Touch screen

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

af306

Hello everyone.

I've had my Leaf for 19 months and 11,000 miles. I love the car, and have had no problems other than a flat tire! (I hate my charger, but that's another story).

I have a problem (caused by a human, not the car) which is that I broke the touch screen. In this case, it seems that if one needs a new spark plug, Nissan will be happy to sell one a new engine. Nissan want to replace the whole unit for $3,600. I know the screen is made by Clarion, and I'm hoping I can buy just the replacement screen. Does anyone know how I can find out the Clarion part number, or even where I can buy the screen.

I'd be very grateful for any leads anyone may have. Thank you

AF306

Did you break the touch screen by punching it during the Carwings(TM) confirmation? That almost happens to mine a lot.

I learned to avoid venting my frustrations on delicate electronics (though CarWings has brought me close to tears), so no, it wasn't a punch that broke the screen. It was almost as stupid. I use my car as a truck sometimes, and an errant piece of plywood slid forward during braking (breaking) and tapped the screen low in the center, causing a big spiderweb in the glass under the plastic overlay. Now the "touch" part of the touch screen doesn't work. It doesn't render the car inoperative, just any and all functions of the touchscreen cannot be used.

If you can disassemble it, you may find part numbers that would allow you to source a replacement. I can't recall anyone on here having done so.

It seems I have had success. I ordered a replacement touchscreen from PacParts.com for $22.19. This is separate from the LCD screen which is $152, which I hope I don't need. It's going to be a while before it gets here (before I can verify it's going to work). They recommended getting the screen fitted by a Clarion dealer (probably a good idea, as there'll be a steep learning curve for the novice that I am). As the car works fine, I can easily wait, rather than paying the $2,400 to $3,600 that Nissan are quoting for an entire new unit.

Cheers

Very interesting. It would be great if you could put the specific part numbers you ordered, if they are in fact the correct parts (once you receive them, obviously) and what you managed to do about installation.

It's an unfortunate situation, for sure, but hopefully we can all learn from your experience.

The dealer always replaces whole units. Its faster and there is no delay waiting for the repaired unit. It might be that you can send the unit to Clarion for repair. When I had a Honda people sent their broken OEM navs to the mfg for much less.

While you and I might take apart the unit and repair it the dealer always replaces a whole assembly. The techs are not electronic techs, they are skilled auto mechanics. There is a major difference. In my field the trend is to FRU instead of really fixing the problem. The days of a skilled tech stripping down the unit to component level are far gone. At most it is someone in China looking at an automated tester that has all of the skill. It tells you what to replace and waits for a retest.

Here's the touch screen news.

Good news: you do not have to replace the whole nav / radio / cd unit for $3600 just because your touch screen is cracked. The replacement screen is $22.19!

Bad news: the replacement screen is tricky to fit.

Touch screen is made by Clarion. Clarion Part number Qy7200Na

SKU: 930780649378.

I purchased my replacement touch screen from PacParts, Inc (http://www.pacparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) who were very slick and easy to deal with, and I highly recommend them. Price was $22.19.

PacParts phone number is 800 421 5080 or 310 515 0207.

If your actual LCD screen (under the touch screen) is damaged, a replacement part is also available from PacParts. SKU: 9300467159977, $152.36.

You need a #2 Philips screwdriver to get the nav. unit out of the dash, and a #0 Philips to dismantle the screen bezel to replace the touch screen. *BUT*, as the touch screen is tricky to fit, most people would probably be better off having the touch screen replaced at a Clarion service center. Service centers can be found under the support tab on http://www.clarion.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, then click on "service"

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/support/service/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope this information is found by those unfortunate enough to have broken their touch screen before they fall into despair and spend the $3,600 for a new box from Nissan.

Adrian

You may be more sympathetically disposed to this kind of work than me, so maybe I'm being a bit of a scare-monger.

The replacement is tricky in the way that electronics often are. There are multiple connections which are very delicate, and I found that I needed several extra hands to hold the various parts to prevent dropping and stretching (breaking) the flexible tape connectors (one for the screen and one for the bezel). Access to the plug connections for these is under a circuit board, and can only be reached once the board is removed from the chassis, which necessitates releasing the strain relief for the main screen, which is very precarious. With care, I got it done, and I used masking tape as extra hands. It did require self restraint and some choice golf language to be successful.

