240V power cod charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CZleaf

Hi, i just got my Leaf last week. The 110V charger is not doing it for me, but i also think the Blink and Evgo are expensive to instal. Can i just purchase a 220V cable (same as the one that comes with the Leaf but 240V rather than 110V) and plug directly to my 240V outlet? That way i would get the level 2 power and have to buy only the cable...
is this possible and if so, where do i purchase that from? Does anyone know that?

for example can I buy this charger for less than 300 and just use on my 240V outlet:
http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CZleaf said:
Hi, i just got my Leaf last week. The 110V charger is not doing it for me, but i also think the Blink and Evgo are expensive to instal. Can i just purchase a 220V cable (same as the one that comes with the Leaf but 240V rather than 110V) and plug directly to my 240V outlet? That way i would get the level 2 power and have to buy only the cable...
is this possible and if so, where do i purchase that from? Does anyone know that?

Have your electrician put in a L6-30R (240 volt, 30 amp) socket on the wall. While you're waiting for that, send in your power "cod" to http://www.EVSEupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For about $300, they will turn it into a 20 amp, 240 volt unit. Easy and relatively cheap.

Thanks! I was just at http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and saw that! thanks again!

Thats what Im also going to do. Just waiting for someone to lend me theirs that they are not using for the time I will have mines away

hi Novoken,

I had to back away for this option....
I have a lease and to replace this cord when i return the car will cost about $900! :-(

Blink's equipment is about 599 with 100 back in station purchase.

CZleaf said:
hi Novoken,

I had to back away for this option....
I have a lease and to replace this cord when i return the car will cost about $900! :-(

Blink's equipment is about 599 with 100 back in station purchase.
You didn't read the FAQ at http://EVSEUpgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; then. There are at least three ways to deal with the lease "issue".

1. Trade it with some other owner who has an unmodified one, but would like an upgrade. You can probably even get some of your upgrade money back in the swap. (my favorite)
2. Send it back to EVSEUpgrade to be downgraded again.
3. Replace the plug with a 5-15 like it originally came with, and turn it in with no one the wiser.

Some people have even turned in the modded unit, without doing anything to it. It's not a problem.

hi Novoken, thanks for the information!
You were right i didn't read the FAQ...
but then .......
i got an estimate from my electrician and it would cost me $241 to add the outlet in my garage + $287 to change the cord to a 220v = $532. BLINk's equipment is 599 and i am sure you can sell it later as well...

I prefer the wall unit so no harm in that. Unless you anticipate 240v opportunity charging at an alternate location you will be fine to leave the brick unmodified.

My preference would be Clipper Creek, Leviton, or Schneider over the Blink but that is your call.

thanks! Any reason in specific you don't like Blink?
I just wanted to check all possibilities before buy the unit!

thanks again!

CZleaf said:
but then .......
i got an estimate from my electrician and it would cost me $241 to add the outlet in my garage + $287 to change the cord to a 220v = $532. BLINk's equipment is 599 and i am sure you can sell it later as well...
No doubt. Do remember that you will have to pay at least the same $241 to install the Blink, and probably a bit more as it requires a bigger circuit.

davewill said:
CZleaf said:
but then .......
No doubt. Do remember that you will have to pay at least the same $241 to install the Blink, and probably a bit more as it requires a bigger circuit.

I was wondering the same thing - you $599 is just equipment, right, so you still have to pay for the install. I don't have a Leaf yet, but am set to pick up my SV with premium package from the dealer on Saturday. I've been thinking about charging options and I just don't have the budget to invest hundreds of dollars right now in something, but am curious about what options are available and whether prices will slowly drop even more so that I might eventually purchase something for the house....

dvdmon said:
... I've been thinking about charging options and I just don't have the budget to invest hundreds of dollars right now in something, but am curious about what options are available and whether prices will slowly drop even more so that I might eventually purchase something for the house....
The cheapest approach, hands down, is the EVSEUpgrade which takes your existing 120v EVSE the car comes with and upgrades it to run at 240v. If you've got a spare 240v plug (like a dryer plug) available, installation can be free. Even if you have to pay to have a 240v circuit run, it's still the cheapest option.

The new Bosch/Blink charger IS a significant price drop over other "hang on the wall" EVSEs, and I wouldn't expect another price breakthrough for a while.

davewill said:
dvdmon said:
... I've been thinking about charging options and I just don't have the budget to invest hundreds of dollars right now in something, but am curious about what options are available and whether prices will slowly drop even more so that I might eventually purchase something for the house....
The cheapest approach, hands down, is the EVSEUpgrade which takes your existing 120v EVSE the car comes with and upgrades it to run at 240v. If you've got a spare 240v plug (like a dryer plug) available, installation can be free. Even if you have to pay to have a 240v circuit run, it's still the cheapest option.

