What is your Average miles per kwh?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantD

We seem to get a steady 4.3 - 4.4. And we live at the top of a very steep hill. Always takes about 3-4% to drive up it.

Our 2013 Leaf has about 19.2 kwh on it which gives us a range of about 80 miles. We really rushed into our purchase but I have to say we are really enjoying it and having driven it for less than 2 months now we can really see EV's becoming mainstream as time goes on. It will take 20 years but the only issue is range, and that is going to steadily increase as the battery technology progresses.

In our first month we calculated we saved $160 on gas and our car payment is only $210. Not a bad cost of ownership.

GrantD said:
We seem to get a steady 4.3 - 4.4. And we live at the top of a very steep hill. Always takes about 3-4% to drive up it.

Our 2013 Leaf has about 19.2 kwh on it which gives us a range of about 80 miles. We really rushed into our purchase but I have to say we are really enjoying it and having driven it for less than 2 months now we can really see EV's becoming mainstream as time goes on. It will take 20 years but the only issue is range, and that is going to steadily increase as the battery technology progresses.

In our first month we calculated we saved $160 on gas and our car payment is only $210. Not a bad cost of ownership.

Many congrats, hope you keep enjoying your car! Depending on outside temperature and speed I was getting anywhere from 3.2 (winter) to 4.9 (summer) in mixed freeway and slower traffic.

I found it really depends on climate control and type of driving. Before TX heat hit and driving almost never on freeways, I was near 4.5 after very closely adhering to basics for improvement. Now I am near 3.8 with AC on all the time. If you make long commutes at 55, it will be 10 per cent or more higher. One afternoon trip up the Tollway to northern suburbs for a dental trip and return at near 60 lifted my month 10 per cent. Consequently you can only compare yourself against cars that go the same places you do. Somebody that commutes 60 miles a day with little city driving on the Tollway could blow through 5.

3.6 over two years without resetting.
I never use ECO, only use 'B' in town and 'D' on the highway.
Floor it everywhere! fun car to drive!
I have observed an average 10-12 Gid loss over the same two years which seems pretty good to me so far.
The Summers seem to generate the most loss of capacity in my measurements.

Over the last month or so, I am averaging 5.9 miles/kWh. I free wheel coast whenever I can, and I have the stock Ecopia tires at 45PSI.

When I turned in our 2012, its lifetime average was 3.7. Most of my driving is freeways and I don't worry about hyper-miling unless I'm trying to stretch the range, which is not that often.

I use eco mode almost exclusively, not because of economy but because I prefer the linear throttle-mapping. I ran the tires at 44psi not so much for economy but because I found the Ecopias required it for acceptable tire wear and handling.

20508678791_c1189b2614.jpg

All of my driving involves steep hills and significant elevation changes.

I usually get around 5.5. My commute is very stop and go on surface streets. In the winter that drops a bit--around 4.9 IIRC.

My 2012 seems to have narrow parameters. During this summer (I bought used about a month ago) I average 4.4-4.5 when I drive it like any other car (highway speeds, AC, mix of D and Eco). I average 4.7-4.8 when I drive at lower speeds, no AC, all Eco, moderate acceleration, etc. Whether I drive it like a reckless teen or a little old lady, I cannot seem to maintain an average outside the 4.4-4.8 range, and normally it is 4.6-4.7. We will see what winter brings, but since it lives in a garage I'm a bit hopeful.

I've never reset my meter from day 1. I'm at 4.3. About 90% of my driving is in the city on relatively flat terrain. I always drive in "B" mode.

aarond12 said:
I've never reset my meter from day 1. I'm at 4.3. About 90% of my driving is in the city on relatively flat terrain. I always drive in "B" mode.

Have you tried driving in D mode? I have 2015 S model and I am getting about 7.5km (around 4.66 miles) with 80% highway and 20% city driving. I believe with mostly city, you should get better, no?

My overall average is 4.8 since I bought the LEAF in February. On my normal drive to work (a little more than 15 miles at 40-45 mph on gently-rolling semi-rural roads) I get between 5 and 5.3 but on the weekends when I drive different routes, my overall average drops to under 5.

busybe said:
Have you tried driving in D mode?
I can't imagine how I would get better range in D mode. I use the B mode to decelerate and regain as much power as possible. I accelerate at 4-5 "bubbles" typically. If I really cared so much, I would accelerate at 2-3 bubbles (and piss off the people behind me). ;)

All Nissan Leaf lovers, we have created a tool free to use for all Leaf owners, you can calculate the cost of driving an EV and even compare this to that of a petrol car, for any trip. Follow this link https://www.ecocars4sale.com/electric-car-fuel-cost-comparison-calculator we also show you how many miles per charge you may expect to achieve, and how many battery size in KWh effects charge time. We have a range of used electric cars for sale including the Leaf for sale here https://www.ecocars4sale.com/ all MyNissanLeaf users can advertise their vehicle for free.

Back