How to set that *(% clock

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samiam95124

Hi,

The dashboard clock on my new leaf is 1 hour off. I found the lower left hand buttons to set the clock, but it only
sets the 12/24 hour status of the clock. The manual is of no help whatever, it says "see 5. settings".

Thanks,

Scott

samiam95124 said:
Hi,

The dashboard clock on my new leaf is 1 hour off. I found the lower left hand buttons to set the clock, but it only
sets the 12/24 hour status of the clock. The manual is of no help whatever, it says "see 5. settings".

Thanks,

Scott
which version LEAF are you talking about?

apvbguy said:
samiam95124 said:
Hi,

Thanks,

Scott
which version LEAF are you talking about?

2013 SL

samiam95124 said:
Hi,

Thanks,

Scott

I had the same problem as the manual is wrong. The 2011-12 version the dashboard clock was separate. In the 2013 it is controlled by the Nav unit. So, go into the nav unit and in the settings is the setting for daylight savings time. Check that and the clock will now be correct. I had the same problem you had.

dndrich said:
samiam95124 said:
Hi,

Thanks,

Scott

I had the same problem as the manual is wrong. The 2011-12 version the dashboard clock was separate. In the 2013 it is controlled by the Nav unit. So, go into the nav unit and in the settings is the setting for daylight savings time. Check that and the clock will now be correct. I had the same problem you had.

I get it. Thanks.

Scott

Note about the title of this thread: I'd say that 2011/2012 cars have the "*(%" clock, which always runs slightly faster than the nav clock, but whose setting can only be adjusted further forwards.

2013 cars have the not-bad automatically synchronized clock.

DeaneG said:
Note about the title of this thread: I'd say that 2011/2012 cars have the "*(%" clock, which always runs slightly faster than the nav clock, but whose setting can only be adjusted further forwards. 2013 cars have the not-bad automatically synchronized clock.
Except, of course, for the 2013 S model, which doesn't have nav, so just kept the "*(%" clock. So far mine seems to be keeping time fairly well, but of course I'll have to deal with the only-forward irritation next fall even if it keeps perfect time.

Ray

dndrich said:
My clock wasn't off but I always recall older Leaf ('11 and possibly '12) Leafs complaining about the two unsynchronized clocks. I discovered last night that the two clocks are synced on the '13 (if you have nav). And, you're right, the '13 manual (at least in the PDF I have) is wrong about that.

I tried adjust the time offset on the nav unit and I saw that it was reflected on both clocks.

Yay! Chalk it up to another thing Nissan fixed, possibly due to owner complaints.

cwerdna said:
I discovered last night that the two clocks are synced on the '13 (if you have nav).
If you don't have the nav (i.e. you have the S model), there are still two clocks, and they are synchronized with each other, but not with any external signal. And of course you have to set them using the *(% dash clock settings. I've had my 2013-S for three and half months, now, and the clock seems to be accurate enough that it is still right to a one-minute tolerance. Not like my 2011 that gained two minutes/month.

Just curious - does the nav clock still have that silliness that says DST means DST now, so you have to turn it off in the fall and back on in the spring? I suppose most people won't know or care until November.

Ray

Edit: It turns out I was wrong. The two clocks do both keep good time (at least mine do), but I noticed that the way I have them set there is a few seconds difference between when they switch minutes. Which leads to the question - how do you set the clock that shows up on the audio display? Answer: If the audio system is off, you get a clock menu when you press the audio Settings button.

How long do we spend on Standard Time these days.... what is it, like 2 1/2 weeks? :roll: :lol: I just leave it on DST and account for the difference.

No discussion of time change would be complete without an obligatory retelling of my favorite story related to same...

