If the Leaf were a computer, it would be...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

Comparing EV adoption/acceptance/market penetration to personal computer evolution, the Leaf might be the Apple II that appeals to technophiles. The IBM PC is still at least five years away.

hal9000.jpg

garygid said:
Nobody has said much about voice-commands to the LEAF's phone and Nav system.

That goes without saying ;-)

ps : We actually talked about it ... it has built in voice commands. I linked the Altima manual - it has all the details.

It's a pretty tough analogy to make!

I think the hope is that the Leaf will be the automotive equivalent of the DEC Alpha processor. The Alpha was the first real, full powered, fully functional 64 bit microprocessor. As such it did everything that 32 bit processors did and more. When it came out, lots and lots of people thought it was silly to be producing a 64 bit microprocessor, after all, no one would ever need all of those extra bits - either for computing accuracy or for increased address space. It did have a few warts, but man was it fast! Digital invested heavily in the design and manufacture of the Alpha (even building their own fab), much like Nissan has invested heavily in the Leaf. The resulting processor was a thing of beauty to those who were able to get their hands on the early processors.

While the Alpha is no longer with us, it was the forerunner to virtually all of today's computing. It is now a challenge to find a 32 bit processor as 64 bits has take over the microprocessor space.

The hope of many is that the Leaf will be like the Alpha - 20 years from now you might not be able to buy a Leaf, and maybe not even a Nissan, but it would be nice if 20 years from now EV's were the rule and not the exception. So for at least that part of the analogy, I'd suggest Digital's Alpha processor.

The only part about the Alpha I don't like is what happened to the company that produced it :cry: So in that sense ... it ruins the analogy for me.

I hope it is the 8085 IBM PC.

Something that is simple & inexpensive and sets off a revolution. Doesn't remain a niche ...

LTLFTcomposite said:
Comparing EV adoption/acceptance/market penetration to personal computer evolution, the Leaf might be the Apple II that appeals to technophiles. The IBM PC is still at least five years away.
TRS-80 from Tandy, which was sold in their Radio Shack stores. The TRS-80 was priced for the masses ($600) like the LEAF and the TRS-80 was sold by a major corporation (Radio Shack) not a startup no one knew at the time, such as Apple and Commodore. Similarly, the Leaf is manufactured and distributed by a global brand (Nissan) versus Tesla or Aptera, etc.

iPad

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/09/06/david-vespremi-a-lot-is-hanging-on-the-leaf/

-- DavidV :D

DavidV said:
iPad

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/09/06/david-vespremi-a-lot-is-hanging-on-the-leaf/

-- DavidV :D

I don't think iPad matches at all. IPad is just an extension of what Apple has been doing with iPod & iPhone - not like a greenfield $4B investment. If anything Leaf is like the iPod.

indyflick said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
TRS-80 from Tandy, which was sold in their Radio Shack stores. The TRS-80 was priced for the masses ($600) like the LEAF and the TRS-80 was sold by a major corporation (Radio Shack) not a startup no one knew at the time, such as Apple and Commodore. Similarly, the Leaf is manufactured and distributed by a global brand (Nissan) versus Tesla or Aptera, etc.

I don't know if you ever had one, but to this day I still let go of the shift when hitting backspace as on the TRS-80, shift-backspace used to erase the whole line and cntrl-z handn't been invented yet.

Back