Park or foot on the brake?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikedemana

Hi,

This is probably an esoteric question. As far as probably-NOT-noticeable energy usage, is there a difference between sitting at stoplights with your foot on the brake or popping it into park? Note that I'm not in the situation where I need to milk my range...I was just curious.

Mike

I am only guessing here, that parking would consume less energy than in drive with brakes pressed simply because of creep.

I had the same question in my mind though.

Also guessing, but I doubt if creep would have anything to do with it. I suspect the brake system tells the EV system to turn off creep as soon as you press the brake. But this is an assisted braking system, so some energy is probably being used to pressurize the hydraulic system so long as the brake is depressed. Going into Park and out of Park runs an electric motor momentarily to engage and disengage the parking pawl, so it would also use some energy, but I would expect that to be less than the brake.

Bottom line: My guess is that neither uses a noticeable amount of energy, and all that is used comes from the 12v battery.

Ray

Back