

You may be able to get a new battery, but at what cost? And maybe not? Use the carvana warranty against them in this case... Unless you like playing a gamble.

PS - Are you sure you read the SOH as 68%? Or was it the SOC, which is the level of charge?

SageBrush
Posts: 4576
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Used 2016 SL Battery Check and Warranty Help

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:26 am

Naps wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:57 pm
However, if this car qualifies for the battery warranty free replacement, I would keep it.
From what I've researched, they will provide a free replacement if it gets to 9 bars under 100k miles or 8 years.
.
Your reading is correct and unless you live a cold weather climate, eventually triggering the warranty seems like a given unless the software update works, in which case you are good to go.

So the only question is whether you can tolerate the range as it approaches warranty.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 12740
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Used 2016 SL Battery Check and Warranty Help

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:36 am

SageBrush wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:26 am
Naps wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:57 pm
However, if this car qualifies for the battery warranty free replacement, I would keep it.
From what I've researched, they will provide a free replacement if it gets to 9 bars under 100k miles or 8 years.
.
Your reading is correct and unless you live a cold weather climate, eventually triggering the warranty seems like a given unless the software update works, in which case you are good to go.

So the only question is whether you can tolerate the range as it approaches warranty.

Unless they changed it, the warranty trigger is 8 bars, not 9.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

SageBrush
Posts: 4576
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Used 2016 SL Battery Check and Warranty Help

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:01 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:36 am
SageBrush wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:26 am
Naps wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:57 pm
However, if this car qualifies for the battery warranty free replacement, I would keep it.
From what I've researched, they will provide a free replacement if it gets to 9 bars under 100k miles or 8 years.
.
Your reading is correct and unless you live a cold weather climate, eventually triggering the warranty seems like a given unless the software update works, in which case you are good to go.

So the only question is whether you can tolerate the range as it approaches warranty.

Unless they changed it, the warranty trigger is 8 bars, not 9.
.
Good catch. Agreed
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Naps
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:26 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Sep 2019
Leaf Number: 310717

Re: Used 2016 SL Battery Check and Warranty Help

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:32 am

Based on the replies, it seems like it's risky to play the warranty game.

I woke up this morning to it charged 97% with the GoM reading 97 miles. SoH is still 68%. Drove 7ish miles to work mixed freeway and local streets with it reading 91 miles. While, it easily meets my daily commute needs, I'd rather trade it in for one with a better SoH.

Thank you all for the replies!

Phatcat73
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:44 pm
Leaf Number: 401511
Location: Buffalo Grove, Il

Re: Used 2016 SL Battery Check and Warranty Help

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:38 am

Depends on your climate. if seasonal with some warm summer months you’ll get a new battery. The battery degradation warranty is 8 yrs 100000 miles
2018 Tesla Model 3 AWD
2016 SV; leased 20-Jan-17, 25k, 88% SOH; 20-May-19
2015 S; purchased 29-July-14, moved to AZ Nov-2014, 22k, 82% SOH; 01-Mar-18
Solar Array: [url]https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/pv/ ... overview[l]

powersurge
Posts: 1412
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Used 2016 SL Battery Check and Warranty Help

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:49 am

Naps wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:32 am
Based on the replies, it seems like it's risky to play the warranty game.

I woke up this morning to it charged 97% with the GoM reading 97 miles. SoH is still 68%. Drove 7ish miles to work mixed freeway and local streets with it reading 91 miles. While, it easily meets my daily commute needs, I'd rather trade it in for one with a better SoH.

Thank you all for the replies!
Something does not make sense here.. If he charged to 97% (GOM - 97 miles), then drove 7 miles and the GOM still shows 91 miles of range, then this battery is still very strong.

If the GOM is showing a full battery 100% with 100 miles of range, the battery CANNOT be at a SOH of only 68%. With that low state of health, the GOM would be showing... Like 50-60 miles of range?? At a full charge??

My car's SOH is 92%, and when I full charge, my GOM is still showing 100 miles of range, like it has for years.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”