Rewind to the mid 1960s, in a distant precursor form of social media, a reader writes to the Sun Sentinel letters to the editor: "I think daylight savings time is a bad idea, especially here in south Florida, because the extra hour of sunlight burns the lawns"

Now keep in mind these are the people you want to embrace the advantages of advanced automotive propulsion technologies.

samiam95124 said:
Yeah, another profoundly weak user interface decision: two unsynchronized clocks with wholly different ways to set them and referenced in two difference manuals. Actually though, the manuals do answer the questions but not obviously. Here's a quick recap for my 2012SL, your 2013 is much better:

Upper display clock (usually called the "eyebrow" display):
1- get Owner's Manual
2- go to page 2-11
3- note reference to "See 5. Settings" as OP stated
4- flip ahead to page 2-29. You have found "5. Settings", the 5th option for the TRIP COMPUTER
5- flip one more page to 2-30 and follow directions to set upper display clock:
5a- vehicle power must be "ON," or "READY" with car stationary
5b- in car, push trip computer switch with square symbol 5 times; you will see "Settings"
5c- push the switch with the black dot symbol to move down to "Set Clock"
5d- adjust time as desired by using the square and black dot switches
5e- select "Back" option
6- close and put back the Owner's Manual (what? you thought setting both clocks would be in there? Ha, ha, ha, good one!)

OK, so you've now set one of the two clocks. If you liked the ease of setting the clock above, you'll LOVE setting the Nav display clock:
1- get Navigation System Owner's Manual
2- go to page 1-16 for instructions
2a- in vehicle to right of nav screen press "Menu" button
2b- tap "Settings"
2c- tap "Others"
2d- tap "Clock"
3a- tap "Daylight Savings Time" on or off, OR
3b- tap "Offset (hour)" + or - to change time by an hour
4- exit back through menus or just press "Menu" button again
5- turn off car, go inside, have a drink

Lastly, print this cheatsheet and put it in your glovebox. You get to do all this twice a year and anytime you or the dealer disconnects the battery. If you're like me (condolences) you will forget all this by the next time you need it.

LTLFTcomposite said:
No discussion of time change would be complete without an obligatory retelling of my favorite story related to same...

Rewind to the mid 1960s, in a distant precursor form of social media, a reader writes to the Sun Sentinel letters to the editor: "I think daylight savings time is a bad idea, especially here in south Florida, because the extra hour of sunlight burns the lawns"

Now keep in mind these are the people you want to embrace the advantages of advanced automotive propulsion technologies.

How silly. The extra hour is GREAT for the lawn! :lol:

johnrhansen said:
there is a setting for the clock to not show on the radio. All you need is the one by the speedometer.
True, but my copilot insists on having the other one. (From your reference to "radio" I infer that you have a 2013 S model. People with other models or other years might find that confusing.)

Ray

planet4ever said:
johnrhansen said:
there is a setting for the clock to not show on the radio. All you need is the one by the speedometer.
True, but my copilot insists on having the other one. (From your reference to "radio" I infer that you have a 2013 S model. People with other models or other years might find that confusing.)

Ray
I agree with your co-pilot Ray.
I like the center console (Navigation on some LEAFs, radio on others) much better.
Easier to read bigger display on 2011 LEAF.
And I think it self synchronizes so it is right if you have the daylight savings time setting correct.
But overall, having two non-synchronized clock displays on a vehicle is down right silly and pretty poor engineering for such a state of the art vehicle. :? :roll: :D :? :roll: :D

^^^
As http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=309148#p309148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; mentions, they've addressed that in the '13.

The two clocks are synced and the source I believe is GPS. It was 1 hour off w/the time change and I just toggled the DST settings to fix it, which fixes both clocks.

Correction. 2011/2012 models have one synchronized clock and one non-synchronized clock.
2013 SV and SL models have two clocks synchronized with each other and some external standard.
2013 S models have two clocks which are not synchronized at all. But mine, at least, are both accurate enough that I haven't had to adjust either of them (except for DST) after more than six months.

I have been mildly curious as to what the external standard is. If it really is GPS, they should be good indefinitely, right? If it is something associated with CarWings or the cellular network ...

Ray

Back