I hope (should you need to do it) that its goes as well as mine did. The main thing is that you don't need to pay $3,600 for a new unit, which is a big relief. My local shop wanted $75 for labor, which would be worth it, if it prevents one doing further damage (which I narrowly avoided). I'll put it this way: if I knew then what I know now, I'd pay the service center to do it to reduce stress and risk for me. If you are masochistic, and like risking $3,600 for a $100 repair, or just like new and educating experiences, go for it. If you like boring, predictable and stress free activities, pay the man for what he's good at.

Adrian

Thank you for the thread, I broke my touchscreen (also while carrying wood -_- )
Not only that but the sole Clarion repair shop in Montreal refuses to fix it because of alledged contracts that prohibits them from fixing OEM radios.

I'll try to post some more detailed instructions for other people who encounter this issue once I finally get the part.

It took over a month to get the part as DHL messed up delivery once it finally reach Canada.

I found that replacing the part was very easy.

To remove the screen assembly of the unit, slide it open. (you can unplug the 12V car battery if you're worried about hitting the open/close button accidentaly).
At the back there is a small plate with 2 screws, remove them. It will uncover a ribbon.
Flip up the top part of the ribbon connector and unplug the ribbon carefully.
Remove the 2 screws that attach the screen unit to the arm.
The whole screen assembly can then be taken inside to a proper work area.

Remove all 5 black screws on the perimiter and those on the back.
Remove all the ribbons that are connected to the pcb.
Longer connectors pivot upward to disconnect, others will unlock by pulling on them.
Replace the touch screen, reassemble everything. Make sure that the ribbons are properly lined up and are all squeezed in properly. Its easy to mess that part up.

I remember taking our Volvo 240 - then about 18 years old - to a Volvo dealer, and being told that it needed a $3000.00 transmission. (It wasn't shifting into overdrive.) I researched the matter, and then had a rebuilt overdrive engagement solenoid unit installed for less than a tenth of the dealer's quote. The dealer's response? A shrug, and a suggestion that I could sue them if I felt they had tried to overcharge me...

Just did this myself. The biggest issue for me was the tiny screws which had locktite and were very difficult not to strip. Perhaps I just need to buy some new screwdrivers. Once opened the screen replacement is easy.

Thanks for the p/n which helped a lot.

I had a broken touch screen and attempted to replace it. I have a 2013 Leaf. I guess the Clarion radio in this one is a different model than the one mentioned in this thread.

I ordered the screen previously mentioned in this thread from pacparts. I replaced the screen and it did not work properly, so I took it back out, made sure everything was reassembled, and tried it again. I attached the main orange ribbon cable that connects the display to the radio, put the screws back in, and pressed the open/tilt button to "close the display".

Still didn't work correctly, but now the open/tilt button stopped working. The display is in the closed position, so I can't open it to access the ribbon cable.

Basically, does anyone know how to get the display back out if I cannot open it with the open/tilt button?

Any luck with the nissan 2013?

I have the same car and this touchscreen doesent work. The touchscreen works but is 45 degress rotated
I emailed pacparts but didnt get any ansvers..

Here in Sweden the Nissan dealer wants 9000$ to repair my screen.. (replace the whole nav)

jos32 said:
Any luck with the nissan 2013?

I have the same car and this touchscreen doesent work. The touchscreen works but is 45 degress rotated
I emailed pacparts but didnt get any ansvers..

Here in Sweden the Nissan dealer wants 9000$ to repair my screen.. (replace the whole nav)

Dealers replace assemblies and they never open up the assy. A perfect example is in this thread where the dealer wanted to replace the whole transmission wile the repair was a tenth of the amount.
Not everyone is capable of replacing the delicate smashed display.

af306 said:
Here's the touch screen news.

Touch screen is made by Clarion. Clarion Part number Qy7200Na

SKU: 930780649378.

I purchased my replacement touch screen from PacParts, Inc (http://www.pacparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) who were very slick and easy to deal with, and I highly recommend them. Price was $22.19.

PacParts phone number is 800 421 5080 or 310 515 0207.

If your actual LCD screen (under the touch screen) is damaged, a replacement part is also available from PacParts. SKU: 9300467159977, $152.36.

You need a #2 Philips screwdriver to get the nav. unit out of the dash, and a #0 Philips to dismantle the screen bezel to replace the touch screen. *BUT*, as the touch screen is tricky to fit, most people would probably be better off having the touch screen replaced at a Clarion service center. Service centers can be found under the support tab on http://www.clarion.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, then click on "service"

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/support/service/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Adrian

This is really good info to have.
Thanks

Back