Can I install a charging station without a garage?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuartus

Greetings, all, from Los Angeles. I'm so glad to have discovered this forum. The Leaf looks like a dream come true to me. However, I have one nagging question (which hopefully isn't TOO dumb):

Can a 220v charging station be installed outside, or must it be in a garage (eg, for protection from the elements, etc.)? We don't have a garage (converted to a studio). Does this mean I'd be condemned to slow, Level 1 charging from a standard 110v outlet?

I'd really love an answer to this one, as I'm holding off ordering until I know.

Thanks!

Stuartus said:
Greetings, all, from Los Angeles. I'm so glad to have discovered this forum. The Leaf looks like a dream come true to me. However, I have one nagging question (which hopefully isn't TOO dumb):

Can a 220v charging station be installed outside, or must it be in a garage (eg, for protection from the elements, etc.)? We don't have a garage (converted to a studio). Does this mean I'd be condemned to slow, Level 1 charging from a standard 110v outlet?

I'd really love an answer to this one, as I'm holding off ordering until I know.

Thanks!

Welcome! We also have LA Metro area geographic thread you might want to check out. EVSE by Leviton, Blink, AV are all offered in an all weather version. I plan to have mine outside as well. I think your garage situation is common in LA area. Many of us (us included) are using our garages for other things, storage, studios, etc. Space is at such a premium at our houses, we don't have basements, etc. Lots of reasons why cars are not kept in the garage. Plus our weather is very forgiving and so there is not a need to have our cars sheltered in the garage for weather reasons. I suggest you check out the EVSE or charging dock threads where this information in extreme detail about the whole issue of charging at home.

Ha...actually my garage if fairly clean...what I will need to do is clean my shed as I will need to move some of my transportation from my side of garage to shed.

My wife's side has her Camry and nothing else. My side has my road bicycle. My mountain bicycle. My wife's road bike. My Stella scooter. My Piaggio MP3 500 scooter. The lawnmower and a few other objects. Will need to move at least a bicycle and a scooter and the lawnmower to shed. I think I can fit the LEAF and the road bikes on my side.

Gavin

I got my home assessment done, and there was no problem installing it outside. That's where it's going to go, be it the AV one or the leviton one.

Back