Low battery warning light

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernie82

Until today I never have driven below two bars so I never have seen the LBW turn on. Today I drove down to a bit more than 1 bar and the LBW didn't come on. I'm thinking it might be programmed to be off. How do I get to the screen that will allow me to reset it to "ON"?
I'm assuming that the gas pump icon illuminates with the LBW. Does it change color when LBW occurs?

bernie82 said:
Until today I never have driven below two bars so I never have seen the LBW turn on. Today I drove down to a bit more than 1 bar and the LBW didn't come on. I'm thinking it might be programmed to be off. How do I get to the screen that will allow me to reset it to "ON"?
I'm assuming that the gas pump icon illuminates with the LBW. Does it change color when LBW occurs?
To get LBW to come on, just drive your Leaf further without recharging. You didn't drive long enough to see the LBW warning.

You are not likely to miss it when it happens. A woman's voice tells you sweetly that your battery is low, the center display in the dash switches to a low battery warning, the GOM (Distance to Empty counter) starts flashing, and, yes, a yellow pump icon lights up. On top of that, the master yellow triangle up at the left edge of the "eyebrow" also comes on. Definitely overkill, as far as I am concerned. I've seen that a number of times, but almost always when I was within 10 miles of home or a planned charging station, so I have continued with no change in my route and little change in my speed.

Now, there was that one time when I was on the freeway, 17 miles from home, with no available charging stations ... That time I slowed to 50, and switched as soon as possible to the old highway where I could slow to 40. I made it home, but was 5 miles past the second (Very Low Battery) warning when I got there.

Ray

The LBW typically happens when the last visible "fuel" bar of
a newish car is almost used up.

Typically there are approximately one and a half invisible bars
to act as a reserve, although their usable energy will vary.

And by the way. When you hit LBW the nice lady asks "Low battery, press button to check" What button does she want me to press, and check what? Yes, I know I have low battery. What the heck am I supposed to check?

palmermd said:
And by the way. When you hit LBW the nice lady asks "Low battery, press button to check" What button does she want me to press, and check what? Yes, I know I have low battery. What the heck am I supposed to check?

Maybe the round button at the upper left of the steering wheel? It will show how far you can go.

TonyWilliams said:
palmermd said:

Maybe the round button at the upper left of the steering wheel? It will show how far you can go.

I've never tried it at LBW, but every other time I've pressed it, it shows the entire state of California. That button is not much help.

Stoaty said:
To get LBW to come on, just drive your Leaf further without recharging. You didn't drive long enough to see the LBW warning.

"just keep driving, just keep driving" :lol:

The best button to push when you get LBW is the one that changes your cluster view in the middle of the dash (so you can see you m/kWh or whatever you look at again). I don't even touch anything in the middle console.

So what happens when. I've hit very low battery before, but I freaked out and repressed the memory. In my car (old bars, old firmware). LBW is at 17.4% on the Gidometer (around 18 miles GOM and maybe 49 Gids). When should I expect VLBW and Turtle, and how many mile are left after each? I seem to remember somewhere only about .25 of a mile after Turtle, is that correct?

mwalsh said:
So what happens when. I've hit very low battery before, but I freaked out and repressed the memory. In my car (old bars, old firmware). LBW is at 17.4% on the Gidometer (around 18 miles GOM and maybe 49 Gids). When should I expect VLBW and Turtle, and how many mile are left after each? I seem to remember somewhere only about .25 of a mile after Turtle, is that correct?

VLB at 24 Gid 8.6%, turtle depending on a bunch of variables, but sometime below 3%. About 25 mph top speed, and maybe up to 1/2 mile.

It's all on the range chart.

palmermd said:
The lady in my car never says anything about pressing a button when I get to LBW. I think she does when I get to VLBW, but I don't go that far very often, and I don't remember exactly what happens then. I believe a map shows up on the center console at VLBW, regardless of what was displayed there before, and I think there is a message there asking if you want to see nearby charging stations.

Ray

Back