CHADEMO

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecovolt1

Hi all, New member here. Had a Leaf 3 weeks now and I'm enjoying it. My dilemma is that I really need to be able to charge from the CHADEMO chargers. It seems that the 2 DC fast charging units that I've tried so far (2 different Nissan Dealerships), trip after only about a 25 mile gain. A temperature error shuts the Chademo down and I have to report it to someone at the dealership and I'm stuck with the level 2 j1772. The salesman I bought the EV from assures me that the problem is with the charger, not my car. Anyone have a similar problem?

It is pretty well known that those Nissan/Sumitomo DC Fast chargers were designed with a lower price point in mind and the overheating issue does happen (especially this time of year).

He is correct, it is not a car issue, but rather is an issue with the charging station itself.

With the CHAdeMO inlet that our company sells for the Toyota RAV4 EV, we actually have a button to reduce the charge rate from 115 amps to 60 amps on the Nissan chargers. That may or may not prevent them from overheating!

image.jpg1_8.jpg

I'd say about 80% of the free Nissan-branded chargers in Los Angeles are out this time of the year due to overheating. Commercial NRG installs using the same equipment continue to work though, according to Tony NRG used a contractor to beef up the cooling system in their units.

Thanks for the replies. Talked to a Leaf owner yesterday at the National Plug In event in St. Louis who is on a first name basis with all the service managers in the area, and also the Charge Point personnel. I guess you just have to be the "squeaky wheel" to try to get some results. Hopefully this will improve.

To put it bluntly, the Nissan QC units are pure crap and apparently designed by someone who did not have a clue! It is amazing how poorly designed they are and how many blatant errors they made! It is not a charger that you will ever be able to rely on always being functional... (Heck, not even being functional a majority of the time!) Nissan should be ashamed!

An eVgo rep told me they PM theirs every two weeks to keep the intake filters clean. It's a rare Nissan dealer that does the same. Why the designers put them at ground level is a head scratcher.

TomT said:
To put it bluntly, the Nissan QC units are pure crap and apparently designed by someone who did not have a clue! It is amazing how poorly designed they are and how many blatant errors they made! It is not a charger that you will ever be able to rely on always being functional... (Heck, not even being functional a majority of the time!) Nissan should be ashamed!

I would take a guess that the Nissan brand chargers main goal when it was designed was to be as cheap as possible to sell as many dealers as possible on the idea of putting in a quick charger.

Am I defending it or saying that it is not crap? No, but they probably had a good clue what they were doing and made it as cheap as possible to land the Nissan contract and get as many out there as they could.

What Nissan should be ashamed of is not making sure it gets updated. The simple answer would be a temp sensor that puts it in a reduced power mode, the better answer would be an revised cooling system. However from previous comments we can see the only owners who care are for those with units that make money!

Out of my own curiosity does anyone now how long the charger is out for if it has the temp error? Does it need to be serviced, reset or simply cool down?

minispeed said:
... Out of my own curiosity does anyone now how long the charger is out for if it has the temp error? Does it need to be serviced, reset or simply cool down?
If the unit trips on temp error it needs to have the filter(s) cleaned.
There are some fairly easy to service primary filters and some internal filters that require special trained technician for service.
Should NOT be used any more until they are cleaned.

But unfortunately that did not happen at many dealers.

Unit would cool down and start working. Not sure how long cool down took as it never happened while charging my LEAF.

But with multiple thermal cycles the components eventually fail.
So in Chattanooga the $12,000 unit (which Nissan bought) needs a $5,000 repair.
Dealer won't pay and so far dealer hasn't gotten Nissan to do anything.

A lot of the Chattanooga unit tripping was when used by a Tesla.
The unit is 44 kW and with LEAF use rarely operated at 44 kW for more than five minutes.
But with Tesla would sit at 44 kW for a long time and often trip on temperature.

Now it is dead and all we have in Chattanooga is L2.
All of the DCQC are broken and the only one that might be repaired is the one at Sears.

The CHadeMo DC fast charger at the Nissan Dealership in O'Fallon, IL has been down, do to it overheating, every time have been there. The loyalty manager told us that it was a very common problem with Chademo DC chargers. I'm relieved to see that this is a common problem, because I thought that sounded fishy. But I'm also quite surprised, & annoyed, to learn that Nissan hasn't managed to take care of the problem if it is that common.

DOS said:
The CHadeMo DC fast charger at the Nissan Dealership in O'Fallon, IL has been down, do to it overheating, every time have been there. The loyalty manager told us that it was a very common problem with Chademo DC chargers. I'm relieved to see that this is a common problem, because I thought that sounded fishy. But I'm also quite surprised, & annoyed, to learn that Nissan hasn't managed to take care of the problem if it is that common.

The loyalty manager should look into cleaning or replacing the unit's air filters. It's unreal how auto dealerships can't conceive that these things might have maintenance requirements.

Back