Former Aptera deposit holder, August order date Leafer.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys. Those of you from the Aptera forum may know me as Apteratude, or Speedgsx98. I was #308 electric over there, but bailed out a couple weeks ago after reserving one in January 2008. Reserved my leaf back on 4-20-10 right when the email hit my inbox activating the the reservation system for the Leaf. A couple comments, then questions =)

Looking at a lease as:

1) Not certain about the long term outlook for resale value on the leaf and it's future competitors
2) Lower monthly payments and unsure as to ability to get the full $7500 federal credit

Questions:

1) Is there any way to bypass the home inspection. Read some posts here, looks like some are gambling that. Anyone know for sure? $100 not bad really I guess.
2) If not using VM for the Install of the home charging station, what can one expect to pay instead of the $2200 quotes I've seen so far?
3)Just confirming that CA does get the additional $5k credit on top of the $7500 federal incentive as long as the funds are still available? From what I gather, with an August order date, I should be fine =)

I think that's it for now. Found the threads on here where several dealers are offering $500-$1k of retail price. It sounds good to me. Having a hard time making my decision. We recently leassed a 2010 Subaru WRX, and have a 2008 Honda Civic Si that we purchased and have 2.5 years left on the loan and have about $1k in equity. The WRX is somewhat modified and is a blast to drive, which is one of the reasons we sold our 2000 Honda Insight other than the fact that the HOV lane access program was coming to an end this dec with no extention in sight, affecting the car's resale value. Here's some math I did on the purchasing the Leaf vs keeping the Honda Civic Si. Read and let me know what you think!

512 Honda Civic Si Payment
170 1 month gasoline for work and reg useage
---------------------------------------------
682 total car pymt/gas montly for 2008 Honda Civic Si

269 Leaf lease payment including monthly taxes after figuring $5k rebate and $1k towards install after install rebates. Nissan Leaf payment (lease)
25 Montly electric charging costs

So, $294 vs. $682, and I do have to cough up a couple grand for money down on the lease, but a $387 monthly savings...I'm talking myself into it other thatn the wife doesn't want another "boring" car. Hmmmmm?

So to summarize, the dilemma is that we will be saving a significant amount over the Honda civic Si, but if we get the Leaf, we'll feel obligated to drive it to realize it's full savings, meaning the fun car(Subaru WRX) we just got will spend more time in the garage, and we're not hurting for the extra money, but do like to make smart decisions when possible!

to those who've had the home inspection done btw, do you find they are getting out to your house at the time promised? Also, wondering what is the procedure if you rent as far as setting up the inspection. Nissan Leaf site wants to know if you own or rent. Do the inspectors or Nissan want you to submit a copy of the deed or inspector want to see proof of ownership? I'm just worried since I'm getting up to speed a little late, that I don't want to get behind in the order process. I understand that a home inspection is the only thing standing in my way before making the order with Nissan.

hybrid2electric said:
do you find they are getting out to your house at the time promised? Also, wondering what is the procedure if you rent as far as setting up the inspection. Nissan Leaf site wants to know if you own or rent. Do the inspectors or Nissan want you to submit a copy of the deed or inspector want to see proof of ownership? I'm just worried since I'm getting up to speed a little late, that I don't want to get behind in the order process. I understand that a home inspection is the only thing standing in my way before making the order with Nissan.

If you rent there is a property owner release that needs to be signed and (IIRC) notarized. Yes, they did show up when expected for my evaluation.

mwalsh said:
hybrid2electric said:
do you find they are getting out to your house at the time promised? Also, wondering what is the procedure if you rent as far as setting up the inspection. Nissan Leaf site wants to know if you own or rent. Do the inspectors or Nissan want you to submit a copy of the deed or inspector want to see proof of ownership? I'm just worried since I'm getting up to speed a little late, that I don't want to get behind in the order process. I understand that a home inspection is the only thing standing in my way before making the order with Nissan.

If you rent there is a property owner release that needs to be signed and (IIRC) notarized. Yes, they did show up when expected for my evaluation.

If I don't say anything, will they just do the inspection and take my word for it that I'm an owner?

hybrid2electric said:
Hi guys. Those of you from the Aptera forum may know me as Apteratude, or Speedgsx98. I was #308 electric over there, but bailed out a couple weeks ago after reserving one in January 2008. Reserved my leaf back on 4-20-10 right when the email hit my inbox activating the the reservation system for the Leaf. A couple comments, then questions =)

Looking at a lease as:

1) Not certain about the long term outlook for resale value on the leaf and it's future competitors
2) Lower monthly payments and unsure as to ability to get the full $7500 federal credit

Questions:

1) Is there any way to bypass the home inspection. Read some posts here, looks like some are gambling that. Anyone know for sure? $100 not bad really I guess.
2) If not using VM for the Install of the home charging station, what can one expect to pay instead of the $2200 quotes I've seen so far?
3)Just confirming that CA does get the additional $5k credit on top of the $7500 federal incentive as long as the funds are still available? From what I gather, with an August order date, I should be fine =)

I think that's it for now. Found the threads on here where several dealers are offering $500-$1k of retail price. It sounds good to me. Having a hard time making my decision. We recently leassed a 2010 Subaru WRX, and have a 2008 Honda Civic Si that we purchased and have 2.5 years left on the loan and have about $1k in equity. The WRX is somewhat modified and is a blast to drive, which is one of the reasons we sold our 2000 Honda Insight other than the fact that the HOV lane access program was coming to an end this dec with no extention in sight, affecting the car's resale value. Here's some math I did on the purchasing the Leaf vs keeping the Honda Civic Si. Read and let me know what you think!

512 Honda Civic Si Payment
170 1 month gasoline for work and reg useage
---------------------------------------------
682 total car pymt/gas montly for 2008 Honda Civic Si

269 Leaf lease payment including monthly taxes after figuring $5k rebate and $1k towards install after install rebates. Nissan Leaf payment (lease)
25 Montly electric charging costs

So, $294 vs. $682, and I do have to cough up a couple grand for money down on the lease, but a $387 monthly savings...I'm talking myself into it other thatn the wife doesn't want another "boring" car. Hmmmmm?

One dealer in the Bay area said 5% off MSRP which is about $1700 off the SL. :)

LTLFTcomposite said:
What is happening with Aptera these days? Anything? You sure hung on for a long time.

Well, for starters, they didn't win the X-prize and struggled to complete the emergency lane change maneuver in the competition. It took something like 40 passes to try and complete the maneuver at a very rudimentary speed. Once I read that they lost the X-Prize, I decided that was it. I'd already backed out of a 2nd deposit I'd put down for the hybrid version for my dad in may '08 and got the money back. Still waiting for this most recent deposit to be refunded but have been getting plenty of email contact, and supposedly it's already been processed, but has yet to post to my acct.

Now that the Aptera has gone from orig 1500 lbs to 1900 or so lbs, I'm less than impressed. I'm sorry I ever found out about the Aptera other than the fact that my interest in it turned me on to other EV's such at the leaf =)

Back