New Owner, one question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopHat

Hi all. Great board! This board was the straw that broke the camels back and pushed over the Leaf edge. 2012, Ocean Blue, SL. We absolutely love it and are very glad we purchased.

I have one question: When you start up the Leaf, the center console, (info center) comes up with a disclaimer screen and you have to push "OK" to go to the next screens. Is there a way to bypass this screen?

We signed up for the carwings, thinking this might avoid this screen but to no avail. I also cannot find info on how to bypass this screen.

Any help?

Welcome to the forum.

Interestingly, the same question was just asked, and the answer is the same.
Nope - that screen will always come up and you can punch either button, or, perhaps as I do, hit the map button.

But, now I have a question. As I recall, Carwings is gratis for three years. I know no one has hit that mark yet, but what will happen when a person elects to not continue the service? I suspect that screen will be there until the car dies.

Another question: Do you think that when the LEAF dies, it will sing Daisy? Like poor Hal?

Bill

LakeLeaf said:
Maybe the "OK" screen will be replaced with "Your Carwings subscription has expired. Press OK to renew"
Could be. If so, I can imagine that another popup might then appear: "Unable to make connection. Press OK to retry." ... And this message might not provide a Decline button.

So if, like me, you don't intend to renew, but you do intend to keep the car, you might as well get used to pushing Map (as ebill3 does) or XM (as my wife does) or that button with only a "zero emission" symbol on it (as I do) or whatever button takes you to the screen you want to get to.

Ray

The main useful features of Carwings:

1. Update the "nearby" charging locations stored in the car.
There are several kinds of "nearby", including your destination.

2. Your car can report internal problems, like battery module
problems, to Nissan, and they can ask your dealer to call
you to come in for service.

3. Your car can receive locations sent from Google Maps.

4. If your car is ON, Nissan can determine where your car
is located, we believe (if the Carwings "phone" module
has not been disconnected).

5. Other?

garygid said:

5. Other?

5. Remote charging activation and related messages

6. Remote CC activation.

That last one is the only one I ever use. When it comes time to pay for Carwings, I won't.

dgpcolorado said:
garygid said:

5. Other?

5. Remote charging activation and related messages

6. Remote CC activation.

That last one is the only one I ever use. When it comes time to pay for Carwings, I won't.
Me too.

It just means I will have to get off my dead arse and go to the garage. BUT, then I can select exactly what I want, not what Nissan has programmed for me.

Welcome to Leaf/Forum
The short answer on the disclaimer is no. But if you use the search function on the forum you will find ton's of info on it, trust me we all dislike the disclaimer but hit yes because we love the carwings.
It will take a really long time to get through all the threads on this forum. I leafed in June and still have not gone through them all. These people that post on here are very smart and in most cases every question I have ever asked has already been addressed. The disclaimer has been fixed by one member, still trying to sort the madness on how he did it. But he is nothing short of a genius.
So enjoy the forum and never be afraid to ask question's, you will find that these great people will always point you in the right direction.
Hairy

Hairy, thank you for the newsy post. If you can figure out how he did it, please let us all know.

Top Hat

garygid said:

Can, could, or does? I don't remember seeing this one, though I admit I often skip Carwings threads. It does sound useful, but do we know that it has happened?

Ray

planet4ever said:
Can, could, or does? I don't remember seeing this one, though I admit I often skip Carwings threads. It does sound useful, but do we know that it has happened?

Ray
In the Andy Palmer interview, he quotes battery and mileage performance for AZ owners and claims it came from the remote data collection:
Andy Palmer and Chelsea Sexton Discuss the Nissan LEAF
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1tfX7fRWPI[/youtube]

I also thought I remembered at least one member here being contacted proactively by Nissan about a battery problem.

davewill said:
In the Andy Palmer interview, he quotes battery and mileage performance for AZ owners and claims it came from the remote data collection.
My interpretation of what Andy Palmer said was that he was referring only to the same data that we can see on the CarWings website. It is, of course, quite possible they are collecting data they are hiding from us. My question was whether we have any evidence of that, such as the proactive contact you thought you remembered seeing.

Ray

planet4ever said:
davewill said:
In the Andy Palmer interview, he quotes battery and mileage performance for AZ owners and claims it came from the remote data collection.
It is, of course, quite possible they are collecting data they are hiding from us. My question was whether we have any evidence of that, such as the proactive contact you thought you remembered seeing.
Did Carwings (or Consult III+) "rat out" my Battery?

garygid said:
The Dealer says that Carwings has told somebody (at Nissan?)
that there is a (possible/impending?) problem with the car's battery.

Until now, I had not heard that the LEAF was sending any "pending
problem" type information to Carwings (and Nissan).

The dealer said that a warning light may/might/should come on soon.

Has anybody heard of any diagnostic or car status information
being sent by Carwings to Nissan?

One more useful aspect, although not to the end user directly.

##. Provides Nissan with many data points to help them build a better second generation Leaf.

planet4ever said:
davewill said:
My interpretation of what Andy Palmer said was that he was referring only to the same data that we can see on the CarWings website. It is, of course, quite possible they are collecting data they are hiding from us. My question was whether we have any evidence of that, such as the proactive contact you thought you remembered seeing.

Ray
He specifically states the amount of battery degradation. The user accessible CarWings data wouldn't tell them that.

davewill said:
He specifically states the amount of battery degradation. The user accessible CarWings data wouldn't tell them that.
Yes, that's true. That said, I doubt that they transmit anything if the drivers does not consent, and does not press OK on the center console when the Leaf enters ready mode.

surfingslovak said:
davewill said:
Yes, that's true. That said, I doubt that they transmit anything if the drivers does not consent, and does not press OK on the center console when the Leaf enters ready mode.
I would agree that they are (hopefully!) not collecting data without an "OK", although for degradation, they wouldn't need a continuous stream of OKs, just some fairly recent ones. Not hitting OK would disrupt their mileage data (although they could simply embed the odometer value into their reporting and get that right, too).

Andy also points out that they have heard everyone's apparent discontent with the OK button and they are trying to get the lawyers to sign off on something else (like a 1x/mo. or other solution). Dealing with many different countries and their privacy laws is apparently frustrating.

Back