TimLee
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026

Re: Heater or A/C While Charging?

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:45 am

The experience I reported is with a 2011.
The 2013 forward DCQC protocol is different than the 2011 and 2012.

I didn't think the vehicle power states changed, but they could have changed them.
Someone needs to compare the manuals.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

johnrhansen
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409445

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:53 pm

I think the way to tell if the HV is on is to look for the battery idiot light. If it is on, then the HV is off, and vice versa.
2013 S model with quick charge package.
AV 30 amp level 2 EVSE, Bosch PowerMax 30 Amp EVSE, EVSE upgraded EVSE.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:05 pm

johnrhansen wrote:From my observations, there are 4 power on modes available to the car.

Drive mode. all is working. little car is showing, no idiot lights on. Accessed by pushing down the brake pedal and pushing the button. You can drive the car in this mode. The heat and A/c work in this mode.

charge mode. PS light is on. Battery charge indicator light is off. Little car is not showing. Heat and Ac work in this mode. Only available when car is plugged in and charging. (blue lights on dash blinking) Accessed by pushing button when car is plugged in and charging. Brake pedal on or off has no effect.

halfway on mode. all the dash indications show. Pretty much looks exactly like the charge mode above except that the battery charge indicator light is on. this is how I tell the difference between the two. The heater controls light up and the fan runs, but heat and ac do not work. Basically all of the normal things that are powered by 12 v are on, but all the things powered by HV are off. This is accessed by pushing the button with the brake pedal off and the car not plugged in and charging.

accessory mode. just the radio works. accessed by pushing the button again in the halfway on mode.

We've had discussions on the behavior and formal (in the manual) names are for the various states, at least while not plugged in. See viewtopic.php?p=279704#p279704. At the time, I didn't have a Leaf yet but was very familiar w/the similar states on my 06 Prius (Smart Key System in Toyota parlance) and my mom's 07 Altima Hybrid (Intelligent Key in Nissan parlance).

When the car is lit, that's READY mode.

I've personally found then when SoC is very low, I think somewhere around VLBW or below it, you can be plugged into L2 actively charging but the heater or AC (on my '13 SV) may not function while in ON mode. I've only ever hit that at very low SoC.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

johnrhansen
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409445

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:45 pm

there still is a mode distinct from the others listed in your post as I described earlier. "charge" mode. Which is "ON" mode with the battery idiot light off. Heat will work in the charge mode, it will not in on, but the fan will run. If you have it in charge mode, and the charger gets disconnected or shuts off, the battery idiot light come on, and the heater quits working, but the fan stays on and controls stay lit up. Basically, the charge mode reverts to the on mode. I found this out by experimenting with my car, not by reading anything.
2013 S model with quick charge package.
AV 30 amp level 2 EVSE, Bosch PowerMax 30 Amp EVSE, EVSE upgraded EVSE.

jkallen21
Delivery Date: 12 Aug 2013

Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:36 pm

I just did this today - and I've done it no problem in the past )but it would not blow cold today). Then the battery charged to 17% and cold air started blowing.

TimLee
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026

Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:32 am

jkallen21 wrote:I just did this today - and I've done it no problem in the past )but it would not blow cold today). Then the battery charged to 17% and cold air started blowing.

That is different than what the 2011 does.

On the 2011 the HVAC does not start operating after you get above the minimum power level for HVAC operation.

But if you stop charging and put the vehicle in Ready or On, and then go back to charging; then the HVAC will work while charging.

On the 2011 it is like the HVAC lock out does not clear until you have put the LEAF in Ready or On while being charged above the threshold amount.

I don't recall what the threshold power level is.
May be very low battery warning, 24 Gids.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

nerys
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2014
Leaf Number: 020441

Thu May 12, 2016 12:07 pm

I had the same issue with carwings now dead i could not turn on hvac while charging. The info in this thread foxed it for me.

The process for me in my 2012

Press the the charge timer off button. I hear the solenoids kick and the green plug illuminates. The power button twice then auto hvac button. Ac now works while charging/plugged in. I also note the 12v battery light is off so its charging too. Running on evse power. Nice.

Now we just need to figure out how to do this with a smart phone say bt to obd or something. I can get a freedompop phone for $30 and $0 monthly so the data connection is easy we just need the hardware/software to do it.
2012 SV 4802miles. 1month 2400 miles. 9 weeks 5000 miles. 6 months 13,300 miles. 4/18 15,000 miles.

jt123

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:38 pm

apologies if resurrecting old threads is bad manners, but i *think* this is relevant to this thread...

what i'm finding somewhat baffling here is the decision to allow the fan/blower to turn on during half-on mode. this moving of cold air around doesn't really do anything, *except* drains the 12V faster. why allow the user to hit the climate control button at all at this point and provide the correct visual feedback (AC/heat lights on), just to have it blow cold air?

perhaps there is a good reason for this that i'm not seeing...

when physically inside a fully charged and plugged-in vehicle, having to hit charge timer off (basically forcing the charger to turn on) and then turning on the car to start the AC so that you can draw power from the EVSE is a bit cumbersome, but based on the way the charging behaviour is implemented it does make some sense. and you can always choose to *not* draw from the EVSE and drain the traction battery a tiny bit before leaving, for whatever reason...

i have yet to confirm this, but i'm assuming that a remote (carwings) climate control ON command while plugged in will power the HVAC from the EVSE (assuming it can supply all the power), and not the traction battery?
2014 SL

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:42 pm

Resurrecting old threads is far better than starting new ones for no reason, believe me, as long as the post is on-topic. Anyway, I think it was just a lack of detailed programming that resulted in the above, not a fully thought out decision.
Last edited by LeftieBiker on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:18 pm

jt123 wrote:...
i have yet to confirm this, but i'm assuming that a remote (carwings) climate control ON command while plugged in will power the HVAC from the EVSE (assuming it can supply all the power), and not the traction battery?

It does not draw directly from the EVSE. Using the Remote Climate Control ON command actually turns the charger on to replace what is being drawn from the Traction Battery to power the climate control system.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”