stjohnh
Delivery Date: 10 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409675

Re: How to set the start charge time on a 2013 S model?

Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:48 am

planet4ever wrote:
kgv2828 wrote:I will apologize in advance but I still don't understand how to make my Leaf S charger start charging for me at midnight when my low rates kick in. I don't really care about the end charge time as my Leaf will be charged in about 4 hours and well before peak kicks in. I also don't want to get up to plug it in at Midnight. Nissan has made this very complicated for the S Model.
The simple answer is that you can't do that using the LEAF timer, but why would you want to?

If, say, your lowest rate is from midnight to 6 AM, what is the difference to you whether the car charges between midnight and 4AM or between 2AM and 6AM? Now, admittedly, if you sometimes have to leave for work before 6AM then it will make a difference to you. But ignoring that (or compensating by setting the end time earlier than 6AM) here is the score card for end-only as I see it:

Difference to you personally: None
Difference to the car: Less time waiting at a high battery charge, so (slightly) longer battery life.
Difference to your utility: None now, but in a future with many EVs, avoids a midnight surge.

The other answer, if you really REALLY want the feature, is to get an EVSE which has a built-in timer.

Ray

I have an S and my wife has an SV. I agree with everything Ray said.
Blessings,
Holland

2 LEAFS, bought 1 week apart. 2013 S for me, 2013 SV is wife's. Both manufactured May 2013, both battery capacity about 60.5 AHr. Both with normal range. No degradation after 2 years and 19,000 miles.

kgv2828
Delivery Date: 09 Oct 2013

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:29 am

So the bottom line is that there is no capability to set a start time for charge. My use case was very simple:
- Come home from work at say 6PM
- Set the timer to start charging at off peak and that is anytime after midnight (assume 3AM)
- Plug the charger into the leaf at 6PM and leave and forget (charging will not start)
- At 3AM, it automatically starts charging so I get a full/almost full charge by 7AM
- Get ready to go to work, unplug the charger and off I go
- Repeat for the next 5 days

But if it is not possible, I understand and can look at other ways to accomplish above.

johnrhansen
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409445

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:30 am

I used to plug my car in as soon as I got home, but stopped because sometimes a trip in the evening would come up and I'd end up unplugging it. I think the easiest thing to do is to turn the charge timer off. Plug the car in and start the charge at the last possible minute before you go to sleep. So you charge up an hour or 2 at the higher rate.. Just how much is that going to cost? That way your car's charge is as high as it can be in case you get some surprise trip you need to take when you get home from work. If you save yourself from having to drive the ice car just once, it makes up the difference in the peak and off peak rate.
2013 S model with quick charge package.
AV 30 amp level 2 EVSE, Bosch PowerMax 30 Amp EVSE, EVSE upgraded EVSE.

davewill

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:39 pm

kgv2828 wrote:So the bottom line is that there is no capability to set a start time for charge. My use case was very simple:
- Come home from work at say 6PM
- Set the timer to start charging at off peak and that is anytime after midnight (assume 3AM)
- Plug the charger into the leaf at 6PM and leave and forget (charging will not start)
- At 3AM, it automatically starts charging so I get a full/almost full charge by 7AM
- Get ready to go to work, unplug the charger and off I go
- Repeat for the next 5 days

But if it is not possible, I understand and can look at other ways to accomplish above.
So why not just set the end time to 7AM and accomplish exactly the same thing?
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

kgv2828
Delivery Date: 09 Oct 2013

Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:49 pm

Got it but it took a while.

So all I have to do is to set the end time and the Leaf SW calculates a start time. If 4 hours is what it takes to complete the charge and I had set the end time as 7AM, it knows to start charging at 3AM automatically if I have the charger plugged into the leaf. At the end of the day, at achieves the same result as having a start time.

It was not as intuitive for me initially and the manual was not at all clear. Thank you everyone on the forum for clarifying this. I will try it to see if theory matches reality tonight.

Jeffissenberg
Delivery Date: 07 Aug 2013
Leaf Number: 178490

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:18 pm

I'm at the dealership right now for another issue and asked them to check on this. The tech arrived at same conclusion as the rest of us - that without the navigation system there isn't an obvious way to set the charger START time. He's going to call Nissan and see if there's a way to do so. If I get good news I'll repost.