The new Bosch/Blink charger IS a significant price drop over other "hang on the wall" EVSEs, and I wouldn't expect another price breakthrough for a while.

Thanks. I don't THINK we have a 240v line in the garage - at least have never seen anything other than a standard outlet. If you do the upgrade to you know if the same charger will serve as a 110v charger? Or is it just one or the other. Their website is a little confusing to a neophyte. They have one item which seems to act as both types (possibly along with plug adapters) however it's $1,000. But if you can still used the upgraded charger for both Level 1 and Level 2, then that would be great. Mainly my thought is that if you upgraded your house to a 240v system and upgraded your charger, you still might need a Level 1 when you were heading to a friend's who didn't have such a charger. I know you could probably find a charging station nearby, but I think I'd want that 110v option just in case...

dvdmon said:
... But if you can still used the upgraded charger for both Level 1 and Level 2, then that would be great. ......
No sweat. The upgraded EVSE will work at both L1 and L2. Just be sure to order the optional 120v adapter ($25) along with the upgrade.

dvdmon said:
Thanks. I don't THINK we have a 240v line in the garage - at least have never seen anything other than a standard outlet
The most likely case would be if your house was designed to have the washer and dryer in the garage. If you actually have a gas dryer in the garage there is a very good chance you have a 240v outlet hiding behind it. Another possibility would be if you have a gas hot water heater in the garage. The house might originally have been wired to support a 240v electric one.

Otherwise you will need to have an electrician run a 240v line to where you want to connect your EVSE. That will be true regardless of what EVSE you decide on.

Ray

dvdmon said:
Their website is a little confusing to a neophyte. They have one item which seems to act as both types (possibly along with plug adapters) however it's $1,000.
The $1,000 is if you don't have a Level 1 EVSE to send them, and you have to buy one outright. If you send in yours, they convert it for $300 and the result is the same. It comes back with a 240 volt plug on it, and you can use a adapter to plug it into 120 volts.

gbarry42 said:
dvdmon said:
Their website is a little confusing to a neophyte. They have one item which seems to act as both types (possibly along with plug adapters) however it's $1,000.
The $1,000 is if you don't have a Level 1 EVSE to send them, and you have to buy one outright. If you send in yours, they convert it for $300 and the result is the same. It comes back with a 240 volt plug on it, and you can use a adapter to plug it into 120 volts.

but if you connect it to the 120v you wont get the level 2 time of charging that you would get from 240v connection

That's correct. Using 120 volts gives you the same thing you had before the conversion. The conversion simply adds the ability to plug into 240 volts and run a Level 2 charge. I was trying to keep my message brief and not repeat what I thought had already been explained..

Thanks for the info, guys. I guess then my only question will be how much it will cost to get the 240v line installed in the garage. Our washer/dryer is in our house and as far as I can tell were never set up to be in the garage. The house is about 36 years old and we've been there for 4 years. I've never seen anything other than a standard outlet in the garage. I'm away from the house so I can't go look until tomorrow, but I will try to look to see if there is another outlet that's just been in a place that we've ignored. We use it mostly for storage, so it's not exactly clean and easy to see every outlet out there. I love the commercial for what is it Blink? That shows the guy getting his new charger installed. His garage looks like he's never used it and in a house that was just built. He has all of a couple of items in the entire garage. I mean come on! :) Anyway, if the install is $500 on top of the $300 for the upgraded charger, that's starting to get up close to $1000. Maybe it's still the most economical, but after putting $2,000 on a downpayment for the Leaf, I'm not exactly flush with cash, lol!

dvdmon said:
Anyway, if the install is $500 on top of the $300 for the upgraded charger, that's starting to get up close to $1000. Maybe it's still the most economical, but after putting $2,000 on a downpayment for the Leaf, I'm not exactly flush with cash, lol!
Yes, it's still the most economical because, as you yourself agreed with davewill upthread, if you don't have a 240v outlet you will have to pay the 240v circuit installation cost whatever L2 EVSE you get. The only way around that is to tie together two 120v circuits in the garage using a "Quick 220". If you do that you will probably be limited to 12A 240v charging, and you will definitely not be able to use a hard-wired wall-mount EVSE (but you can use the upgrade).

Ray

Back