derkraut
Delivery Date: 14 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 004248

Re: What do you wish you had known before purchase?

Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:05 pm

RonDawg wrote:
thankyouOB wrote:answer:
they wont sell you a new battery.
they wont pay you anything for your battery core or your used battery.
they will just take the old battery and charge you $100 a month forever to lease a new battery, which you cant keep.

Will you stop already? Your views on Nissan's battery replacement program are well known. No need to clog up additional threads on the subject.

Amen! It's getting kinda old, thankyouOB.
Derkraut
Color: Cayenne SLE, ETEC trim
reserved: 5/15/2010
Leaf del. 6/14/2011
New Traction battery installed on 7/28/2017: 12 bars @37.4K+mi. 100% charge: DD readings: Bat temp 81.3F, Gids=283, S=94.1, C=66.13, H=99.79 394V :)

Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:06 pm

RonDawg wrote:
they will just take the old battery and charge you $100 a month forever to lease a new battery, which you cant keep.

Will you stop already? Your views on Nissan's battery replacement program are well known. No need to clog up additional threads on the subject.
I don't mind thankyouOB expressing his view. It may be well known to you but not to newcomers who are asking the questions like the OP here. Not everybody may want to read about everything in this vast forum before wanting to ask a question, so repeated information to newcomers should be considered normal. After all, the OP did ask for people's input.

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:16 pm

Pay no attention to thankyouOB. If you lease you won't have to worry about it.

There are important differences between the SV and SL on one hand vs. the S on the other. Be sure you research them if you are considering a S. Find all the facts here: 2013 Nissan LEAF Press Kit. Click Specs at the top. (The 2014 will be very similar to the 2013.)

I was particularly reminded of this by the otherwise excellent cgaydos post above. Cancel timer cannot be used in the S model to switch between 80% and 100%, because the timer is very rudimentary. There are quite a number of other features missing from the S model.

Personally, I wished that I had insisted on seeing the S model backup camera in use before I got it. I might have gone for the feature anyway, because the QC port and 6kW charger are valuable, but I find the camera display almost useless, unlike the excellent display in the 2011-2012.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

JimSouCal

Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:49 pm

Volusiano wrote:
RonDawg wrote:

I don't mind thankyouOB expressing his view. It may be well known to you but not to newcomers who are asking the questions like the OP here. Not everybody may want to read about everything in this vast forum before wanting to ask a question, so repeated information to newcomers should be considered normal. After all, the OP did ask for people's input.
+1 I happily bought, but the bizarre Nissan battery monthly option does drive home an incentive to lease (there is always the buy out option). I predict by the time my own battery is toast, there will be other options...

Back to the topic... Furthermore, I have NEVER used my QC port... But wish I had the new faster charger for in the field charging.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:03 pm

I wish I had known what the car looked like before I leased it. Nissan forced me to wear a blindfold for the 24 month period before I got the car, when I finally saw it I didn't like it but it was too late I had already signed the papers and they wouldn't let me out of the lease.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

braineo
Delivery Date: 01 Dec 2012
Leaf Number: 008501

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:08 pm

I wished there was a long distance model with more space so I could ditch my remaining ICE SUV and never go back to using GAS.

It is quite addicting to have good torque, silent ride and never ever have to stop at a gas pump ever!

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:34 pm

thanks to all; Volusiano and especially JimSouCal, who actually got my point, which was to point out the downside for those of us who prefer not to lease.

and i wont stop complaining about being told very very very late in the game by nissan that i cant buy a replacement for the key part of the car that I OWN.
NO I WONT.

nor will i stop complaining about the deception from nissan in promising a battery price and then refusing to provide one and in selling a car with a battery and only 2+ years later telling buyers that we CANNOT BUY A REPLACEMENT.

I am really really tired and very very disappointed in seeing so many of you roll over for this. or maybe you are leasers and dont care what happens to others.

i cut nissan some slack when the battery degradation was more severe than advertised, especially in hot places. that may have actually been a surprise. i dunno. but i will not cut them slack or stop complaining about a corporate deception that is fully within their control to correct.
i have no idea why anyone would.
Last edited by thankyouOB on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Volusiano wrote:I don't mind thankyouOB expressing his view. It may be well known to you but not to newcomers who are asking the questions like the OP here. Not everybody may want to read about everything in this vast forum before wanting to ask a question, so repeated information to newcomers should be considered normal. After all, the OP did ask for people's input.

There's offering one's requested input, and then there's repeatedly pounding one's in place with a sledgehammer. He already let his views be known once in this thread...what I replied to was basically him arguing with a mod.

This is not the only thread where he's done this.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:21 pm

thankyouOB wrote:I am really really tired and very very disappointed in seeing so many of you roll over for this. or maybe you are leasers and dont care what happens to others.

I think I've made my position known elsewhere; I strongly dislike Nissan's announcement and they should keep their promise.

But it seems the OP is planning a 2-year relationship so probably not an issue for him. I do hope Nissan come to their senses and get over their terror of revealing the cost of the battery. Frankly the announcement was half-baked and obviously a last-minute attempt to save face; no doubt it will change.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

dm33
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:19 pm

RonDawg wrote:

++++1

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”