I'm not sure why I'd ever want to set an END time, while it seems close to essential to be able to set a START time in order to take advantage of lower power rates at night. Seems like Nissan would like us all to buy the model with the Navigation. What's up Nissan?
-Jeff

stjohnh
Delivery Date: 10 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409675

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:32 pm

Jeffissenberg wrote:I'm not sure why I'd ever want to set an END time, while it seems close to essential to be able to set a START time in order to take advantage of lower power rates at night. Seems like Nissan would like us all to buy the model with the Navigation. What's up Nissan?
-Jeff

Hmm... look through the rest of this thread.
Mostly setting end time is better because:

1) What you really care about is the charge being DONE when you are ready to leave for work. You don't really care about when it starts.
2) You want the car to sit fully charged for as few hours as possible (better for long term health of the battery), IE you don't want it sitting fully charged from 3AM to 7AM when you actually leave for work. Better is finish charging at 7AM and drive at 7AM.
3) The grid already has problems with EV owners all starting charging at 12MN (or whenever the local low rate starts). Better for the grid to have people start charging at varying times, depending on how many hours are needed for full charge.

I have an S and my wife has SV, I much prefer the simplicity and usefulness of the S system. I do understand that the complexity of the SV system is useful for some people, but I think the S system works just fine for the majority.
Blessings,
Holland

2 LEAFS, bought 1 week apart. 2013 S for me, 2013 SV is wife's. Both manufactured May 2013, both battery capacity about 60.5 AHr. Both with normal range. No degradation after 2 years and 19,000 miles.

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Jeffissenberg wrote:I'm at the dealership right now for another issue and asked them to check on this. The tech arrived at same conclusion as the rest of us - that without the navigation system there isn't an obvious way to set the charger START time. He's going to call Nissan and see if there's a way to do so. If I get good news I'll repost.

I'm not sure why I'd ever want to set an END time, while it seems close to essential to be able to set a START time in order to take advantage of lower power rates at night. Seems like Nissan would like us all to buy the model with the Navigation. What's up Nissan?
-Jeff

AFAIK there is no way to set a START timer on the Leaf S. And unless you have a very narrow window of opportunity to use an off-peak rate, and/or are only on 120 volt charging, it's very unlikely that an end-only timer will cause you to start charging during the more expensive rate.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there are also EVSEs that let you set a start delay if that is important to you.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:05 pm

Jeffissenberg wrote:I'm not sure why I'd ever want to set an END time, while it seems close to essential to be able to set a START time in order to take advantage of lower power rates at night.
As stjohnh said, this has all been covered earlier in this thread. Rather than saying that the S model has no start time, just think of it as having an automatic start time -- the latest possible to meet the end time. I believe that is what made the light bulb come on for kgv2828. If the lower rates cover a six hour period and you need to charge for four hours on a given night, having a start time would mean it would charge for the first four hours of the six. Having an end time means it will charge for the last four hours of the six. Either way it takes advantage of the lower rates. In the extreme case of a lowest rate period that is shorter than the charging time, using a start time would mean charging slops over to the following higher rate period. Using an end time means charging starts in the higher rate period, but only shortly before the lower rate kicks in.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

LEAF2013Owner
Delivery Date: 14 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 413109

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:04 pm

I'm so glad I found this thread!!! It seems like we S trim model owners/leasers are just an afterthought of the writers/editors of the 2013 manual. I couldn't make heads or tails of the very brief, poorly explained section on setting the charging timer on my 2013 S model LEAF. When I got to the screen that had "TO:" and the time setting I couldn't figure out what "TO" meant. Why doesn't it say "End" or "Stop"? Then when I decided it must mean the end time I didn't know if the time entry was the number of hours from the current time I wanted it to turn off or if it was the actual time of day/night that I wanted it to turn off.

Thanks to all that made what was clear as mud into something that finally made sense! I hope Nissan improves their manual for us cheapskates that opt for the lowest cost model in the future.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”