jamieo
Delivery Date: 21 Feb 2015
Leaf Number: 330288

Re: Greetings from Memphis

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:45 am

sklancha wrote:I drove to Covington TN for my first time in an EV this Thanksgiving Holiday. Two things really stood out in Tennessee (with the exception of Nashville area) relative to other states I've traveled in. One, is that the majority of public charging stations (BLINK) are for profit, including Cracker Barrel. Two, is that the amount of public charging of any kind is relatively low. Cudo's to you all who are taking the leap before your state really shows better infrastructure support.

One of the most common responses I got when I asked about plugging in resources iis that it would make sense for them to have a charging station nearby (I always do my shopping and entertainment at locations with publich charging stations, if available) but nobody has ever asked before, so they are not sure if it would make sense to install one...

Several businesses let me plug in to their 110 v outlet while I was shopping in the area (a special thanks to Covington Town Square businesses for discussing making that resource public knowlege).

Don't be afraid to ask where you can plug in, when you go some where. If they hear it enough times, from enough people...

angel

thanks :D Around town it's not much of a problem. I've been out on my normal errands, work/after work things and have always returned home with at least 40% charge left. There are several free & paid stations around town, but I've only used the one at Whole Foods and one at the dealer where I bought my Leaf.
There's also an L2 station here at work, but it's for company vehicles only & we are not really supposed to use it. I am going to investigate and see if employees can use it for personal use, but I expect to get shot down. haha

sklancha
Delivery Date: 03 Jul 2015
Leaf Number: 006075

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:16 am

You don't know, if you don't ask, Jameio! And just because you CAN just charge at home, doesn't mean it wouldn't be good to do some public charging whenever the opportunity arises. Public charging increases public awareness, staves charge location parking spots from getting ICEd, increases your own awareness of pro's, con's, availability, etc., and makes it easier to venture out further because you get more comfortable as you spend less time nursing on the mother teet ;)

The biggest problem I found in the Memphis area was the for profit charging infrastructure. There were not too many that were either free or at cost. This kind of mentality causes a vicious cycle of anti-EV sentiment. If it cost almost as much to charge publicly than to buy gas- why by EV? A person dedicated enough to still get an EV doesn't use the public charging system, since the free/reasonable one's are so few and far between. Now that city can say there is not a need for increasing the amount available, and the EV driver becomes more tethered to the home range. Even as I stubbornly avoided the for profit charging locations, I still spent more money charging on my Tennessee trip than I did on trips to Massachussets, North Carolina, Washington D.C., and Key West Florida COMBINED!

angel

jamieo

Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:39 am

I took my 10 year old CR-V to my parents this weekend and now my LEAF is my only vehicle. it has been a little over a month since I brought it home and I've put a little over 1,100 miles on it. I am still learning its limitations and getting used to it, but I have no regrets on making the change haha.

Saturday, I noticed through the Plugshare app that 3 of the area Nissan dealers have installed L3 chargers- Wolfchase Nissan (Bartlett/Cordova), Jim Keras (Memphis- Covington Pike) and Landers Nissan (Southaven). It's been within the last couple of weeks that they installed these as I had not seen them previously.

jamieo

Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:05 am

Wolfchase Nissan has their CHAdeMO charging station up and running. I tried it out on Friday. Jim Keras Nissan has not gotten theirs installed yet, but they are getting close. I have not had a chance to check out Landers Nissan in Southaven yet.

LexLeaf14
Delivery Date: 18 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 326192

Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:28 pm

That is good to know, my mother lives in Southhaven area. I just bought my Leaf also and I was wondering about putting it on the road this summer to pay her a visit. The only problem, I now live in Kentucky and we don't have any CHAdeMO charging stations in the state. You guys are lucky! I can stop at RV parks heading south on I-65 to get into Nashville without much problem, but how do I make it to Jackson on I-40? Has anyone figured that leg out?

jamieo

Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:36 pm

LexLeaf14 wrote:That is good to know, my mother lives in Southhaven area. I just bought my Leaf also and I was wondering about putting it on the road this summer to pay her a visit. The only problem, I now live in Kentucky and we don't have any CHAdeMO charging stations in the state. You guys are lucky! I can stop at RV parks heading south on I-65 to get into Nashville without much problem, but how do I make it to Jackson on I-40? Has anyone figured that leg out?

Not yet, well, I have not. Haha. I'm not sure it's possible, yet. Plugshare shows some locations in Humbolt, Paris, and Jackson, but they are too far apart to make a trip from Nashville feasible. My parents live in Stewart County, TN and I've not figured out how to get there from the Memphis area yet. There are several parts of I-40 that's are long and empty. It would be ideal if some of the truckstops had charging options, but even they might be too far apart. Just getting from Jackson, TN (L2 charging stations) to the CHAdeMO charger at Wolfchase Nissan 65 miles. If there were a station in Brownsville, TN (exit 56) the trip from Memphis to JacksonWould be easier.
I rarely get past exit 126 on I-40, so I can't comment too much on the area between there and Nashville.

jamieo

Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:52 pm

I just checked out the North 40 Truckstop at exit 126 (Holladay, TN). They have RV parking and truck electrification systems so there might be an opportunity to charge there. I've stopped there dozens of times over the years to buy gas but I've never paid much attention to what other services they have.

Also, here is a list of these places along 40 in TN.
http://www.findfuelstops.com/truck-stop-on-I-40#TN

LexLeaf14
Delivery Date: 18 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 326192

Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:20 pm

jamieo wrote:I just checked out the North 40 Truckstop at exit 126 (Holladay, TN). They have RV parking and truck electrification systems so there might be an opportunity to charge there. I've stopped there dozens of times over the years to buy gas but I've never paid much attention to what other services they have.

Yes, please check the next time you stop there (for no reason because you're not buying gas!) see if they have a 50 Amp NEMA 14-50 for RV power? Thanks

jamieo

Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:13 am

This week has been my "heaviest" driving week since I bought my LEAF. I've had my teenage niece with me and I've had to shuttle her around along with going to work and back home. On top of the driving, it's been hot so I've been running the AC. My driving has ranged from about 74 miles to 90 miles each day.
The CHAdeMO station at Wolfchase Nissan has been helpful. I've used it twice to bump up the charge high enough that I can easily finish charging at L1 at home. I stopped for 10-15 minutes there in the afternoon. I could have technically made it home each afternoon on a single charge, but I doubt that I would have been able get to 100% by the time I needed to leave the next morning. Fortunately, I'm only 4 miles from the CHAdeMO station and there's Autonation Nissan about 1.5 miles from my office so I've got convenient places to charge for free.

I've been putting off getting a L2 EVSE installed at home simply because on my normal days I make it home with 40-50% remaining and it's no trouble to charge at L1 overnight.

jamieo

Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:17 am

Also, I tend to be a little conservative with the AC. I'm comfortable with the temperature set from 75-82, depending on the outside temp. I also use Auto climate control.
The impact on the expected range has varied from 3 to 10 miles.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”